TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
no rental will cost that Roslovic + 1st IMO. I think a 1st is fair for certain players ie: Green and Kane. I think Grabner could be bidded up to a 1st.

Some may cost that much but we don't need anyone who would cost either. Nor any other high value piece. Our needs are very small and the cost has to be limited to similarly small. A 1st is not small. Even a 2nd is not small.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I will keep an open mind if we want to add at the trade deadline but I don't want to spend much so my expectations are modest. IMO we don't need a rental that will cost us Roslovic or a 1st round pick. Let the other teams overspend for the "top" rentals.
Agree. No way we trade away a big chunk of our future for a rental. Whatever we can get for a second or less; players available Dano, Matthias, & I guess Petan (since its looking like he'll never fit in to Paul's system here anyway)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
no rental will cost that Roslovic + 1st IMO. I think a 1st is fair for certain players ie: Green and Kane. I think Grabner could be bidded up to a 1st.

Not sure if you were referencing my post but there is no pure rental I would give up for Roslovic this season full stop. Nor is there one I would give up a 1st round pick for full stop. If someone wanted Roslovic "and" our 1st it would have to be a hockey trade for a very significant asset coming back that is not a rental but a core piece going forward. The great thing about the Jets right now is we have more than enough depth as is to take a run at this (major injury notwithstanding between now and the deadline).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Some may cost that much but we don't need anyone who would cost either. Nor any other high value piece. Our needs are very small and the cost has to be limited to similarly small. A 1st is not small. Even a 2nd is not small.
when did i say we should move any of those pieces? i am talking value in a vacuum.

Reactions: ps241

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I can't quite remember but someone like Pronman stated that the Jets were not as enamored with Roslovic as we all are. Now I don't believe that anymore especially after watching him play these past couple of weeks.

But I got to think he would be at the top of anyone's asking list when it comes to a top 6 forward. Him and Connor.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree. No way we trade away a big chunk of our future for a rental. Whatever we can get for a second or less; players available Dano, Matthias, & I guess Petan (since its looking like he'll never fit in to Paul's system here anyway)

I'm not anxious to give up either Dano or Petan. They are important parts of our good depth. But neither appears destined for a major role here so I could part with them.

There is nothing I would give up our 2nd for though. Not that there are no available players who would be worth a 2nd but that there is no one who would be worth that to us, as a rental. Real hockey trades would be a different matter of course.

Looking at our needs and what is likely available before the TD we shouldn't be making any trades unless something unexpected happens. I know trades are fun but I can't see any that will do anything but makes us weaker.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I'm not anxious to give up either Dano or Petan. They are important parts of our good depth. But neither appears destined for a major role here so I could part with them.

There is nothing I would give up our 2nd for though. Not that there are no available players who would be worth a 2nd but that there is no one who would be worth that to us, as a rental. Real hockey trades would be a different matter of course.

Looking at our needs and what is likely available before the TD we shouldn't be making any trades unless something unexpected happens. I know trades are fun but I can't see any that will do anything but makes us weaker.

We can afford to give up a second as long as its a piece we really need. I see a good defensive forward like Grabner or a decent depth defenseman like Cole as possibilities (especially if either could be resigned should they look to fit in well)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I can't quite remember but someone like Pronman stated that the Jets were not as enamored with Roslovic as we all are. Now I don't believe that anymore especially after watching him play these past couple of weeks.

But I got to think he would be at the top of anyone's asking list when it comes to a top 6 forward. Him and Connor.
I think they love him now......but there might be some truth to it. He did seem to have a slightly rougher road than Connor. Personally, I think Roz has the higher ceiling.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Sorry Ernie, Buff is too slow to play forward. The fantasy is over.

I know right? That stuff is just goofy. I like Westwood but he's got to let this notion go - even if it was a good idea Buff will not be on board with it. But that Chicago series has reached almost comical mythic status at this point - it was ages ago! jeez...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We can afford to give up a second as long as its a piece we really need. I see a good defensive forward like Grabner or a decent depth defenseman like Cole as possibilities (especially if either could be resigned should they look to fit in well)

I'm not that impressed by Grabner, TBH. And I wouldn't mind getting Cole but I don't pay a 2nd for him.

The thing is that we just don't really need anything right now. Of course a little more depth at LHD would be nice and so would more PO experience but those are not dire needs.

Second rd picks are pretty valuable to a team that isn't going to be getting any more high picks. We need to make it up with volume. If we can't get something good with our excess wingers then stand pat.

Getting back to Cole, his team is generally considered weak on the blueline. They are PO bound and yet they want to dump him. He can't be too valuable.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I think they could do a better job of packaging up NHL and other sports news from the affiliates.
It could help fill a chunk of time where there are over repeating themselves. ...
I really don't know why TSN has no national programming. Especially on non-Jets nights an end-of-the-night recap would be nice, with insider segments and interviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I really don't know why TSN has no national programming. Especially on non-Jets nights an end-of-the-night recap would be nice, with insider segments and interviews.

All their Toronto based "talent" is sleeping by the time the western conference games are finishing. They used to run a late nigh That's Hockey from Calgary but Steve Koulious was unlistenable and grating on the ear. He's on Sirius XM now and I still have to turn him off.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Had a little sparring section this morning with the 1290 guys about making a deadline move. Advocated for patience and not trading away future considerations like picks and prospects for chasing short term success.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Had a little sparring section this morning with the 1290 guys about making a deadline move. Advocated for patience and not trading away future considerations like picks and prospects for chasing short term success.
Sorry, I have been busing to work a bit lately so have missed out on their stellar commentary...who are they saying we could trade? Who do they think we should be looking to pick up?

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I don`t know who I was debating with but they wanted to pick up Max Pacioretty for a 1st, Petan and Dano (I think Dano). I disagreed. If I had more time I would have said if you really think we have no room for players, then trade someone for draft picks 2 drafts away and extract future value. I don't think we should be chasing anything.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
we dont need a big splash but i heard someone else on air bring up cup winners often do make a move, a low-mid end move, to upgrade their roster. PIT brought in Hainsey last year, and Schultz the year prior. Chicago brought in Antoine Vermette, LAK brought in Gaborik, CHI with Handzus in 2013. these are the deals more in-line to make. the only one that had a 1st going the other way was Vermette's deal. The acquiring players did play well and a role (not always a large one) in the respective teams cup run

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
we dont need a big splash but i heard someone else on air bring up cup winners often do make a move, a low-mid end move, to upgrade their roster. PIT brought in Hainsey last year, and Schultz the year prior. Chicago brought in Antoine Vermette, LAK brought in Gaborik, CHI with Handzus in 2013. these are the deals more in-line to make. the only one that had a 1st going the other way was Vermette's deal. The acquiring players did play well and a role (not always a large one) in the respective teams cup run

We're more like the 2010 Blackhawks. A team with lower expectations generally. What did they do?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Love Edmonds penchant for explaining the obvious, in long drawn out ways, as not obvious.

Today we learned that if the Jets are going to trade for a top 6 player, they will need to part with some value.

Reactions: drumzan

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Love Edmonds penchant for explaining the obvious, in long drawn out ways, as not obvious.

Today we learned that if the Jets are going to trade for a top 6 player, they will need to part with some value.

He does spend a long time explaining some pretty obvious stuff...

judging from the people that call-in on the fan-line, i think the explanations and reasoning are required lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad