Prospect Info: #160 Aarne Talvitie (C)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He seems like a hard working smart player. If he can skate well enough and keeps developing and eventually plays some on the 4th line in the NHL that's a great low round pick. He's already trending up and hopefully he has a leadership role at the WJC and performs as a glue guy on one of the top two lines.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
He's probably the best forward of team Finland in the ongoing WJC U20 tournament and that's not a bad feat considering there are some known names among those forwards. He's the captain as well.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He isn't a center, period. Doesn't play center at PSU and hasn't played center at the WJC. What makes people think he will play center in the NHL, the hardest league in the world. Also, he has nowhere near the speed John Madden had.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He isn't a center, period. Doesn't play center at PSU and hasn't played center at the WJC. What makes people think he will play center in the NHL, the hardest league in the world. Also, he has nowhere near the speed John Madden had.
Uh, he absolutely has played center at the WJC. He started as the 2/3C (depth chart had him as 3C but his line was de facto 2nd line based on deployment), he was moved to the wing when they put him with Kupari and Heponiemi. I agree that he's more likely to be a winger in the NHL though.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Uh, he absolutely has played center at the WJC. He started as the 2/3C (depth chart had him as 3C but his line was de facto 2nd line based on deployment), he was moved to the wing when they put him with Kupari and Heponiemi. I agree that he's more likely to be a winger in the NHL though.
He was 3rd line LW..moved up to 2nd line LW then the last two games one of the wings, can't remember but I feel it was RW. He most certainly isn't in the top 5 Finland players in faceoffs, I can't even find a stat of him taking a faceoff.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

he definitely played C

he hasn't since he moved to the top line, but he definitely has played there.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Lineups for every game

Game 1: Talvitie - Virtanen - Ylonen
Game 2: Talvitie - Virtanen - Ylonen
Game 3: Talvitie - Virtanen - Ylonen
Game 4: Talvitie - Virtanen - Ylonen
Game 5: Talvitie - Kupari - Heponiemi
Game 6: Heponiemi - Kupari - Talvitie

Kupari is the top faceoff player for Finland.
Virtanen is the 3rd best faceoff player for Finland.
Lundell is #2

Talvitie has not played center during the tournament, maybe pre tourney games.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He was 3rd line LW..
"3rd line" is really misleading. The only games where he wasn't in the top 3 for ice time among forwards was against Kazakhstan where they were dominating and rested him, and against the US where they were dominated and rested him. He was 3rd against Sweden, 2nd against Slovakia and Switzerland, and 1st against Canada.

I don't necessarily agree that he was playing LW. Virtanen was taking most of the faceoffs (Talvitie isn't great at faceoffs), but was playing the left wing position on the line with Ylonen on right wing.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Honestly, if he's not firmly entrenched in the center position before he comes to the NHL, I find it hard imagine him playing C once he's up.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
"3rd line" is really misleading. The only games where he wasn't in the top 3 for ice time among forwards was against Kazakhstan where they were dominating and rested him, and against the US where they were dominated and rested him. He was 3rd against Sweden, 2nd against Slovakia and Switzerland, and 1st against Canada.

I don't necessarily agree that he was playing LW. Virtanen was taking most of the faceoffs (Talvitie isn't great at faceoffs), but was playing the left wing position on the line with Ylonen on right wing.
He plays first PP and first PK. His minutes are bound to be near the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->