Prospect Info: 125th Overall - D Nikolas Koberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In 20 games this year Koberstein has more points then in his 1st 2 seasons combined. His team is off to a little better start then last year at 7-11-2 but he seems to be doing better. I saw him twice and didn't think too much of him other then he's physical for sure. Last year he was a -17 in 31 games, this year he's a +7 in 20 games. Will be interesting to see if he can progress enough after next year to get a contract.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Out of left field pick.....with no results. Saw that story before. Everytime it happens, it's either 2 things. We outwitted everybody and found a gem nobody could have figured out. Or...we were dumb enough to be intetested in somebody nobody was interested in. Yeah, I know, just a 5th rounder. It's not like you can find a Gallagher in that round...

Last edited:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Out of left field pick.....with no results. Saw that story before. Everytime it happens, it's either 2 things. We outwitted everybody and found a gem nobody could have figured out. Or...we were dumb enough to be intetested in somebody nobody was interested in. Yeah, I know, just a 5th rounder. It's not like you can find a Gallagher in that round...
He's tough to play against though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has similar stats as Josh Manson but I doubt he’s as good defensively.

he's had a bit of similar path to that of Colton Parayko in that both played in the AJHL and then for the same NCAA team. Koberstein even put up better numbers in the AJHL at the same age, at 17,

Parayko - 42-3-9-12 (.29 ppg)
Koberstein - 51-5-13-18 (.35 ppg)

Now the difference is the next year Parayko stayed in the AJHL and put up 42 pts in 53 games as an 18 year old. Koberstein went to the USHL and put up 12 pts in 61 games for 2 teams.

They both played for Alaska as 19 year old Freshman. The difference is huge though, Parayko put up 66 pts in 104 games. Koberstein has 17 pts in 74 games. Now that said when Parayko was at Alaska they were decent, .500 or better, Koberstein joined them the following year after Parayko left and they were the worst team in the NCAA at one point and have been bottom 5 for all 3 years that Koberstein has been there.

I'm not trying to make a case for Koberstein, just that he compares well to Parayko in the sense of them taking a somewhat very similar development path up to their 3rd NCAA season. Clearly Koberstein isn't remotely in the same league talent wise as Parayko, just interesting that at 17 at least in terms of production they were very close but then Parayko takes off from there and Koberstein looks overmatched in the NCAA at least in his first year where he was a healthy scratch from time to time if I recall correctly. He had just 2 pts in 23 games that year. His team won only 10 of 36 games that year. That said it took Koberstein 74 games to produce the same amount of points as Parayko did as a Freshman in 33 games.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yes, a lot of bad 'toughness' picks since Churla was signed/promoted by Bergevin

has there really been that many? when was he in again? the '13 draft? it's really only that draft that has a lot of them. I think people over state how many of those Crisp type picks we've made. All I can think of is Pezzetta and I guess Koberstein since '13? And Pezzetta's doing pretty good right now.

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
Watching Koberstein play tonight and will report back. One of his teammates that looks interesting is Zach Frye (undated 6'1" LHD) with 27 points in 31 games and a +2 rating on a pretty bad team this season.

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
Not a good period by Koberstein. Bad giveaway that lead to a 3 on 1 the other way and a -1. Frye is looking solid though, he is very quick for his size and can move the puck fairly well.

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
Overall an OK game by Koberstein, like mentioned above, seems to be that he is bottom pairing material at most. Needs work on his decision making but has a good first pass and strong skater, was able to cross the blue line with a guy on his back and try to get a shot on net before drawing the penalty.
Frye however had a good game, two assists on the night I believe and has a good set of hands to go with his smooth skating. I believe he would be an interesting UFA signing later in the year for the D even if just for the AHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm assuming he's our next Josiah Didier/Mac Bennett, except not as good

yea he could be a lesser Didier, Bennett was really solid in the NCAA all 4 years, a good bit better then Pateryn but lacked size and was handled very poorly by Lefebvre. I mean sitting him for Joe freaking Finley, what a great way to develop your prospects Lefebvre. But his offensive game never translated, and being undersized and not physical at all he just couldn't hack in the AHL. Too bad cause he had the skating/mobility for today's NHL.

But Koberstein is much more like Didier, neither showed much in the way of offense, both big and physical while being solid in their own end. I really like Didier but he had like zero offensive abilities but was a good PKer and can dish out some big time hits. Koberstein I've seen less of but he can throw some big hits for sure.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
yea he could be a lesser Didier, Bennett was really solid in the NCAA all 4 years, a good bit better then Pateryn but lacked size and was handled very poorly by Lefebvre. I mean sitting him for Joe freaking Finley, what a great way to develop your prospects Lefebvre. But his offensive game never translated, and being undersized and not physical at all he just couldn't hack in the AHL. Too bad cause he had the skating/mobility for today's NHL.

But Koberstein is much more like Didier, neither showed much in the way of offense, both big and physical while being solid in their own end. I really like Didier but he had like zero offensive abilities but was a good PKer and can dish out some big time hits. Koberstein I've seen less of but he can throw some big hits for sure.

I think you are overthinking it, Bennet was never good, not even "that" good for the NCAA.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think you are overthinking it, Bennet was never good, not even "that" good for the NCAA.

I watched a lot of him and he was clearly a good bit better then Pateryn, he was a top pairing D on one of the top programs in the NCAA. He was most certainly good to very good in the NCAA.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
didn't see today's game but ASU smoked Alaska 5-0. Koberstein was a -1 which isn't bad considering he plays a lot or at least did in the 1st game but man is his team bad. Although they do have a brand new coach so they will need time to get the system down but each year he's been there they have been among the worst teams in the NCAA.

Reactions: McTusk

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Would be very insightful to have the year he was drafted in the prospects' thread title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad