Pre-Game Talk: 10/13/17 Rangers @ Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Hope that they'll "pull themselves together" and get some team synergy going... our system is currently (mostly) not working, with a lot of "headless chickens", people out of position, caught flat footed, seemingly lacking the needed energy ("slow backchecking"), etc etc..

We are still in the "getting the team to gel" phase i guess... :)

Or in the "tuning AV out" phase.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Grabs at least back on the 4th line refering to a post article. David D. will center the third line with Miller as wing.

So I guess Nash - Hayes - Zucc on the 2nd line.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
if we don't score in the first 15 seconds, look for the lines to be completely changed, Staal promoted back to the first pair, and Girardi re-acquired

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
OMG for all the chickenlittling about Smith, ADA, Holden, and Kamper you would think Holden and Kamper were on the ice for like 20 goals in their 2 games but I think I remember like 1 goal they were on the ice for so far this season. While I want Smith and ADA to play they were benched because they made some horrible plays that did lead to actual goals against. I'm one of Smiths biggest supporters but for some reason he has looked bad for a month. Smith and ADA will both be back just like Zooks, CK, JT, Hayes, etc all came back to play significant roles after being benched. Fans make such a big issue about 3rd pairing dmen and 4th line scrubs when 85% of the games are decided by our top 9 and goalie. Get your top 9 and goalie right and the rest will not be a big deal.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
OMG for all the chickenlittling about Smith, ADA, Holden, and Kamper you would think Holden and Kamper were on the ice for like 20 goals in their 2 games but I think I remember like 2 goals they were on the ice for so far this season. While I want Smith and ADA to play they were benched because they made some horrible plays that did lead to actual goals against. I'm one of Smiths biggest supporters but for some reason he has looked bad for a month. Smith and ADA will both be back just like Zooks, CK, JT, Hayes, etc all came back to play significant roles after being benched. Fans make such a big issue about 3rd pairing dmen and 4th line scrubs when 85% of the games are decided by our top 9 and goalie. Get your top 9 and goalie right and the rest will not be a big deal.

Nicky, that pairing has not been good these past two games. They both got owned on the Blues GWG shift because Kampfer turned it over and Holden backed up into the abyss and got crossed up. If he wants to play Holden in a third pairing role I’m ok with it (for the short term), but there’s no way that his play these past two games should have earned him a promotion to the first pair. Kampfer is rightfully in the press box.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
As it stands right now, we are getting more value out of our 4th round pick (Nick Holden) than Derek Stepan (ADA + LA)

I think the team really hoped they could move that #7 in to a top 5 pick. The night of the draft I got the feeling they were disappointed that they could not move up. Obviously way too soon to judge the trade but for this season the trade could end up pretty bad with our payoff being delayed.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nicky, that pairing has not been good these past two games. They both got owned on the Blues GWG shift because Kampfer turned it over and Holden backed up into the abyss and got crossed up. If he wants to play Holden in a third pairing role I’m ok with it (for the short term), but there’s no way that his play these past two games should have earned him a promotion to the first pair. Kampfer is rightfully in the press box.

I totally agree with you but that brings four questions to my mind.

1. Were Smith and ADA good in our first 2 games?
2. Are 3rd pairing defensemen expected to be good?
3. Have Holden/Kamp been on the ice for more goals than the guys they replaced?
4. Is this move expected to last forever or be temporary?

The bottom line for me is I want both Smith and ADA to play but their play in the first two games earned them a temporary benching. I guess I just find all the bellyaching to be a bit over the top at times.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

It was on the PK, Nash also ran into Grabner like a second before that Kampfer turnover. Not that Kampfer made the right play by trying to throw it to where that happened, and Holden did get turnstiled but I doubt he expected those two to run in to each other in that spot.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
By the way we can bash xyz player all we want. We can bash xyz coach all we want but the bottom line is if we don't get our 8.5 mill goalie to play like he has in the past none of the rest will matter.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
Smith is reportedly back in.

McDonagh-Holden
Skjei-Smith
Staal-Shattenkirk

Anyone remember that old site that was set up as the "Tom Renney Random Line Maker"? I feel like AV found it and updated it for his D pairs this year... no rhyme or reason and WAYYYY to early to start splitting up pairs. let them be awful and at least start to develop chemistry...

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Part of me always wonders if AV is just screwing with us at this point.

Maybe next game we'll see

Staal - Smith
TDA - Kampfer
Shattenkirk - Holden

and McDonagh and Skjei are healthy scratches.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I totally agree with you but that brings four questions to my mind.

1. Were Smith and ADA good in our first 2 games?
2. Are 3rd pairing defensemen expected to be good?
3. Have Holden/Kamp been on the ice for more goals than the guys they replaced?
4. Is this move expected to last forever or be temporary?

The bottom line for me is I want both Smith and ADA to play but their play in the first two games earned them a temporary benching. I guess I just find all the bellyaching to be a bit over the top at times.
I think Smith has been bad, which is why I said Holden is fine to me in a 3rd pairing role. ADA had a few rough plays against Toronto, but he’s a young kid and won’t learn to work out those errors in the press box. Holden and Kampfer have only been on for that one goal against, but there play has me thinking that we’re lucky Hank has been sharp these past two games and not that they’ve been good.

We’re on the same page regarding them playing, but if we’re using bad games as a barometer for ice time, Kamper and Holden just had 2 of them. There needs to be some consistency.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Anyone remember that old site that was set up as the "Tom Renney Random Line Maker"? I feel like AV found it and updated it for his D pairs this year... no rhyme or reason and WAYYYY to early to start splitting up pairs. let them be awful and at least start to develop chemistry...

This one?

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Is AV coaching the same way when this team went to the SCF or has he changed since then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad