GDT: 10/9/17 - 7:30PM EDT - Washington vs Tampa Bay

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
A lot of that is the fact that Dotchin has not looked good so far (although not horrible), so it's hard to play him top pairing minutes. Add in a lot of special teams (9 total penalties - and PP is all Hedman/Stralman) plus OT where it was Hedman/Stralman, and then 4 forwards on the PP, you can get some odd ice time totals.

Sergachev had another strong game I thought. Almost played the hero... want the kid to get a goal badly. I just don't see how we can send him back to Juniors - I think he needs to buy a house.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We need a blowout win or loss to give Sergachev, Koekkoek and Dotchin extended minutes. Every game has been close so they're benching everyone but Hedman and Stralman. We need to find out what we have with these 3. Also we could easily play Sustr 12 minutes a night instead of Sergachev which isn't doing him much good, send him back if he's gonna be that limited.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A lot of that is the fact that Dotchin has not looked good so far (although not horrible), so it's hard to play him top pairing minutes. Add in a lot of special teams (9 total penalties - and PP is all Hedman/Stralman) plus OT where it was Hedman/Stralman, and then 4 forwards on the PP, you can get some odd ice time totals.

Sergachev had another strong game I thought. Almost played the hero... want the kid to get a goal badly. I just don't see how we can send him back to Juniors - I think he needs to buy a house.

Last night showed how much faith the staff has in Koekkoek.

So long as Sergachev doesn't forget how to skate, it looks like he's here to stay.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If they played like they did in the 3rd they would be tough to beat but we've been saying that for a while now. Still feels good to beat them. They just have to be a consistent team. We know they can be a very tough team to beat when they all play together and all at a high level. The question that I think lingers in every lightning fan is why can't they do that for a full 60 minutes on a consistent basis? If we can find out how to do that we will be contenders.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If they played like they did in the 3rd they would be tough to beat but we've been saying that for a while now. Still feels good to beat them. They just have to be a consistent team. We know they can be a very tough team to beat when they all play together and all at a high level. The question that I think lingers in every lightning fan is why can't they do that for a full 60 minutes on a consistent basis? If we can find out how to do that we will be contenders.

While we took over in the 3rd, the entire game was a pretty good showing up and down the line up. I know people are hard on Johnson right now, but I'm seeing a lot of flashes of the 2015 Johnson. The 4th line was great all game. This was easily Kucherov's best game, start to finish. Stralman, Coburn. It was a good effort.

We didn't dominate the Caps in the first two periods, but, at the very least, we were evenly matched. And the Caps are a top team in the East.

In the third we finally started getting pucks on net and creating havoc. Kucherov was electric, Point was making things happen, as always.

Can we consistently play that way? I also noticed we weren't reversing the puck nearly so much before breaking out. We were just attacking. Maybe because we were behind? I really don't know.

And then there's the curious case of Steven Stamkos and his inability to put pucks on net. Gotta think that'll work itself out over time.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
While we took over in the 3rd, the entire game was a pretty good showing up and down the line up. I know people are hard on Johnson right now, but I'm seeing a lot of flashes of the 2015 Johnson. The 4th line was great all game. This was easily Kucherov's best game, start to finish. Stralman, Coburn. It was a good effort.

We didn't dominate the Caps in the first two periods, but, at the very least, we were evenly matched. And the Caps are a top team in the East.

In the third we finally started getting pucks on net and creating havoc. Kucherov was electric, Point was making things happen, as always.

Can we consistently play that way? I also noticed we weren't reversing the puck nearly so much before breaking out. We were just attacking. Maybe because we were behind? I really don't know.

And then there's the curious case of Steven Stamkos and his inability to put pucks on net. Gotta think that'll work itself out over time.
Yeah I'm not worried about Stamkos. Fact is he has 5 points playing pretty poorly so far. Bodes well for if/when he turns it around.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It just worries me because of our recent history of playing "catch up". I think when you play from behind your offense opens up and it's almost as if our team is better when that happens. It's not necessarily the worst thing because you know that your team can do that but we see it way too often.

One thing that I think will help us is how the league is wanting to increase scoring with the increase in calls on slashing and other related penalties. This does a lot for us. One obvious reason is let's our skilled faster players have more opportunities either through power play from teams getting the calls or from teams adjusting to the rules and not being able to keep up.

Another possible positive is that it may cause us to move on from Sustr because he is prone to these penalties and is an anchor in the transition game. It may open up time for Koekkoek if he earns it. If he was able to prove he can play at this level and his skating may make it a possibility but it needs to come together for him to get the full time gig. My thought is he can't possibly be worse than Sustr. I agree with people that say last nights lineup worked on so many levels. I really think Sergachev deserves to be here full time. He makes our team better when he's in our lineup.

Another thing to consider is that Girardi signing makes more sense when you watch him play. He's obviously not all that gifted defensively and that may be putting it lightly but he blocks shots and his effort level is excellent. We have been using him the right way. Coburn and him make a nice third pairing.

Hopefully they can keep it up they have another tough game against the repeat champs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah I'm not worried about Stamkos. Fact is he has 5 points playing pretty poorly so far. Bodes well for if/when he turns it around.

I am, all this does is not allow you to question his production, his play is pretty awful and his shots completely off. He's done nothing this year to show me he's even close to his peak level of play, I guarantee you if we get 2015-2016 Stamkos this season we're not doing jack in the playoffs, luckily there's still 79 games to see if things change.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I am, all this does is not allow you to question his production, his play is pretty awful and his shots completely off. He's done nothing this year to show me he's even close to his peak level of play, I guarantee you if we get 2015-2016 Stamkos this season we're not doing jack in the playoffs, luckily there's still 79 games to see if things change.
I'll be the first criticizing him if he's playing like this at game 25, but with the amount of time he's been out I'll take it easy on him until he gets his timing back.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I may be wrong but it seemed that the forwards were playing more defensively last night. It threw the flow off somewhat but none the less nice win and held OV without a goal thats a good night now Backstrom..

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I may be wrong but it seemed that the forwards were playing more defensively last night. It threw the flow off somewhat but none the less nice win and held OV without a goal thats a good night now Backstrom..

The last 20mins seems to have people forgetting the first 40, that was far from a perfect game if Vasi doesn't stand on his head yet they're still killing his GAA. We had some huge scrambles where the defense lost the puck and Vasi was getting shelled, not to mention that 4 on 1. Lots of positives towards the ends of the game but don't let that fool you, on a normal goaltender we're already down 4/5-1 before that comeback.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The last 20mins seems to have people forgetting the first 40, that was far from a perfect game if Vasi doesn't stand on his head yet they're still killing his GAA. We had some huge scrambles where the defense lost the puck and Vasi was getting shelled, not to mention that 4 on 1. Lots of positives towards the ends of the game but don't let that fool you, on a normal goaltender we're already down 4/5-1 before that comeback.
Yeah there's plenty of game tape to learn from last night - the first 30 minutes were pretty damn bad.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017

I could be completely wrong here, probably am, but isn't Stammer way ahead of schedule, as far as elite-level pro athletes, for coming back from a knee procedure like he had? I thought it took Parise or somebody like that, 18 months to get back to 'normal.' He is definitely not at the same 100% Steven Stamkos level that we've seen before. His speed seems down, timing and accuracy are way off, but damn, still 5 A's in 3 games, better than sitting at home still rehabing. In reality, I'm expecting him to keep producing at around the same level, making small improvements over the next 2-3-4 months; rest over the all-star break, then come back ready to 'try' go 1-for-1 with Ovi on goals for the rest of the season.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I could be completely wrong here, probably am, but isn't Stammer way ahead of schedule, as far as elite-level pro athletes, for coming back from a knee procedure like he had? I thought it took Parise or somebody like that, 18 months to get back to 'normal.' He is definitely not at the same 100% Steven Stamkos level that we've seen before. His speed seems down, timing and accuracy are way off, but damn, still 5 A's in 3 games, better than sitting at home still rehabing. In reality, I'm expecting him to keep producing at around the same level, making small improvements over the next 2-3-4 months; rest over the all-star break, then come back ready to 'try' go 1-for-1 with Ovi on goals for the rest of the season.

The last time he had a majory leg injury it took him 200+ games, 2 full seasons and a cup run to get back to "normal".

One thing is that last time he came back he looked by all means completely fine physically, he's been noticeably slower to me this season. That top end speed isn't there or isn't there yet, but I guess a knee injury will do that to you.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The last time he had a majory leg injury it took him 200+ games, 2 full seasons and a cup run to get back to "normal".

One thing is that last time he came back he looked by all means completely fine physically, he's been noticeably slower to me this season. That top end speed isn't there or isn't there yet, but I guess a knee injury will do that to you.
I haven't seen much speed either, but that's not what concerns me. One-timers put a lot of torque on the knee - if he's not feeling comfortable it's going to throw the shot off.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I actually think Stamkos has been playing surprisingly well. His acceleration and top speed isn't there yet, and it likely won't be this year. Parise said it took him about 18 months before his knee felt 100%. And his shot will correct itself. He's a little off right now, but he also has only played 5 games in about 11 months. He's been on the positive side of possession so far despite us getting demolished the first 2 games. He's getting points. He's fine, I think we just need to cut the guy a little slack.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

They showed an interview of Bowness last night where he talked about Sergachev and how he's going to get better as the season goes on so he's here to stay unless something major happens.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think with Stamkos, sometimes he gets so much coverage that he can put up points just by hitting the open man, because sometimes they've got a lot of space to work with. The one goal I think he really "created" was the beauty pass to Namestnikov. I could be forgetting others. But one thing about Stamkos is he puts up points even when his play is otherwise off.

He's had some pretty wide open looks though. He's off target so far, but I don't think that's a thing to worry about.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Haha...worried yet ends with "luckily there's still 79 games to see if things change."

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Busting our hump for 30 minutes instead of waiting until the last 10 was a major improvement. To at least some degree Stamkos lived up to the promise of seeing improvement "tonight" and it's a relief to actually see the lip service translate (somewhat) onto the ice. I think it was Sky who alluded to it but I couldn't agree more with the point of if it wasn't for several 10 bell saves by Vasy we'd have been down 4-1 or worse in a hurry.

But I will say this: the Caps did not have an answer for us once we got into the flow of things. I wasn't about to say it out loud during the comeback and OT but it felt like one of those nights where the team that's in the lead is going to ultimately be lost because the losing team is pushing back so hard that they are going to win no matter what. It was a brilliant fight back by us.

Did anyone else get the feeling of that night we had against the Hawks where Gourde scored the OT winner? It felt just like that. As if the game was destiny for us.

To a degree I'm relieved we are playing the Caps, Pens and Blues in a row like this. They're as good as it gets in the NHL and it's the best possible measuring stick we could have. We need to prove it to the fans and to ourselves that we are a legitimate contender. Wins against those teams will not only restore faith from the fanbase but I think it'll also restore some much needed swagger and faith in ourselves.

I'm apprehensive but much more confident than I would've been had our 5-2 loss predictions come true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad