GDT: 12/5/17 - 7:30PM EDT - New York Islanders vs Tampa Bay

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016

Hey, somebody else who realizes that the former Q MVP didn’t come out of “nowhere”. Out of junior he just needed to improve his two-way game and have an organization (Yzerman) not penalize him for his size. He has always had the skill.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Callahan - 3rd

Well deserved!
images

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
That was one heck of a ride!! Was great atmosphere in Amalie.

My hubby and son did not jinx the game so I'll continue to let them come along once in a while. :D

Weirdest thing of the entire night was seeing Sustr play better tonight than Dotchin did before getting injured. o_O

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I was there for the total domination in the first. The total nap in the first ten min of the 2nd. And the final 20 minutes to put us 6-2.

Great win.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Looks like we played a fantastic game. I'm reading through the thread and wow the mood went from ecstasy to sheer terror to LOLZ faster than someone dissociating to another identity. You guys are too much

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Not taking money into account, having Callahan and Kunitz on a fourth line is a huge advantage. If Callahan wanted to stay here after his deal is up on a 2 million dollar contract, would anyone object? I doubt it.

Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not taking money into account, having Callahan and Kunitz on a fourth line is a huge advantage. If Callahan wanted to stay here after his deal is up on a 2 million dollar contract, would anyone object? I doubt it.

Uh he'll be even more broken in 3 years time and even slower, we have tons of AHL depth coming up who are younger and can likely produce better.

Hard pass.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Uh he'll be even more broken in 3 years time and even slower, we have tons of AHL depth coming up who are younger and can likely produce better.

Hard pass.

Well obviously we'd have to assess where he is at the end of this contract. If he can stay at the level he's been at this year as a low-paid fourth liner, you'd be foolish not to consider it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Our fourth line has to be one of the better ones in the league right now, if not the best.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well obviously we'd have to assess where he is at the end of this contract. If he can stay at the level he's been at this year as a low-paid fourth liner, you'd be foolish not to consider it.
I don't think he finishes his contract. Buying out the last year of it is pretty cheap and frees up space for Kucherov, Point, and others.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I don't think Crosby could keep Callahan from not tucking in wide open goals or keep him from shooting right at a goalies chest.

Paquette being hurt hasn't hurt their offense. Kunitz has four goals and can still somehow manage to score with Brown or Paquette on his line, Callahan hasn't. His one goal is where that goalie dude that stays in that light blue paint in front of a net wasn't there to catch a shot of his in the chest.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I'm not entirely convinced that Callahan's scoring is gone for good. The look on his face after every near-miss kinda says it all. He wants a goal so bad that he's probably rushing his chances more than normal. I don't know that we'll ever see pre-surgery numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that if he can get just get one to go in he'll be a different player.

And, yeah, kinda have to think that with Cally and Kunitz we have one of the savviest fourth lines in the league, to say nothing of their play (which has been great).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Our fourth line has to be one of the better ones in the league right now, if not the best.

Considering it's one of if not the most expensive 4th line in the league they kind of have to be playing that way or it's laughably bad.... at almost 9m combined we aren't exactly getting good value despite their play, luckily we can absorb the cost and have probably the best value 2nd line in the league at $7m combined.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
It's impressive how many scoring chances he's getting with the minutes he's getting. Reminds me of Point last year, people just looking at the bottom line stats instead of what's really going on the ice. When you get the chances he's getting, you're doing something right. There's no other way to say it. He'll never live up to the contract, but we've all come to accept that. He's playing the role given to him to a T.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's impressive how many scoring chances he's getting with the minutes he's getting. Reminds me of Point last year, people just looking at the bottom line stats instead of what's really going on the ice. When you get the chances he's getting, you're doing something right. There's no other way to say it. He'll never live up to the contract, but we've all come to accept that. He's playing the role given to him to a T.
And I haven't seen anyone disagree with this point.

He's played well this season.

He is insanely overpaid.

Both can be true. His supporters are getting some causal things wrong with him though. The argument is he's not getting PP time so he isn't scoring. It's backwards. He's not scoring, so he's not getting PP time.

Also - to state the obvious again - we have the best PP in the league. No reason to mess that up by changing the personnel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->