11 US teams received revenue sharing in '06

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by Hawker14, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Hawker14

Hawker14 Registered User

Patrick Laforge,
    President, Edmonton Oilers
    Sportsnet Interview

for '05-'06 season:

-11 American teams received revenue sharing.
    -NO Canadian teams received revenue sharing.
    -Oilers paid into revenue sharing.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. GuloGulo

GuloGulo Registered User

How much did Detroit get? :dunno: :sarcasm:

3. the_hockey_mistress

the_hockey_mistress Registered User

Have you a breakdown? Why didnt any Canadian teams receive any?

4. Kimi

Kimi Registered User

Maybe because they made more money than the teams in the states, the whole idea behind this revenue sharing is the rich give to the poor I believe.

5. MAROONSRoad

MAROONSRoad f/k/a Ghost

Good evening! :)

I read an article that mentioned some of those points in the Toronto Globe & Mail. Here is an excerpt:

"And as for revenue sharing, another important plank in the NHL's new economic model, not a single dollar has flowed north of the border since the lockout, while 11 U.S. teams shared payouts for last season of between roughly $3-million and $12.6-million (all figures U.S.)."

I don’t think it mentions the breakdown. Here’s the link:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070219.wsptnhl19/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

I hope that’s helpful!

GHOST

6. the_hockey_mistress

the_hockey_mistress Registered User

hay thanks fellows !! ..just kinda sad when i see the ticket prices (with meals included!!!) south of the border. I really feel if they cant sell tickets they should be moved to where its proven there would be sold out games at normal prices. PD article helped...thanks !!!

7. Irish Blues

Irish Blues Worth waiting for :)

Actuary
    That "list of prices with meals included" is a far-fetched estimate that isn't really accurate. We've debunked it here several times.

8. MAROONSRoad

MAROONSRoad f/k/a Ghost

Hello Irish Blues!

I can't speak for all of the NHL arenas, but in the club seats at Bell Centre food is included with the ticket price. You just walk up to the counter and order whatever you want from the set menu. The last time I was there the cost was around $145 CAD for those seats if I recall correctly, although that was before the lockout, and I was a guest! :)

You still have to pay for booze, though. :amazed:

I hope that's helpful.

GHOST

9. Irish Blues

Actuary
    That's club seats. I'm talking about the supposed average cost to go see a hockey game at any of the 30 arenas around the league.

10. Lowetide

Lowetide Registered User

Seems reasonable. I know that there were several years where EDM did receive revenue dollars from the league and based on the owner comments were vital to the Oilers at that time.

The NHL entry price for these new franchises being what they are it would seem to me that a structured "revenue share" for new teams rolling out over a decade or more from expansion would be prudent, and since one doubts that a Boston or a NYR or a Detroit or even a Dallas are part of the 11 then the implication is that many of the 11 would be the newer teams that the NHL owner pillaged not so very long ago.

It's all good.

11. MAROONSRoad

MAROONSRoad f/k/a Ghost

Oh, I see. Still there are about 3,000 club seats at Bell Centre (about 15% of the seats; and that doesn't include luxury suites). Those would be included in the average cost to see a hockey game wouldn't they? :dunno:

12. MAROONSRoad

MAROONSRoad f/k/a Ghost

Hi Lowetide!

It's from one billionaire's pocket to another's. The cost of a season ticket to most of us in relative terms! :)

Oh yeah, could you explain what you mean by "would be prudent" and "t's all good." I'm not sure I'm following your point there without having to guess.

Thank you.

GHOST

13. Sotnos

Sotnos Registered User

Home Page:
    Agreed, I like your thinking. Some of the teams that were on the receiving end are now giving back, nothing wrong with that.

However, there's no way that Boston or the NYR got any money from my understanding. One of the provisions of receiving revenue sharing has to do with local population, presumably it was put in there to prevent Wirtz from finding a way to get his hands on it.

Really makes you wonder who the 11 were. It's hard to think of that many off the top of my head that fit the criteria.

14. Lowetide

Lowetide Registered User

Well we're comparing the idle rich from one town to another, but it still matters. "Would be prudent" is a fancy way to flower up an argument and "it's all good" is recognized throughout the english speaking world as meaning "I don't really care."

15. Irish Blues

Actuary
    Off the top of my head: Washington, Nashville, Phoenix, St. Louis, Columbus, San Jose, and Pittsburgh are seven. Florida is another likely possibility along with Tampa.

Anaheim, Los Angeles, the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Dallas, Boston, Detroit, Minnesota, and Chicago are out because of market size and/or team revenues. Colorado is probably out based on revenues as well, Philadelphia is probably out based on market size. Buffalo could yet be in, Carolina is probably out b/c of their Finals run and the resulting crush of merchandise sales.

16. thenextone

thenextone Registered User

Nashville for sure. Leopold said he was building his team to ensure he receives maximum revenue sharing money.

17. Bear of Bad News

Bear of Bad News HFBoards Escape Goat

Quote?

And preferably from Craig Leipold, and not anyone named Leopold.

18. Sotnos

Sotnos Registered User

Home Page:
    Not Tampa. The team President stated publically that we're right in the middle of the pack and neither paid in nor received anything.

It was published somewhere that the 'Canes got money last year, and I think Buffalo did too (but not sure on that one).

19. FreeBird

FreeBird Registered User Sponsor

That's just Un American. :shakehead

20. KeydGV21

KeydGV21 Registered User

Both were in. I know the Sabres set their budget last year and this year on the assumption they were going to get revenue sharing. It's mentioned a few times in this thread http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=267483 I don't think it comes out and says we do in that thread (I took only a brief look) but we fit the criteria for it and as I said in the Season Ticket thread it's been rumored by the Sabes flagship station that the Sabres raised Season Ticket prices mostly because they were pressured by the NHLPA to raise overall revenue and the NHL to increase their own revenue, something the league only cares about because they know the Sabres will be qualifying for it yet again this season.

As for Carolina I saw an article quite awhile ago on the Leafs board how they were upset teams were winning it all using revenue sharing money that came from the Leafs. http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/506256.html

21. MAROONSRoad

MAROONSRoad f/k/a Ghost

Thanks for the clarification Lowetide!

I thought as much regarding "would be prudent."

My first language is English and I didn't know "it's all good" = "I don't really care." You learn something new everyday I guess! :)

Just one question, though, if "it still matters" why don't you really care?

Cheers,

GHOST

22. krudmonk

krudmonk Registered User

What's the cost of operating a building in Canada? Are there as many events competing for the dollar?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  23. Injektilo

Injektilo Registered User

Future Team Guatemala hea
    Dude, stop giving LT the third degree.

He probably doesn't care because how much money the NHL makes and where it goes isn't really any of his concern.

24. HughJass*

HughJass* Guest

Seems like most of you are taking GHOSTofMAROONSroad the wrong way, but what else do I expect when everyone here at HF thinks they can speak on league finances when they can't even balance their own checkbook. :dunno:

"That" wouldn't be prudent.

25. Injektilo

Injektilo Registered User

Future Team Guatemala hea
    I think the problem here is more that people speak in depth on league business problems without actually having any real concrete info. The NHLPA leak from a few weeks ago is pretty much the only solid document that's available, and that tells far from a complete story.