1290 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Ralphie is a bit of a conundrum for me. I think on one hand he is pretty skilled at what he does, but on the other he has so many "things" that kinda bug me that it's hard to listen to him at times. I think his interviews too often devolve into weird little conversational asides and "friendly banter" back and forth between him and his guests - and man once the interview is done he takes forever to end it. You'll get about a half dozen little "clever quips" back and forth before they finally bring it to a close and move on. He's a little heavy on the snark and the clever word-play too. Every single time he uses the phrase "lo and behold" he has to inform us that he "always thought it would be a great name for a law firm." H'yuck, h'yuck, h'yuck. Every. Single. Time.

He's been on vacay quite a lot lately.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Ralphie is a bit of a conundrum for me. I think on one hand he is pretty skilled at what he does, but on the other he has so many "things" that kinda bug me that it's hard to listen to him at times. I think his interviews too often devolve into weird little conversational asides and "friendly banter" back and forth between him and his guests - and man once the interview is done he takes forever to end it. You'll get about a half dozen little "clever quips" back and forth before they finally bring it to a close and move on. He's a little heavy on the snark and the clever word-play too. Every single time he uses the phrase "lo and behold" he has to inform us that he "always thought it would be a great name for a law firm." H'yuck, h'yuck, h'yuck. Every. Single. Time.

He's been on vacay quite a lot lately.

Yeah, he's got the feeling of a guy who really likes to hear himself talk. Never have really liked him.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
There are a ton of nice american Micro Brews and I like some Sam Adam's beers, but their large scale beers are blah.

I can second that. I was working in Los Angeles the last week of May and spent last week working in San Diego. The grocery store aisle dedicated to beer had about 3/4 micro brews versus 1/4 of the standard stuff (Coors, Miller, etc.)

Some of the micro brews were very good :handclap:

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I haven't listened in almost 2 months now - did they take over RR's spot? I like JP - some good insight, very self deprecating, and funny. He's a goofy hockey player, and he knows it and uses it to his advantage when on the air. Quite refereshing.

I just wish he was less of a cliche machine but I pretty much say that of most former pros

but yeah, goofy personality makes him very easy listening

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I just wish he was less of a cliche machine but I pretty much say that of most former pros

but yeah, goofy personality makes him very easy listening

The cliché thing is weird to me. I truly believe a number of the cliché machines struggle to think beyond them. It is like it got hammered so hard I to their heads that critical thinking ir analysis don't exist.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
The cliché thing is weird to me. I truly believe a number of the cliché machines struggle to think beyond them. It is like it got hammered so hard I to their heads that critical thinking ir analysis don't exist.

Looks at some of our local columnists to see what happens when those who aren't capable try and provide analysis.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Other than interviews with retired pro wrazzlers hawking books, my favorite thing to hear on 1290 is interviews with "competitive eating" champions. :yo:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
hmmm, wonder why Rome is on this afternoon? (It's worse than the Rona Roundtable btw... :( )

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
hmmm, wonder why Rome is on this afternoon? (It's worse than the Rona Roundtable btw... :( )

Round Table was pre-empted for the World Cup, and 1pm is usually the Round Table replay. Since there was no show, there's no replay, so they put ol' Jim on there.

seasontixholder*

What a great day for 1290. No Ralph. Sooner have the Jim Rome show than him any day. I hate the replays. Couldn't they do more of this instead of replaying the Big Show and the Round Table?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I hate Rome. Can't listen to his show at all. I used to like it when it started running back about 5 years ago here but now it's just awful...I honestly prefer the replays.

seasontixholder*

I hate Rome. Can't listen to his show at all. I used to like it when it started running back about 5 years ago here but now it's just awful...I honestly prefer the replays.

I'd rather listen to Adler than Ralph. Ralph is quite possibly the most annoying person on the radio. I listened to his show a few times at the beginning and that was enough. Haven't listened to him since. But that's just my opinion.

seasontixholder*

Oh yeah, he's annoying...but I like him more than Rome.

Rome is a lot like Jim Carrey. Get's old quick. I love NCAA football and NFL. He talks a lot about those leagues. So it's not him, it's his show.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
If they went to AM and FM, I feel like 1290 would do better. Their AM signal is absolute garbage. All mp3 players receive FM. Using an app on your phone costs data. Reaching more of an audience means they'd have the revenue to not play replays during the day. Rewucki (sp?), Marcoux, Wazny, Illegal Curve guys...any one of them have something to add that could fill in for the 3 hours of replays.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
If they went to AM and FM, I feel like 1290 would do better. Their AM signal is absolute garbage. All mp3 players receive FM. Using an app on your phone costs data. Reaching more of an audience means they'd have the revenue to not play replays during the day. Rewucki (sp?), Marcoux, Wazny, Illegal Curve guys...any one of them have something to add that could fill in for the 3 hours of replays.

Not sure if serious :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->