TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
A lot of the ads on 1290 are kind of odd. Why exactly are unions advertising at all?

I was curious about the ratings, so I did some googling:

http://www.chrisd.ca/2016/12/02/winnipeg-radio-ratings-fall-2016-numeris/#.WIZmR1MrK70

In the overall ratings, TSN1290 is 11th out of 16 overall, rising up to 7th out of 16 in the morning. And that's the overall rating, not the Male 25-54 that Rick Ralph talked about. As well their ratings were up from the year before. Sounds like the radio station is doing pretty well for itself.

I know I like it well enough to tune in via the internet on my commute home in order to hear the latest Jets talk. It sure beats hearing about the Oilers some more...

Although I myself am outside the male 25-54 demo I would think a very, very high % of their listeners are. I think the building trade unions advertise there to counter the non-union contracting company that also does.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
A lot of the ads on 1290 are kind of odd. Why exactly are unions advertising at all?

I was curious about the ratings, so I did some googling:

http://www.chrisd.ca/2016/12/02/winnipeg-radio-ratings-fall-2016-numeris/#.WIZmR1MrK70

In the overall ratings, TSN1290 is 11th out of 16 overall, rising up to 7th out of 16 in the morning. And that's the overall rating, not the Male 25-54 that Rick Ralph talked about. As well their ratings were up from the year before. Sounds like the radio station is doing pretty well for itself.

I know I like it well enough to tune in via the internet on my commute home in order to hear the latest Jets talk. It sure beats hearing about the Oilers some more...

Does anyone under 40 listen to the radio? :laugh:

I'm glad TSN's ratings are improving for the target demo. That's good news - I complain a little, but it's what I listen to when I drive around. If the ratings are good, I hope the owners will continue to invest in the on-air product. Maybe give Rick Ralph a raise to $15/hour, who knows?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Does anyone under 40 listen to the radio? :laugh:

I'm glad TSN's ratings are improving for the target demo. That's good news - I complain a little, but it's what I listen to when I drive around. If the ratings are good, I hope the owners will continue to invest in the on-air product. Maybe give Rick Ralph a raise to $15/hour, who knows?

CBC radio is my jam.

I'm in a bit of a bubble of media content people, but pretty much everyone my age loves CBC radio. The debaters, This is That, Vinyl Cafe, Under the Influence, its just good shows all day long pretty much.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
CBC radio is my jam.

I'm in a bit of a bubble of media content people, but pretty much everyone my age loves CBC radio. The debaters, This is That, Vinyl Cafe, Under the Influence, its just good shows all day long pretty much.

Yup, CBC is my bag. :thumbu:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Speaking of ads, why is the Wpg Fire Department spending money to tell me they have the best service in the world?

I don't listen to much of TSN now, outside of Jets games if I'm on the move.

Those are paid for by union dues, not public funds.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hnidy is a very sharp hockey guy, too bad he's such an insufferable boot lick. Him, Beyak, Edmunds and Munz make me cringe with their TNSE spin.

Their station is the broadcast rights holder. That is tantamount to them working directly for the Jets PR department. What do you expect? Given that fact I quite like Hnidy. He manages occasional real insight.

The other Winnipeg media are in a different relationship and should be free to be much more critical.

What bothers me more about 1290 is the amount of coverage they give the NFL. We don't have a horse in that race.

When TSN lost the NHL they began to emphasize the NFL more and more. An obvious move on their part. The more they push it, the more popular it will become. It will push the CFL out of existence eventually just by the weight of its TV money. I've been a CFL fan for nearly 60 years. The NFL can never be what the CFL was.

Every time I tune in 1290 they are talking NFL, even 3 hrs before a Jets game. I immediately change stations. Every time.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Their station is the broadcast rights holder. That is tantamount to them working directly for the Jets PR department. What do you expect? Given that fact I quite like Hnidy. He manages occasional real insight.

The other Winnipeg media are in a different relationship and should be free to be much more critical.

What bothers me more about 1290 is the amount of coverage they give the NFL. We don't have a horse in that race.

When TSN lost the NHL they began to emphasize the NFL more and more. An obvious move on their part. The more they push it, the more popular it will become. It will push the CFL out of existence eventually just by the weight of its TV money. I've been a CFL fan for nearly 60 years. The NFL can never be what the CFL was.

Every time I tune in 1290 they are talking NFL, even 3 hrs before a Jets game. I immediately change stations. Every time.

The CFL may change over the time, but it will never die. There will always be enough players for a 2nd American football league, and it's insulated enough from the NFL to stick around.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The CFL may change over the time, but it will never die. There will always be enough players for a 2nd American football league, and it's insulated enough from the NFL to stick around.

It has already changed a great deal. I'm not particularly interested in a 2nd American football league. I want the first Canadian football league that I grew up with.

The world keeps changing. We don't get to pick the changes. They are chosen for us by marketing to the lowest common denominator. That's just life. But I don't have to like it.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
No complaints from me about the NFL talk. I tune in for NFL and Jets talk. Nothing else.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Speaking of ads, why is the Wpg Fire Department spending money to tell me they have the best service in the world?

I don't listen to much of TSN now, outside of Jets games if I'm on the move.
Totally agree with this one...but I think it's new contract time. Unions are big business too.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I don't care about how they spend their money, I don't live in WPG.

I just wonder what they get out of it.

Well, there's going to be or is another union lobbying for more paramedics and possibly fewer firefighters. There stands to be a pretty ugly PR battle in the coming years.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
CBC radio is my jam.

Yup, CBC is my bag. :thumbu:

Really? :amazed:

I was not aware they were broadcasting outside of Wolseley anymore?

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
My only beef with NFL, NBA and MLB talk is it should come after Bomber and Jet talk. They actually have gotten better at this.

As soon as they talk about NFL, NBA and MLB I shut it off.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well it is NFL playoffs season...they're going to devote some coverage to that. There's not a lot going on in the CFL aside from transactions (and surprise firings). The NFL just provides tons of fodder for talk radio - it's such an important league in terms of gambling that there's a baseline of intense interest all over North America.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Lol...Toth on playing Pav both games of a b2b - "I don't think they are looking at the stats. I don't think this is about stats. They are trying to get wins and they are saying 'who gives us the best chance to win?'"

See, one of Toth's issues is that he has a real problem cognitively when it comes to seeing how stats relate to reality. He seems to think that stats and reality don't actually interconnect. Statistics only describe what happened...they don't give you any insight into what might happen.

And of course when he realizes he's sounding dumb he says "and I'm not saying I agree with that, I'm just saying that's what they said they are doing." :shakehead. No Jim, that's what you said they are doing. Paul never told you he's ignoring statistics. And the point you were arguing against was that coach made a mistake playing Pav anyway so you really just argued yrself around a perfect circle anyway...

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Basically, everything comes down to those last 2 games by Helly. When they say Pav is providing the goaltending they need, they mean he's not giving up 3 goals on 6 shots in the first period. :shakehead

Deleted member 218451

Still pumping Pav on 1290 this morning. Pav has provided the Jets the goal tending that they have needed. WTF?

My favorites were Munz last night saying Pavs is giving the Jets a chance to win every night by only giving up 3 goals per game and Edmonds this morning saying weak goals have been hurting this team an Pavs hasn't done that in the 4 games he has played. Huh? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->