Prospect Info: #126 RD Charlie Leddy, US-NTDP

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
RD Charlie Leddy, US-NTDP (STI Ranking: #116, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Leddy is basic -- a simple, stay-at-home defenseman who makes consistently smart and safe plays with the puck and wins one-on-one battles. He's likely not going to be drafted until the 6th/7th rounds and the Devils need RD prospects who have a high floor, making Leddy a player worth monitoring. He's a decent skater and uses smart physicality, which is to say shoulder checks and body positioning without looking to punish or intimidate opponents. His puck skills are passable, but he's never going to contribute too much on the scoresheets.

Leddy possesses most of the attributes you would want in a player of his ilk. Good gaps, good positioning. He uses his 6'1-180 physique quite well and I'd say he's quite strong for his size. He's clean in clearing the puck in space, though what he needs to work on the most is a propensity to bobble the puck under the pressure of high-level forechecks. He's not a guy to lead transition, he's more like the guy to follow it as a safety valve and the last player in the offensive zone. He's a good partner for offensive minded LDs, and as such we've seen him a lot alongside Lane Hutson.

Again, I don't see offensive upside here. Though his defensive awareness is high, his offensive awareness is two-dimensional. You're never going to see him on an NHL PP, but you could certainly see him be the bedrock of an NHL 3rd pairing. I'd say he has a very high floor as a shut-down guy in the AHL. As such, he's certainly a good pick from pretty much the 5th round on. He's not exciting, but he's effective in what he does, and from a Devils standpoint the need for prospect depth at RD is glaring. As such, he's a player to pay attention to in the late rounds of the 2022 draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good pick. I had him as a late third on my list, and you guys take him about a round later. I wouldn't have been surprised if someone took him round 2. This is the type of player NHL teams love.

I think this guy will play in the NHL. Probably a bottom pairing defenseman, but those are useful. He's big, physical, right shot, can skate, and defend. I've seen minimal offense, but I know there are some people that think he might have some untapped offensive upside. He was used in a very defensive role, so there was little chance to show that, even if he had it. Maybe he'll show more of that in college hockey. He played on an all-star team, and he's very much not an all-star style of player, so he may be someone who sees his jump in recognition once he's in a more typical team setting that doesn't have a full team of NHL draft prospects.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It's like Fitz read these boards, saw my b*tching about preferring Stay-At-Home Defenseman and said : "HERE, GLEN. HAPPY???" :sarcasm:
Another thing to keep in mind is the importance of shot-blocking. The Devils were very weak in this respect since trading Andy Greene, and Leddy might be the best shot-blocker in the entire 2022 class.

Leddy is just solid, solid, solid defensively in every imaginable respect. The ceiling is low, but for a 4th round pick you won't find a higher floor for a stay-at-home defenseman. Just a really strong pick.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
Measured at 6'0.5" and 187 at the combine. If he can add a bit of height and weight he sounds like a very good defensive prospect if he can just develop the ability to move the puck from the dump in and make the first pass.
Love Leddys game. I think after a few years marinating in college he is going to become a great player to support an offensive LD. Hoping the tutelage of new Head Coach Brown and Orpik at BC he'll get the coaching he needs to round out his game. However, I don't think the breakouts are what he really needs to work on... Write up from EP Rinkside...
Charlie leddy breakouts.png

L

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Thanks Steve, he did help to me with ustdp games.

I`m a big fan of mobile defensive defensemen. Because I understand how they can be very helpful on NHL level. They should have specific puck of tools. And Leddy is that kind of guy. He is mobile enough. Smart enough in defensive zone - when you want him to control the gap, he will, when he should to make a hit, he will hit, when he should to take away the puck he will. He is blockshootter. THis isn`t a very need thing, but it is ilussion. Guys who talk about control the puck, don`t understand that you cant control the puck in PK and should potrol the zone very smartly, when your team lose the faceoff in your own zone, defensemen should be ready to make blockshots and push away opponents, because they will have no time to prevent the shot.
And if Leddy will take away the puck - he will help transit away the puck from the own zone cleanly and accuratly.

It`s a full skills set for defensive defenseman and good defensive hockey iq. He make right decisions in defensive zone. Yes, not the seciest pick, but very smart. Devils have Hamilton, Sevs, Nemec, Casey and even Walsh on the right side of defense. Some one should make all the work without the puck to prevent dangerous chances on the devils net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad