11 US teams received revenue sharing in '06

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Patrick Laforge,
President, Edmonton Oilers
Sportsnet Interview

for '05-'06 season:

-11 American teams received revenue sharing.
-NO Canadian teams received revenue sharing.
-Oilers paid into revenue sharing.

Last edited:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Good evening! :)

I read an article that mentioned some of those points in the Toronto Globe & Mail. Here is an excerpt:

"And as for revenue sharing, another important plank in the NHL's new economic model, not a single dollar has flowed north of the border since the lockout, while 11 U.S. teams shared payouts for last season of between roughly $3-million and $12.6-million (all figures U.S.)."

I don’t think it mentions the breakdown. Here’s the link:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070219.wsptnhl19/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

I hope that’s helpful!

GHOST

the_hockey_mistress

Dec 29, 2006
hay thanks fellows !! ..just kinda sad when i see the ticket prices (with meals included!!!) south of the border. I really feel if they cant sell tickets they should be moved to where its proven there would be sold out games at normal prices. PD article helped...thanks !!!

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
That "list of prices with meals included" is a far-fetched estimate that isn't really accurate. We've debunked it here several times.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
That "list of prices with meals included" is a far-fetched estimate that isn't really accurate. We've debunked it here several times.

Hello Irish Blues!

I can't speak for all of the NHL arenas, but in the club seats at Bell Centre food is included with the ticket price. You just walk up to the counter and order whatever you want from the set menu. The last time I was there the cost was around $145 CAD for those seats if I recall correctly, although that was before the lockout, and I was a guest! :)

You still have to pay for booze, though. :amazed:

I hope that's helpful.

GHOST

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Hello Irish Blues!

I can't speak for all of the NHL arenas, but in the club seats at Bell Centre food is included with the ticket price. You just walk up to the counter and order whatever you want from the set menu. The last time I was there the cost was around $145 CAD for those seats if I recall correctly, although that was before the lockout, and I was a guest! :)
That's club seats. I'm talking about the supposed average cost to go see a hockey game at any of the 30 arenas around the league.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Seems reasonable. I know that there were several years where EDM did receive revenue dollars from the league and based on the owner comments were vital to the Oilers at that time.

The NHL entry price for these new franchises being what they are it would seem to me that a structured "revenue share" for new teams rolling out over a decade or more from expansion would be prudent, and since one doubts that a Boston or a NYR or a Detroit or even a Dallas are part of the 11 then the implication is that many of the 11 would be the newer teams that the NHL owner pillaged not so very long ago.

It's all good.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
That's club seats. I'm talking about the supposed average cost to go see a hockey game at any of the 30 arenas around the league.

Oh, I see. Still there are about 3,000 club seats at Bell Centre (about 15% of the seats; and that doesn't include luxury suites). Those would be included in the average cost to see a hockey game wouldn't they? :dunno:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Seems reasonable. I know that there were several years where EDM did receive revenue dollars from the league and based on the owner comments were vital to the Oilers at that time.

The NHL entry price for these new franchises being what they are it would seem to me that a structured "revenue share" for new teams rolling out over a decade or more from expansion would be prudent, and since one doubts that a Boston or a NYR or a Detroit or even a Dallas are part of the 11 then the implication is that many of the 11 would be the newer teams that the NHL owner pillaged not so very long ago.

It's all good.

Hi Lowetide!

It's from one billionaire's pocket to another's. The cost of a season ticket to most of us in relative terms! :)

Oh yeah, could you explain what you mean by "would be prudent" and "t's all good." I'm not sure I'm following your point there without having to guess.

Thank you.

GHOST

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com

It's all good.
Agreed, I like your thinking. Some of the teams that were on the receiving end are now giving back, nothing wrong with that.

However, there's no way that Boston or the NYR got any money from my understanding. One of the provisions of receiving revenue sharing has to do with local population, presumably it was put in there to prevent Wirtz from finding a way to get his hands on it.

Really makes you wonder who the 11 were. It's hard to think of that many off the top of my head that fit the criteria.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Hi Lowetide!

It's from one billionaire's pocket to another's. The cost of a season ticket to most of us in relative terms! :)

Oh yeah, could you explain what you mean by "would be prudent" and "t's all good." I'm not sure I'm following your point there without having to guess.

Thank you.

GHOST

Well we're comparing the idle rich from one town to another, but it still matters. "Would be prudent" is a fancy way to flower up an argument and "it's all good" is recognized throughout the english speaking world as meaning "I don't really care."

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Really makes you wonder who the 11 were. It's hard to think of that many off the top of my head that fit the criteria.
Off the top of my head: Washington, Nashville, Phoenix, St. Louis, Columbus, San Jose, and Pittsburgh are seven. Florida is another likely possibility along with Tampa.

Anaheim, Los Angeles, the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Dallas, Boston, Detroit, Minnesota, and Chicago are out because of market size and/or team revenues. Colorado is probably out based on revenues as well, Philadelphia is probably out based on market size. Buffalo could yet be in, Carolina is probably out b/c of their Finals run and the resulting crush of merchandise sales.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Not Tampa. The team President stated publically that we're right in the middle of the pack and neither paid in nor received anything.

It was published somewhere that the 'Canes got money last year, and I think Buffalo did too (but not sure on that one).

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Off the top of my head: Washington, Nashville, Phoenix, St. Louis, Columbus, San Jose, and Pittsburgh are seven. Florida is another likely possibility along with Tampa.

Anaheim, Los Angeles, the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Dallas, Boston, Detroit, Minnesota, and Chicago are out because of market size and/or team revenues. Colorado is probably out based on revenues as well, Philadelphia is probably out based on market size. Buffalo could yet be in, Carolina is probably out b/c of their Finals run and the resulting crush of merchandise sales.

Both were in. I know the Sabres set their budget last year and this year on the assumption they were going to get revenue sharing. It's mentioned a few times in this thread http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=267483 I don't think it comes out and says we do in that thread (I took only a brief look) but we fit the criteria for it and as I said in the Season Ticket thread it's been rumored by the Sabes flagship station that the Sabres raised Season Ticket prices mostly because they were pressured by the NHLPA to raise overall revenue and the NHL to increase their own revenue, something the league only cares about because they know the Sabres will be qualifying for it yet again this season.

As for Carolina I saw an article quite awhile ago on the Leafs board how they were upset teams were winning it all using revenue sharing money that came from the Leafs. http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/506256.html

Even if the Hurricanes hadn't won a championship, they would have been in a position to lose substantially less money, a victory in itself. Not only did the league's new labor agreement reduce salaries from pre-lockout levels -- the Hurricanes saved more than $10 million in payroll costs compared to the 2003-04 season -- it spreads the wealth around to a substantial degree.

The league ended up collecting about $96 million in its revenue-sharing fund, according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, from high-revenue teams, national TV contracts and playoff revenue. That money is distrubuted to the 15 lowest-revenue teams, excluding any teams in major markets like the Chicago Blackhawks.

While that meant the Hurricanes had to turn over half of what they collected in gate revenue during the playoffs to the league, they ended up with about two-thirds of the total since the NHL's final accounting was completed, Hurricanes president and general manager Jim Rutherford said.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Well we're comparing the idle rich from one town to another, but it still matters. "Would be prudent" is a fancy way to flower up an argument and "it's all good" is recognized throughout the english speaking world as meaning "I don't really care."

Thanks for the clarification Lowetide!

I thought as much regarding "would be prudent."

My first language is English and I didn't know "it's all good" = "I don't really care." You learn something new everyday I guess! :)

Just one question, though, if "it still matters" why don't you really care?

Cheers,

GHOST

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
What's the cost of operating a building in Canada? Are there as many events competing for the dollar?

Last edited by a moderator:

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Thanks for the clarification Lowetide!

I thought as much regarding "would be prudent."

My first language is English and I didn't know "it's all good" = "I don't really care." You learn something new everyday I guess! :)

Just one question, though, if "it still matters" why don't you really care?

Cheers,

GHOST

Dude, stop giving LT the third degree.

He probably doesn't care because how much money the NHL makes and where it goes isn't really any of his concern.

HughJass*

Seems like most of you are taking GHOSTofMAROONSroad the wrong way, but what else do I expect when everyone here at HF thinks they can speak on league finances when they can't even balance their own checkbook. :dunno:

"That" wouldn't be prudent.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Seems like most of you are taking GHOSTofMAROONSroad the wrong way, but what else do I expect when everyone here at HF thinks they can speak on league finances when they can't even balance their own checkbook. :dunno:

"That" wouldn't be prudent.

I think the problem here is more that people speak in depth on league business problems without actually having any real concrete info. The NHLPA leak from a few weeks ago is pretty much the only solid document that's available, and that tells far from a complete story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->