15 year old may be charged with battery after hockey hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'm not sure what forum to post this on...... but this was on the front of the sports page today.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/local/index.php?ntid=70975

Some kid was forced to have his spleen removed after being the victim of a late hit.
On the advise of an attorney, the kid's parents reported it to the police and may seek battery charges on the 15 year old who hit their son.
I feel sorry for the injured player but hockeys a rough sport - freak accidents happen.

Here's a video of the hit. Click on 'video story' on top.
http://www.wkowtv.com/index.php/news/story/p/pkid/23213#videowindow

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
this is a freak accident. hits like this happen all the time.

noone will get charged.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
While it was a bit dirty- it appeared as though the 15 year-old had his stick positioned as you might during a crosscheck, and saw the 17 year-old coming- I don't see battery here. Not at all.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Ummm... It was kinda a late hit I guess, but I've never heard of that causing a ruptured spleen.

Take a hike with these charges. :shakehead

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
No case whatsoever IMO. The hit wasn't late IMO, the whistle was blown milliseconds before the player was hit(clean hit too), so it's not like the kid went out, chased the other kid down and hit him, it was part of the game. If the parents can't accept that hockey is a rough sport and there is potential for their child to get hurt, too bad, they allowed him to play. It was a freak accident that was caused by an everyday play in a hockey game. Nobody is at fault.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
This happened in the US (of course). I don't think anywhere else in the world anyone would have entertained charges in this situation.

Ridiculous. :shakehead

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I would be very surprised to see charges laid. Police are contemplating laying charges, but they should charge the parents of the injured kid with child endangerment. :sarcasm:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Where did the kid learn to handle the puck like that? Eric Lindros?

TheFinalWord said:
I would be very surprised to see charges laid. Police are contemplating laying charges, but they should charge the parents of the injured kid with child endangerment. :sarcasm:

Agree

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Great hit, where can we sign the kid up.

Agree

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
watching the replay the second time they show the hit....what wrong with it? his stick isnt up, when you watch close - the whistle goes just before the hit, and the kid had his head down heading right into the accused kid...who didnt do anything but stand him up. watching the reply, unless youre calling the game real tight to keep it under control..im not convinced its even a penalty. you would call it just because the kid was hurt and everyone was pissed, knowing to yourself as you called it that it was a good hit and the player had his head down. there wasnt any time to avoid contact after the whistle.

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca
The hit is completely fine as far as I'm concerned, maybe a scoatch after the whistle, but other than that, it's a regular hockey hit. No elbow, no high stick, just a good hard hit.

The guy is basically being sued for hitting too hard. Fantastic, maybe those parents should sign their son up for badminton next year.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Geez when I saw this thread I was expecting it to be a face first hit into the boards or a flying elbow to the head or something.

That was a clean open ice hit a second after a whistle. big deal. move on. Sucks that the kid got injured, but those things happen.

You can't press charges against someone for throwing a normal check on you a second after a whistle.

Deleted member 3032

Before people jump on the injured kid, keep in mind that his parents are the one's suing, not the son. I'm not sure if the son agrees with the lawsuit, but I doubt he's much for it. Jump on the parents if you want, however I don't really blame them for (severely) overreacting to their son having a serious injury.

That said, it was a clean hit. It was a split second after the whistle, but there was no way for the kid who was laying out the hit to do respond that quick. He basically just stood up the 17 YO who skated into him.

Nice hit. Sucks about the injury, though. :(

Chuck Norris*

norstrom broke forsbergs spleen... i didnt see any battery charges

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
It looks like a clean hit, the only reason the guy's spleen got injured was because the checker was so short. He was looking at his feet at the time; if the checker had been a bit taller: concussion/neck injury city...

Are they going to start banning short guys now?

I hope the parents will need to pay the court fees back.

DaveBrown21

May 25, 2005
Virginia
Clean hit all the way in my opinion.

But look closely at the replay at the dude's leg fold under him as he's going down. Yikes! If he didn't tear an ACL or MCL or both, it's a miracle. Ugly.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
gamera said:
This happened in the US (of course). I don't think anywhere else in the world anyone would have entertained charges in this situation.

Ridiculous. :shakehead

Didn't Hasek check a player and injure him playing roller hockey during his year long retirement in the Czech Republic that brought charges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad