Prospect Info: #105 G Evan Cormier

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I really want to see what this guy can do in front of an actual defense/team. I worked for the team he played for (Saginaw Spirit). He's got a lot of talent, but was hung out to dry a lot this past season. He's pretty durable and can play a lot of games if needed. I think he needs to get stronger mentally. I know he would beat himself up a lot after some goals, and it would only make those games even worse.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I really want to see what this guy can do in front of an actual defense/team. I worked for the team he played for (Saginaw Spirit). He's got a lot of talent, but was hung out to dry a lot this past season. He's pretty durable and can play a lot of games if needed. I think he needs to get stronger mentally. I know he would beat himself up a lot after some goals, and it would only make those games even worse.

Thanks for the insight! Great to have guys familiar with the player chime in.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
know nothing about him, but I can't get behind picking ANOTHER goalie

He provides organizational depth and we need them + he's years away from even being a pro. Goalies aren't punters. If we had taken one in the 2nd or 3rd I'd agree, but a 4th? So what.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Thank you for the input. Sounds like improving his mental game is the biggest challenge he faces.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah that is a really big problem.

You take him at this point hoping he can grow past that. Seems to be the right goalie pick at that point in the draft.

They are so hard to project out though so not a lot to really say about it. Goalie picks are never sexy, but we did need another in the system with Kinky almost guaranteed gone after next year and Wedge still a question mark.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Cormier has NHL size, athleticism and a wicked glove hand. That combination alone makes him a worthy gamble in the 4th round.

Goaltenders are very hard to project at age 18. This is why they are becoming increasingly rare selections in the first two rounds. When you get a guy who is projectable to an NHL starter or back-up in the 4th round, it's never a bad pick regardless of positional need.

I'm looking forward to watching this kid develop.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I remember reading a predraft scouting report that said he resembles Matt Murray.

Yes, Future Considerations has Matt Murray as a comparable play style to Cormier. A Hockey Prospect scout also called Cormier a somewhat lower-level Blackwood goalie in the ability to steal games, just not on a consistent level.

Cormier has a lot of work to develop, but he has one of the highest potential upsides of the goaltenders in this draft class. I really do like this pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad