Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Continued from here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1935351

Last few posts in the conversation:

Limited access to coach's aside from the post game presser is pretty much standard in today's NHL (pro sports in general).

Having Munz and EDMONDS together is on 1290, when Beyak and Hnidy do the radio PxP on occasion the broadcast improves 100%!

Munz has improved a little, Edmonds seems more interested in improving his shtick which in itself is tiresome to listen to.

I didn't mind Munz at all when he covered for Beyak on TV

Me neither, he was surprisingly good. He is better suited to TV PxP, when he did the Jets games on 1290 he tended to talk way too much!

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I despise Edmonds's play-by-play. His voice is hoarse and mumbly, and any time someone shoots he sounds like someone stepped on his tail.

I actually thought Munz was excellent at radio play-by-play and have no idea why he's not doing it anymore. Maybe it's a promotion?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I despise Edmonds's play-by-play. His voice is hoarse and mumbly, and any time someone shoots he sounds like someone stepped on his tail.

I actually thought Munz was excellent at radio play-by-play and have no idea why he's not doing it anymore. Maybe it's a promotion?

I'm shocked that someone could prefer Munz over Edmund's.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Neither should be doing radio PxP of NHL hockey!

It might be interesting to watch a game with no commentary at all. Just on ice sound via strategic mics placed all over the rink. If I understand it correctly that's what TSN is doing with the CFL game today (where both coaches and QB's are mic'd up).
They would just need to make it for mature audiences only.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It might be interesting to watch a game with no commentary at all. Just on ice sound via strategic mics placed all over the rink. If I understand it correctly that's what TSN is doing with the CFL game today (where both coaches and QB's are mic'd up).

This is a great idea. I've watched many games muted as it is.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So much for sharing sports with your kids/grandkids. :laugh:

I really don't enjoy it when they mike up participants. JMO.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'm shocked that someone could prefer Munz over Edmund's.

In the name of full disclosure, I don't really like listening to hockey on the radio.

I don't retain much until they freak out about something (goal, save, penalty, non-penalty, Ehlers K.O.-ing Barrie, etc) so maybe Edmonds does some really good work in-between that I don't really pick up on.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
In the name of full disclosure, I don't really like listening to hockey on the radio.

I don't retain much until they freak out about something (goal, save, penalty, non-penalty, Ehlers K.O.-ing Barrie, etc) so maybe Edmonds does some really good work in-between that I don't really pick up on.

I do however think that Edmunds is better suited to baseball. Good enough for MLB even.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
If 1290 is going to replace Leibl internally, I'd like to see Joel Marcoux be the choice. When he talks hockey, I listen. And he's quite knowledgable on football too.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
If 1290 is going to replace Leibl internally, I'd like to see Joel Marcoux be the choice. When he talks hockey, I listen. And he's quite knowledgable on football too.

Yeah but he does that thing where he has to "over-frenchify" any word that's French in origin. Cloutier is terrible for that on OB too. It bugs me when guys with no French accent at all have to go all "Lagi-mo-dee-airrrrrrrrrrre" all the time...

...so he's OUT!

:D

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah but he does that thing where he has to "over-frenchify" any word that's French in origin. Cloutier is terrible for that on OB too. It bugs me when guys with no French accent at all have to go all "Lagi-mo-dee-airrrrrrrrrrre" all the time...

...so he's OUT!

:D

You mean pronounce them properly?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't really care whether it's correct or incorrect. It just sounds goofy when they turn into Inspector Clouseau for one word of a three or four minute news break...

...of course I'm not being entirely serious here. Lol...but it does irritate me. :naughty:

Lars65

Useless Git
Sep 6, 2011
Winnipeg
You have to keep in mind, lots of people learn french at a very young age and can't help the accent. I'll tell you, ruler toting nuns hovering over you teach you to get the accent right.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm not a fan of either Edmunds or Munz as a radio pbp guy for NHL hockey.

Munz does not explain what's happening during the play. He's much better suited for TV pbp, as you can follow the play on screen and he interjects with information here and there but you can see what's going on. He has good chops, but you have no idea who has the puck,where they are, and if they have a scoring chance.

Edmunds tries to tell the audience way too much of what is happening, and can't keep up. He seems out of breath after 15 secs of play. Ends up talking too much, and too fast, so as a listener you are frustrated trying to follow everything he's telling you.

Somewhere in between Munz and Edmunds would be fine. Maybe Edmunds will learn as he goes. Beyak is a much more seasoned NHL radio pbp guy. They can learn from him.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I wish they'd argue with the callers more than they do...

(was listening at the end of last week and Ralph from St James called in and I got the distinct impression Matt was right on the edge of "burning that bridge"! lol...He actually did cut the call off pretty abrubtly.)

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
So some interesting developments from what I see at 1290. Since 1290 got the Jets rights, you'd find quite a few Free Press personalities on the different shows. I spoke with someone in the know last year and they informed me that WFP and 1290 had an agreement to share talent (this is why you have never heard any of the Sun writers on 1290). Now fast forward to today and Tim Campbell was on H&L and was introduced as "Tim Campbell from NHL.com". So I went to Tim's twitter feed and noticed that it was still showing him as an employee of WFP (also odd that he hasn't tweeted anything since Aug.5). Now, I don't listen to 1290 a lot during the summer but it occurred to me that Wiecek or anybody else from the WFP hasn't appeared on any 1290 programs in awhile (please someone correct me if this isn't true).

It's possible that their agreement has run out and the two media outlets haven't/aren't renewing. If this is the case then this could be a long cold winter for 1290. Their on-air personalities are average to weak at the best of times and with no expertise from the WFP guys it will only get worse.

(Before anyone corrects me, Ken Wiebe did do some work on TSN TV but that fell outside the agreement 1290 had with WFP.)

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
I know a lot of people can't stand the people calling in. Well I suggest calling in and changing that if you're listening and free. I do. I'm Derek from Van island if you've ever heard me call in

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
So some interesting developments from what I see at 1290. Since 1290 got the Jets rights, you'd find quite a few Free Press personalities on the different shows. I spoke with someone in the know last year and they informed me that WFP and 1290 had an agreement to share talent (this is why you have never heard any of the Sun writers on 1290). Now fast forward to today and Tim Campbell was on H&L and was introduced as "Tim Campbell from NHL.com". So I went to Tim's twitter feed and noticed that it was still showing him as an employee of WFP (also odd that he hasn't tweeted anything since Aug.5). Now, I don't listen to 1290 a lot during the summer but it occurred to me that Wiecek or anybody else from the WFP hasn't appeared on any 1290 programs in awhile (please someone correct me if this isn't true).

It's possible that their agreement has run out and the two media outlets haven't/aren't renewing. If this is the case then this could be a long cold winter for 1290. Their on-air personalities are average to weak at the best of times and with no expertise from the WFP guys it will only get worse.

(Before anyone corrects me, Ken Wiebe did do some work on TSN TV but that fell outside the agreement 1290 had with WFP.)

Illegal Curve had one of the WFP writers on, think it was Tim Campbell, a week or two ago.

Jeff Hamilton is on a lot, isn't he? He's WFP.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Tim doesn't work at the freep any more. He also barely used his Twitter account that's why it's not updated. Twitter accounts are usually required by media. He simply does work for nhl.com

No conspiracy here sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad