OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Chewey costs for Sentinel + Bravecto = $463.94, minus $75 rebate = $388.94

My vet visit and costs for Sentinel + Bravecto = $565.96, minus $75 rebate = $490.98

Vet Cost - Chewey Cost = $102.04

I paid $102.04 more for the two products by buying at the Vet on the spot rather than ordering from my Chewy account.

I had not known at the time of the visit instead of buying the heartworm and flea/tick prevention meds at the vet, I could have rather filed the receipt on Chewy's website and ordered the two medications there. I'm sure my dog would survive a couple more days without those meds if I had ordered them online.

I'm not made of money, and I would have liked to have saved $102 for some more dog toys or obviously whatever/anything else. I wish the clinic would have informed me of that option, but I get it, why would they? Lesson learned.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Just an idea, but some afternoon maybe you could pick up your dad and drive to your local shelter or humane league, then do a Meet and Greet? Get him some exposure again, and see if maybe a rescue takes to him/him to a rescue.

He can also hang out in the kitty room. Maybe he would like a cat more, considering his somewhat isolated lifestyle?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Just an idea, but some afternoon maybe you could pick up your dad and drive to your local shelter or humane league, then do a Meet and Greet? Get him some exposure again, and see if maybe a rescue takes to him/him to a rescue.

He can also hang out in the kitty room. Maybe he would like a cat more, considering his somewhat isolated lifestyle?
lol my dad doesn't like cats...at all...mostly I think at his age, he'll be 80, he doesn't want to deal with all the work involved with a dog...which I get but this is also a man who still mows the lawns lol

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
We’ve had pet insurance on all of our dogs going back for a decade plus and I am in no way saying not to do it. It’s saved us money for sure. But you do need to know that most of them work differently from insurance for people in ways that matter.

For example, exam fees are often not covered depending on carrier and coverage. So for example, if we bring a dog in with a problem to our normal vet, we are not reimbursed for the $110 exam fee, but are for all of the tests that may be ordered. And most importantly, they usually operate on reimbursement. So for example, we had a dog who tore his ACL. The emergency exam fee (200ish) was not covered, but the testing they did that night was (600ish). Then the actual surgery was 5 or 6k. All of that had to be paid out of pocket. We were then cut a check for 90% weeks later.

Sell it. They’re worth a couple hundred bucks.
Our pet insurance covers any expense 50% after the deductible. I'm not sure what the deductible is but it's relatively low. We hit it quickly after a few months of refilling Snoop's meds. Girl is much more familiar with the plan. I came along after she enrolled Snoop in it

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Our pet insurance covers any expense 50% after the deductible. I'm not sure what the deductible is but it's relatively low. We hit it quickly after a few months of refilling Snoop's meds. Girl is much more familiar with the plan. I came along after she enrolled Snoop in it

It can be hit and miss, although I do like the provider we use. This is one dog.

Dog-Insurance.png

Some of those $0 covereds were allergies we knew he had when we adopted him. He needed custom serums made for him.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
God it is expensive to do anything in America.

In Europe we just find dogs on the streets :laugh: (partially joking, but that is like 25% of dogs lmao) and you pay like 200 euros a year for maybe ~2x check-ups and all flea, tick prevention and meds.

Full course puppy vaccines usually cost like 90-100 euros or so. Then per year? About 50 euros for vaccines and maybe 100 max for fleas and tick prevention.

And that is if you are not insured and just rock up and pay generally...

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
God it is expensive to do anything in America.

In Europe we just find dogs on the streets :laugh: (partially joking, but that is like 25% of dogs lmao) and you pay like 200 euros a year for maybe ~2x check-ups and all flea, tick prevention and meds.

Full course puppy vaccines usually cost like 90-100 euros or so. Then per year? About 50 euros for vaccines and maybe 100 max for fleas and tick prevention.

And that is if you are not insured and just rock up and pay generally...
It's because insurance companies manipulate the healthcare system into a for profit conglomerate. End stage capitalism and all that jazz

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It can be hit and miss, although I do like the provider we use. This is one dog.

Dog-Insurance.png

Some of those $0 covereds were allergies we knew he had when we adopted him. He needed custom serums made for him.
Sheeeesh

Snoop is on daily apoquel. That's, with insurance, $65 right there a month. We're going to try to see how he does if he only takes it during allergy season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
$2400 to have all my cat's teeth removed. That was a definite ding.

If my quick mental mathing and memory are right that might not be that bad, actually. Think you got a bulk deal there for sheer number of teeth.

Not that it helps with the eye watering cost or anything. But hey, technical victory!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad