TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
I'm a fan of Rick Ralph and I enjoyed his spots with Hustler lately, however I did notice something weird. When he was on with Hustler, he seemed to be continually interrupting both Hustler and the guests. I found it distracting.

Im assuming it will improve the longer he's on the show, but I'm wondering if anyone else noticed this?

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I'm not a fan of RR. His sense of humor is really weird. Not funny at all and pretty predictable after a while. His show was basically ok when he stuck to the script, but when he injects his ad lib spin on it, that's when he loses me.

I know it's not his fault but also all that bs about my pillow drives me crazy. Especially how he throws it in there in the middle of a dialogue, where it sounds like he's going into another story, and it ends up being a plug for my pillow.

Some of his earlier dialogues with Shane Hnidy were cringe worthy. Shane's learned to handle the weird questions he would throw unexpectedly his way like a champ.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm not a fan of RR. His sense of humor is really weird. Not funny at all and pretty predictable after a while. His show was basically ok when he stuck to the script, but when he injects his ad lib spin on it, that's when he loses me.

I know it's not his fault but also all that bs about my pillow drives me crazy. Especially how he throws it in there in the middle of a dialogue, where it sounds like he's going into another story, and it ends up being a plug for my pillow.

Some of his earlier dialogues with Shane Hnidy were cringe worthy. Shane's learned to handle the weird questions he would throw unexpectedly his way like a champ.

Yeah not a huge fan of Ralph's humor myself. His quips often leave guests baffled and confused trying to figure out what he's talking about.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I can generally take (rarely) or leave (usually) Gabe Morency but he just did a very good shoot promo ripping on the Mayweather McGregor fight that was actually pretty well done.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Hustler confirmed Kevin O will be taking over DonVito Roundtable. I don't have high expectations, but hope he proves me wrong.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I can generally take (rarely) or leave (usually) Gabe Morency but he just did a very good shoot promo ripping on the Mayweather McGregor fight that was actually pretty well done.

can't stand the guy. All I can think when he's on is "shut up you moron!" lol...

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Putting Ralph on with Hus weakens an already weak station. Those two are the only ones who now what their talking about. Now there is only one time slot to listen to that station during hockey season. Notice I said during hockey season?

As for podcast.....Marek vs Wysh is the best hockey podcast out there. Anytime you can listen to Marek you should. Rogers is grossly underusing him in their hockey coverage. They used to do a podcast everyday but since Rogers got the TV rights they went to three days a week and now only once a week during the season. Go listen to some of the older podcasts. They're fantastic.

Puck Soup is another great podcast. It's Dave Lozo and Wysh. It is once a week and comes out on Thursday. Mostly hockey but they do discuss pop culture a little. Very worthwhile.

The nice thing about these podcasts is there not Toronto centric. Overall hockey talk.

The PDOcast is another good one.
If you want some laughs the AIH Superfans Podcast is good. They discuss the Jets.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Kudos to Rick for bringing some sanity to the toucdown and win non winner.

Any word if Kevin O will be doing the call in and post game show after Jets games?

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Kudos to Rick for bringing some sanity to the toucdown and win non winner.

Any word if Kevin O will be doing the call in and post game show after Jets games?

Yes, Rick has said Kevin O will do both the Roundtable and post games.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
You guys should listen to hockey podcasts instead of relying on local talk radio for your hockey fix. There are many good ones to keep you occupied in your commutes and whenever you wanna hear some hockey talk

Agreed.

Can you recommend some?

Biscuits!

Also, as mentioned, the PDOcast and, to a far, far lesser extent, Maryk vs. Wyshynski (Wyshynski basically being what everyone hates in Toth--uneducated hot takes and unearned broadcasting confidence).

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
RR was chatting and it sounded like the ratings on the Round Table were really good and grew over the years too. Good for him I admit RR grew on me over the years.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
RR was chatting and it sounded like the ratings on the Round Table were really good and grew over the years too. Good for him I admit RR grew on me over the years.

He grew from "meh" to "Favorite radio personality" pretty quickly for me.

I don't even agree with him as much as I do with other guys, but he speaks in an intellectually honest way when he does voice his opinions. It's something that I've grown to appreciate now that I'm in the reporting business. He's also more than willing to absolutely bury callers on call in shows, which I enjoy immensely.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
So no talk of Canada's soccer team at the Gold Cup? Wow.

You've got Alphonso Davies, a 16 year old phenom and arguably the brightest light we've ever seen in Canadian soccer; the kid just bagged his third goal of the tournament last night. Then you've got the total cluster**** with French Guiana and incompetent, corrupt CONCACAF that will very likely screw Canada out of a better spot. That's plenty of fodder.

Oh, and they could be like most casual fans and drone on about why our MNT is no good and ranked behind the Faroe Islands and Sierra Leone. Another hour of fodder right there! :laugh:

I have no clue what this even means.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So no talk of Canada's soccer team at the Gold Cup? Wow.

You've got Alphonso Davies, a 16 year old phenom and arguably the brightest light we've ever seen in Canadian soccer; the kid just bagged his third goal of the tournament last night. Then you've got the total cluster**** with French Guiana and incompetent, corrupt CONCACAF that will very likely screw Canada out of a better spot. That's plenty of fodder.

Oh, and they could be like most casual fans and drone on about why our MNT is no good and ranked behind the Faroe Islands and Sierra Leone. Another hour of fodder right there! :laugh:

I heard some talk of it on the morning show the day after the Guiana game but nothing about the Malouda thing.

I'd rather they say nothing if they don't know what they're talking about. I've heard them use FIFA rankings to predict World Cup groups enough to know that a lot of casual fans don't know how stupid FIFA rankings are.

It's looking like a quarters match against Jamaica on Thursday if this Mexico score holds so we'll see if it's mentioned then. The team looks much better under the new manager already.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I heard some talk of it on the morning show the day after the Guiana game but nothing about the Malouda thing.

I'd rather they say nothing if they don't know what they're talking about. I've heard them use FIFA rankings to predict World Cup groups enough to know that a lot of casual fans don't know how stupid FIFA rankings are.

It's looking like a quarters match against Jamaica on Thursday if this Mexico score holds so we'll see if it's mentioned then. The team looks much better under the new manager already.

1290 does their best football (soccer) work when they bring on guests because sadly Footie is not in any of the guys wheelhouses. Eating gets better coverage. When Hus brings on Nick Zif during World and Euro cups he is entertaining for a non expert.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
1290 does their best football (soccer) work when they bring on guests because sadly Footie is not in any of the guys wheelhouses. Eating gets better coverage. When Hus brings on Nick Zif during World and Euro cups he is entertaining for a non expert.

Troy tries but doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on it. I haven't heard that guest before.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Troy tries but doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on it. I haven't heard that guest before.

He is a local restaurant owner (Nicolinos) who is a big sports fan and I think he and Hustler have great chemistry on the air. They share a passion for sport betting which I have zero interest in but Nic is passionate about Footie and similar to how Libel was with baseball they can bring a sport to life with their passion. The reason I know Nic and Huss have chemistry is when they are talking about betting on the NFL I find it entertaining and humorous and I don't bet on the NFL.

Last edited:

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
So the new guy in Rick Ralph's spot wasn't too bad. Definitely more jovial sounding, and seems a bit more upbeat on the air. Not necessarily a bad thing imo.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
So the new guy in Rick Ralph's spot wasn't too bad. Definitely more jovial sounding, and seems a bit more upbeat on the air. Not necessarily a bad thing imo.

Kevin has a good sense of humour and is a happy guy. Too bad ctv cut local sports coverage and let their staff go. Glad he found work but would this be a promotion or demotion? I like Kevin O.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Kevin has a good sense of humour and is a happy guy. Too bad ctv cut local sports coverage and let their staff go. Glad he found work but would this be a promotion or demotion? I like Kevin O.

Have to agree, Kev O seems like a solid guy, I would guess TV to radio would be a backward step!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->