TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Well they could talk about whatever is coming up in the province or locals doing well elsewhere. Spend 5 minutes here or there. I like local angles hearing about locals doing well in whatever sport that may be. Have officials of those sports on. And you can bet they would love the air time.

We have a lot of great amateur sports going on all the time not just the pros.

As someone running one of the 70+ local Provincial Sports Organizations I concur in a very biased and big way :handclap:

But seriously the content would be easy to fill.
The host just has to ask some leading questions and let the guest promote or recognize an event or achievement.

5 minutes of less Hot Dog talk ;)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You do realize there are more sports being played in the world than ice hockey right. People on this forum want their hockey fix, but it is the so called off season. If all TSN talked about were the Jets, it would get pretty repetitive pretty quick. Kind of like some of the forums around here.

Please don't say "ice hockey". If you say hockey we assume 'ice'. If you are talking about some weird mutation you can include descriptive words as necessary - like field. :laugh: What a concept. Hockey in a field that isn't covered with ice. Ridiculous. That ain't hockey. The skates just sink into the mud. :laugh:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
CFL suspensions
All Star baseball
Golf
Tennis
UFC-Boxing match
MyPillow

We've reached peak snooze fest season folks.

So no talk of Canada's soccer team at the Gold Cup? Wow.

You've got Alphonso Davies, a 16 year old phenom and arguably the brightest light we've ever seen in Canadian soccer; the kid just bagged his third goal of the tournament last night. Then you've got the total cluster**** with French Guiana and incompetent, corrupt CONCACAF that will very likely screw Canada out of a better spot. That's plenty of fodder.

Oh, and they could be like most casual fans and drone on about why our MNT is no good and ranked behind the Faroe Islands and Sierra Leone. Another hour of fodder right there! :laugh:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Come to think of it, does 1290 have any footy talk? You can't tell me there's no audience for it.

I'm guessing Westwood knows his stuff, he apparently was a great soccer player back in the day. Think he might have even had a cup of coffee with the Fury at one point.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They cover a lot of things that are only vaguely related to sports.

:laugh: Eating hot dogs is a tradition AT sporting events. Turning it into a contest is ...... there are no words. Actually, I had some but i deleted that whole paragraph. :laugh: Sometimes I pause for thought before clicking "submit"

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
So no talk of Canada's soccer team at the Gold Cup? Wow.

You've got Alphonso Davies, a 16 year old phenom and arguably the brightest light we've ever seen in Canadian soccer; the kid just bagged his third goal of the tournament last night. Then you've got the total cluster**** with French Guiana and incompetent, corrupt CONCACAF that will very likely screw Canada out of a better spot. That's plenty of fodder.

Oh, and they could be like most casual fans and drone on about why our MNT is no good and ranked behind the Faroe Islands and Sierra Leone. Another hour of fodder right there! :laugh:

It's TSN. They're only interested in plugging their stuff. Sportsnet covers it.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
As someone running one of the 70+ local Provincial Sports Organizations I concur in a very biased and big way :handclap:

But seriously the content would be easy to fill.
The host just has to ask some leading questions and let the guest promote or recognize an event or achievement.

5 minutes of less Hot Dog talk ;)

There is a lot going on locally. The Manitoba Junior Baseball League had it's all star game this past weekend, and a Girl from my area represented Canada in a Canada vs. USA Slo-Pitch battle.

The MJBL is just heading into the playoffs.

To be fair, they did a real nice interview on the Canada games yesterday.

It's TSN. They're only interested in plugging their stuff. Sportsnet covers it.

This is just wrong, TSN is broadcasting the Gold Cup. GET DAVIES ON THE SHOW AND PROMOTE THE **** OUT OF IT! 16 YEAR OLD HAS 3 GOALS IN 2 GAMES! THE HYPE IS REAL!

I assume TSN is also in the middle of negotiating for CanPL rights, both on Radio in Winnipeg, and Nationally on television.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

^^Embedded for you^^

Ralphie moving to prime time. I know he likes to lurk here, so congrats to him!

I'll miss him at lunchtime though.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Happy for RR but I will miss him at 11:00 I enjoy the Round Table.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Please don't say "ice hockey". If you say hockey we assume 'ice'. If you are talking about some weird mutation you can include descriptive words as necessary - like field. :laugh: What a concept. Hockey in a field that isn't covered with ice. Ridiculous. That ain't hockey. The skates just sink into the mud. :laugh:

Damn straight, Mort. You get on those damn IIHF people about taking out one of the I's. Then we can get to work on the 99% of the world's population that refuse to call it soccer. ;)

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Kevin O will be doing Jets post games now. I assume that means he does Rona Round Table as well.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Jim Toth uses the word "literally" and the phrase "its going to be real intersting" way too often...

Hustler and RR should be fine. Not sold on Kevin O myself. We'll see...

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
This is just wrong, TSN is broadcasting the Gold Cup. GET DAVIES ON THE SHOW AND PROMOTE THE **** OUT OF IT! 16 YEAR OLD HAS 3 GOALS IN 2 GAMES! THE HYPE IS REAL!

I assume TSN is also in the middle of negotiating for CanPL rights, both on Radio in Winnipeg, and Nationally on television.

Yeah my bad I was wrong. It is TSN. I was convinced it had to be Sportsnet ... I'm getting old. :help:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

:laugh: Yeah , I know... I only referenced it that way because that's what the rest of the world calls it and I was going to reference sports around the world.

My point was TSN is suppose to be a sports network not a hockey network. And there are more sports than hockey.

And just an FYI for anyone who cares:

Top 10 Most Popular Participation Sports In The World

https://www.realbuzz.com/articles-i...st-popular-participation-sports-in-the-world/

Top Ten Most Popular Sports in The World

http://www.dsport.in/blog/top-ten-popular-sports-world/

The reality is that hockey is so far down the list it can't even see the list.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Kevin O will be doing Jets post games now. I assume that means he does Rona Round Table as well.

Donvito Roundtable.

The sooner they get RR on the afternoon show and dreck like Edmonds and Toth off, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->