Line Combos: 15/16 forward lines

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I've seen it cluttering other threads, and several other fanbases have a special thread for this, so let's start. Most 'consensus' top9 forward lines look like this:

Ladd-Little-X
Perreault-Scheifele-X
X-Lowry-X

where X are filled by RW Wheeler, RW Stafford, LW/RW Burmistrov, and RW/LW Ehlers.

Fun with super-WOWYs last season:

Ladd-Little-Wheeler:
486:40 min, 53.6 OZone%, 56.9 CF%, 63.9 GF% (23-13)
Ladd-Little-Frolik:
289:59 min, 60.2 OZone%, 51.7 CF%, 50.0 GF% (8-8)
Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler:
79:26 min, 49.0 OZone%, 66.2 CF%, 100.0 GF% (3-0)
Perreault-Scheifele-Frolik:
247:50 min, 48.9 OZone%, 55.7 CF%, 48.1 GF% (13-14)
Stafford-Scheifele-Wheeler:
180:38 min, 50.3 OZone%, 45.6 CF%, 84.6 GF% (11-2)

What I read into these numbers:
a) LLW are real gud keep them together pls best jets line evar
b) LLF was not such a good idea. Makes me hesitant to put Frolik 2.0 (aka Burmistrov) on the first line.
c) PSW hardly played together
d) PSF was pretty good, although the results didn't come
e) SSW was pretty bad, although the results look awesome

My personal conclusion:
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Scheifele-Stafford
Burmistrov-Lowry-Ehlers
If Ehlers is good, switch him with Stafford.
Do NOT dismantle LLW. Only think about that if Ehlers is trending for a Calder trophy run.

Your thoughts?

Oh, and my fourth line would be Thorburn-Copp-Armia.

bogostick

Jun 13, 2014
Something out of the ordinary;

Ehlers scheif wheeler
Ladd lowry little
Perreault burmi stafford

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've seen it cluttering other threads, and several other fanbases have a special thread for this, so let's start. Most 'consensus' top9 forward lines look like this:

Ladd-Little-X
Perreault-Scheifele-X
X-Lowry-X

where X are filled by RW Wheeler, RW Stafford, LW/RW Burmistrov, and RW/LW Ehlers.

Ladd-Little-Wheeler:
Ladd-Little-Frolik:

b) LLF was not such a good idea. Makes me hesitant to put Frolik 2.0 (aka Burmistrov) on the first line.

My personal conclusion:
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Burmistrov-Lowry-Ehlers
Do NOT dismantle LLW. Only think about that if Ehlers is trending for a Calder trophy run.

Your thoughts?

PSW did not play together as much as I remember but they were good, as I remember. So I will try to keep them together.

Ladd-Little-Stafford
Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler
Burmi-Lowry-Ehlers
Thorburn-Copp-Armia - anybody else remember Trans Canada Airlines?

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
I say gamble on youth, but keep the lines that really work together. This gives us depth at all positions and combines possession with scoring on all lines.

Ladd Little Wheeler (Dzone High qoc)
Perreault Schiefele Stafford (Ozone High qoc)
Petan Burmistrov Ehlers (Ozone Low qoc)
Lowry Copp Armia (Dzone Low qoc)

Thorburn

Enstrom Byfuglien
Morrissey Trouba
Stuart Myers

Chiarot Postma

Hutchinson
Pavelec

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How about....

Ladd-Little-Stafford

(Ladd and Little can carry a line, and Stafford can play at their pace. This line would be tough along the walls in the O-zone, but might drive me insane on break-outs with Ladd and Staff).

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler

(Zooooommmmm!)

Perreault-Lowry-Burmi

(Could dominate most 3rd lines with aggressive forechecking and dynamite defensive and possession games. Perreault gets to be the sniper on the line).

Petan-Copp-Armia

(You want a youth movement? No way Thorbs sits, and no way that Maurice plays and all-rookie line, but I wouldn't be surprised if this line didn't hold its own by mid-season. Petan and Copp are smart defensively, and Armia is a big, smart player).

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
I might not see the prime Ryan Kesler upside for Lowry that some other people here see, but I would be sad if he was degraded to 4LW.

It's not a knock on Lowry's game, just a symptom of depth and trying to run 4 good lines. Besides, I like the idea that you can move players up the line up without losing too much. We all know that injuries are going to impact lines throughout the season.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ladd Little Wheeler ~18 minutes
Perrault Scheifele Stafford ~18 minutes
Burmi Lowry Armia ~14 minutes
Thorburn Petan Ehlers ~10 minutes

Enstrom-Myers ~24 minutes
Buff-Trouba ~24 minutes
Stu/Chiarot-Postma ~12 minutes

How good could buff and Trouba be together? Buff still has 3-4 good years in him easily.

My crystal ball says Buff and Ladd are re-signed because anyone with a calculator can figure out that we CAN afford them both AND re-sign Scheifele, Trouba and Lowry.

Morrissey gets called up before the All Star Break and because of injury, Helle gets called up before Christmas.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

Ladd-Little-X
Perreault-Scheifele-X
X-Lowry-X

Ladd-Little-Wheeler:
Ladd-Little-Frolik:

My personal conclusion:
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Burmistrov-Lowry-Ehlers

Your thoughts?

Looks good!

I posted that same lineup as my best guess to start the season.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I expect to see mcpw's line-up from the top post, but Whileee's would be pretty darn cool too, provided Ehler's is up for it. Agree with Whileee that it is highly unlikely Thor gets pushed off the starting lineup though.

Still, we could see all 4 rookies not too far into the season due to injury. Which player gets the first call-up will be almost as interesting as the starting line-up. Is it one of our 2-way contract vets, or one of the new guys?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
My personal conclusion:
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Burmistrov-Lowry-Ehlers

Your thoughts?

My thoughts? I'd be quite happy with those lines, and agree with the Stafford for Ehlers swap if it's making sense part way into the season. Lowry and Burmi have enough defensive conciousness to help Ehlers ease into the NHL on the 3rd - that'd be a very interesting line, methinks. Burmi and Lowry could probably also carry Stafford, and he'd bring a good amount of scoring to that line as well.

I've resigned myself to Thor, so I like your 4th line - I think I proposed that in some other random thread myself.

Me like.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I say gamble on youth, but keep the lines that really work together. This gives us depth at all positions and combines possession with scoring on all lines.

Ladd Little Wheeler (Dzone High qoc)
Perreault Schiefele Stafford (Ozone High qoc)
Petan Burmistrov Ehlers (Ozone Low qoc)
Lowry Copp Armia (Dzone Low qoc)

Thorburn

Enstrom Byfuglien
Morrissey Trouba
Stuart Myers

Chiarot Postma

Hutchinson
Pavelec

Petan in, Thor out I like but I doubt it happens. Is this thread about predicting or choosing? If I go your way I think I put Petan in between Burmi and Ehlers. I also play Chiarot before Stuart. That's my choices not my predictions.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Petan in, Thor out I like but I doubt it happens. Is this thread about predicting or choosing? If I go your way I think I put Petan in between Burmi and Ehlers. I also play Chiarot before Stuart. That's my choices not my predictions.

Why not post both? What you'd like to see, and what you think you'll see? For me, in agreeing with mcpw, that's what I think we'll see. What I'd like to see is:

Ladd - Little - Stafford
Perreault - Scheif - Wheeler
Burmi - Lowry - Ehlers
Petan - Copp - Armia

Enstrom - Trouba
Morrissey - Myers
Chiarot - Buff

Hutchinson
Hellebuyck

Ain't going to happen, but that's what I'd like to see. I do worry about the minutes for the d-men - I think I'd rather see:

Enstrom - Trouba
Buff - Myers
Morrissey - Postma

...just to balance the time. Gives Buff top 4 minutes, and helps ease Morrissey into the line-up.

I also like Whilee's line-up - that 2nd line would be rather hard to catch. :nod:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Perreault was very happy to play LW instead of C. Freed him up do what he does best.

Oh, you didn't like that blender serving....then how about something more fun:
Ladd Little Wheeler
Perreault Scheif Staff
Ehlers Burmi Petan
Lowry Copp Armia

Oh the skill on that third line!

edit: I don't think Lowry starts on the 4th line, but what I do think is that when our top end skill (see third line) eventually pushes Lowry down to 4th line, we will finally have the depth this team needs, AND will finally play our 4th line for 10-11 minutes.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh, you didn't like that blender serving....then how about something more fun:
Ladd Little Wheeler
Perreault Scheif Staff
Ehlers Burmi Petan
Lowry Copp Armia

Oh the skill on that third line!

edit: I don't think Lowry starts on the 4th line, but what I do think is that when our top end skill (see third line) eventually pushes Lowry down to 4th line, we will finally have the depth this team needs, AND will finally play our 4th line for 10-11 minutes.

I like that better. You have a point about Lowry on the 4th line but I think he is going to continue to improve and be pretty tough to push down. If it happens your way it is a good thing. :)

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
WHAT IF...

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Burmi - Scheifele - Stafford
Thorburn - Lowry - Ehlers
Perreault - Copp - Armia/Petan

Now all 4 lines can... you know... play, while still having a very tough top 6.

Perreault and Ehlers swap in for Stafford and Burmi on the PP.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
It won't happen this year and maybe never, but I'd like to see

Ehlers-Petan-Armia

I know Ehlers likes the right wing but I'm putting him on left for this line. Gives you a guy who's a great passer and a good shooter (Petan), and guy who's mostly a shooter but can also pass (Armia, from what I've read about him), and a guy who can do both really well (Ehlers). Good to great skating, decent defensively (depending on progress), great offensive potential.

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
WHAT IF...

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Burmi - Scheifele - Stafford
Thorburn - Lowry - Ehlers
Perreault - Copp - Armia/Petan

Now all 4 lines can... you know... play, while still having a very tough top 6.

Perreault and Ehlers swap in for Stafford and Burmi on the PP.

I wouldn't want to see Ehlers saddled with Thorburn, and I don't think Lowry can keep up with Ehlers either skating-wise or thinking-wise (offensively at least).

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb

I'm injecting our top end talent into the current line up. The team has indicated a youth movement, so there it is. Chiarot has been sat in favour of Stuart in the past, he's also on the team so he'll play. Stuart is okay on the third pairing and brings other value to the team. Chiarot might be a better player than Stuart, in the long run or not. Besides, on average a defenseman misses around a dozen games, there's plenty of icetime for Chiarot and Postma to pick up over the season.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I wouldn't want to see Ehlers saddled with Thorburn, and I don't think Lowry can keep up with Ehlers either skating-wise or thinking-wise (offensively at least).

I agree it's not ideal. But the idea is to separate Copp and Thorbs, as they are likely to be our weakest possession guys.

As for Lowry keeping up with Nik, Meier was no skating dynamo and benefited greatly from Ehlers. Nik can carry it in and then pick up the trailer often for a nice goal.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I
My personal conclusion:
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Burmistrov-Lowry-Ehlers

Your thoughts?

Pretty much the agreed upon lineup that most are comfortable with. Given that, however, it won't happen & in fact may not be close.

Mo & company like to keep us all guessing & wrong so what surprises are in store from TC. I bet another vet gets signed or gets an invite to TC & "wins" the battle for a 4th line spot. Burmi may get stuck on the 4th line as well. Ehlers & Petan both get a spot in the top 9 (now that would be sweet!).

Maybe management has seen something they really like in Kosmo/Lipon/Lemieux & one of those guys gets the last 4th line spot. Heck maybe they all come to their senses & Thorbs/Hali/peluso all get relegated to the sidelines (not).

If we've learned anything is to expect the unexpected. Rule # 2 is to expect the vets get most of the positions out of TC. Rule # 3 -- expect Pavs to be the unquestioned starter & Stu an unquestioned top 4 D

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Pretty much the agreed upon lineup that most are comfortable with. Given that, however, it won't happen & in fact may not be close.

Mo & company like to keep us all guessing & wrong so what surprises are in store from TC. I bet another vet gets signed or gets an invite to TC & "wins" the battle for a 4th line spot. Burmi may get stuck on the 4th line as well. Ehlers & Petan both get a spot in the top 9 (now that would be sweet!).

Maybe management has seen something they really like in Kosmo/Lipon/Lemieux & one of those guys gets the last 4th line spot. Heck maybe they all come to their senses & Thorbs/Hali/peluso all get relegated to the sidelines (not).

If we've learned anything is to expect the unexpected. Rule # 2 is to expect the vets get most of the positions out of TC. Rule # 3 -- expect Pavs to be the unquestioned starter & Stu an unquestioned top 4 D

I think PMO is not that predictable. He did infact give Lowry a 3rd line centre job (unexpected), he also gave Hutch more starts than most expected and kept the starters job a competition. He also kept playing Chairot once he earned a spot. And although Thor played up the line up more than we had hoped, he played quite well last year and is a very servicable 4th liner.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Ladd Little Wheeler ~18 minutes
Perrault Scheifele Stafford ~18 minutes
Burmi Lowry Armia ~14 minutes
Thorburn Petan Ehlers ~10 minutes

Enstrom-Myers ~24 minutes
Buff-Trouba ~24 minutes
Stu/Chiarot-Postma ~12 minutes

How good could buff and Trouba be together? Buff still has 3-4 good years in him easily.

My crystal ball says Buff and Ladd are re-signed because anyone with a calculator can figure out that we CAN afford them both AND re-sign Scheifele, Trouba and Lowry.

Morrissey gets called up before the All Star Break and because of injury, Helle gets called up before Christmas.

Those mins. per game assume no penalties are called in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad