Prospect Info: #1 Nico Hischier (C): "I love to hockey" Update: Signed. Will wear #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, my concern is not that he's doesn't have enough room to add size and muscle. My concern is that he's going to be playing 2-3 games a week against men that are 30-40 pounds heavier than him. A professional ice hockey game is an extraordinarily stressful physical event, one that requires a couple of days to recover from. It's hard to build out your frame in those conditions. It's probably hard enough to do it while playing MJ.
Well, major junior isn't an option. Hischier's going to be playing pro, either here in North America or back home in Switzerland.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Well, major junior isn't an option. Hischier's going to be playing pro, either here in North America or back home in Switzerland.

Yeah, someone else mentioned that. I don't really understand how that all works, I know MJ players can't go to the AHL, but maybe Hischier was on loan to Halifax? Or was that because he signed the ELC?

Hischier's probably talented enough to succeed at in the NHL despite my concerns, but you're saying that if a similar Swiss player was draft in the middle of the round, and really wasn't ready for the bigs he's have to go back to Switzerland? That seems crazy.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah, someone else mentioned that. I don't really understand how that all works, I know MJ players can't go to the AHL, but maybe Hischier was on loan to Halifax? Or was that because he signed the ELC?

Hischier's probably talented enough to succeed at in the NHL despite my concerns, but you're saying that if a similar Swiss player was draft in the middle of the round, and really wasn't ready for the bigs he's have to go back to Switzerland? That seems crazy.

no he can still play in the Q. NLA is just a way better league with men in it so it would be better for him to be there. but i think he'll play in the NHL regardless

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The whole system is bizarre. I thought the whole idea of him not being eligible for the AHL was so the league doesn't pilfer talent from the Q. It kind of defeats the purpose if the player can decide to play in a foreign league instead.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The whole system is bizarre. I thought the whole idea of him not being eligible for the AHL was so the league doesn't pilfer talent from the Q. It kind of defeats the purpose if the player can decide to play in a foreign league instead.

A player can always do that, regardless of whether or not they're signed to an NHL contract. 2012 Devils draft pick Artur Gavrus left major junior and went back to Belarus to play because his father was ill.

What a player cannot do is use that to escape his NHL team - Gavrus was NJ property for 2 more years than he otherwise would've been because he did that.

This is a rare case because Hischier is from a country that has a men's league that would be perfect for the level he'd be at if he's not NHL ready. For most players drafted out of junior hockey this is not true.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
A player can always do that, regardless of whether or not they're signed to an NHL contract. 2012 Devils draft pick Artur Gavrus left major junior and went back to Belarus to play because his father was ill.

What a player cannot do is use that to escape his NHL team - Gavrus was NJ property for 2 more years than he otherwise would've been because he did that.

This is a rare case because Hischier is from a country that has a men's league that would be perfect for the level he'd be at if he's not NHL ready. For most players drafted out of junior hockey this is not true.

There's no transfer agreement that prohibits players on NHL contracts to play overseas without being loaned there? I thought there was. That was one of the issues when Kovalchuk retired.. we could have blocked him from playing in the KHL if we tolled his contract (and if the KHL didn't oblige, the IIHF could have barred him from playing in international tournaments).

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There's no transfer agreement that prohibits players on NHL contracts to play overseas without being loaned there? I thought there was. That was one of the issues when Kovalchuk retired.. we could have blocked him from playing in the KHL if we tolled his contract (and if the KHL didn't oblige, the IIHF could have barred him from playing in international tournaments).

I worded that poorly - you are correct that a player cannot choose where he plays if he is on an NHL contract. I was trying to say that being on an NHL contract does not prevent it (provided that the NHL team allows it).

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I worded that poorly - you are correct that a player cannot choose where he plays if he is on an NHL contract. I was trying to say that being on an NHL contract does not prevent it (provided that the NHL team allows it).

Ah gotcha.

The other interesting thing with the Bern option is that there is no "all or none" decision. For major juniors, once a player is sent down.. they cannot play in the NHL until their junior team ends their season. Theoretically, Nico could start the year in the NHL, be loaned to the WJC, then go play in Bern for a few months and come back whenever.

The 9 game/40 game marks still apply in terms of burning up a contract year and accruing a year towards FA but gives a little more flexibility.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
5'11 186 is a lot bigger than 6'1 or 6'2 (I've seen both numbers) and 176 or 179 (again, seen both numbers).

I guess we'll see. I have a feeling that's going to stay with the big club no matter what. Again, I'll be happy to be wrong here.

Combine measurements of 6' 1.5" and 178.5 lb's. I hear what you are saying he is a little light for that height. And I think the conditioning at the camp does raise the "is he ready this year?" question a bit higher.

But like with Zacha last year(though I think it was more confidence then size strength thing with Zacha) Devil's can work him in slowly, limit his minutes when necessary, maybe give him a (road) game off here and there. Just to make sure he doesn't wear down.

I'd be very surprised if he was not in NJ this year.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Combine measurements of 6' 1.5" and 178.5 lb's. I hear what you are saying he is a little light for that height. And I think the conditioning at the camp does raise the "is he ready this year?" question a bit higher.

But like with Zacha last year(though I think it was more confidence then size strength thing with Zacha) Devil's can work him in slowly, limit his minutes when necessary, maybe give him a (road) game off here and there. Just to make sure he doesn't wear down.

I'd be very surprised if he was not in NJ this year.
The danger here I see is if we're trying to bring in McLeod and Hischier at the same time, it might be difficult to protect both of them.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Does anyone know the criterias of performance bonuses?

I think this is it

Schedule A bonuses (max $850,000): $212,500 for any of the following achievements - top 6 forward on team in ice time (total or average per game, min 42GP), 20 goals, 35 assists, 60 points, 0.73 points per game (min 42GP), top 3 forward on team in +/- (min 42GP), All Rookie team, All Star game, All Star game MVP. Schedule B bonuses (max $2,000,000): $2,000,000 for any of the following achievements - top 10 forward in the league in goals/assists/points/points per game (min 42GP), top 5 in league in Hart/Selke/Richard voting, NHL First or Second team all star.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Does anyone know the criterias of performance bonuses?

I think this is it

Where did you get that from? All bonus packages aren't created equal.. so you can't just take another ELC's bonus package. That would represent the 'easiest' bonus package possible, which may be what he got but not necessarily.

Type A bonuses cap at 850k.

The categories for a forward are:
TOI (total or per game)- must be top 6 on team and play 42 games
Goals- must score at least 20
Assists- must score at least 35
Points- must score at least 60
PPG- must be at least 0.73 over 42 GP
+/- must be top 3 on team over 42 GP
NHL all-rookie team
NHL all-star participant
NHL all-star game MVP

There's a maximum of 212.5k per category. In each category, it's up to the team/player to negotiate where the bonuses are. For instance, you can give all 212.5k to a player when they hit 20 goals.. or you can give 112.5k for 20 goals and 10k a goal after that until 30 goals. You can also give all 212.5k for 100 goals or give no goal performance bonuses at all.. you get the point. It's like that for each category so there's a fair bit of negotiation to do as the player stands to gain much more if there are easier limits.

You'll notice that adds up to way more than 850k.. but it's capped there so a player can only earn (and get a cap charge) of up to 850k even if they hit more bonuses.

Type B bonuses cap at 2M. Same deal here where the club can negotiate how much/where to put the money.

These are much harder to hit and are all for finishing top 10 in one of statistical categories (TOI, G, A, P, etc.) or winning/finishing high in the voting for specific league trophies. Of note, the Calder isn't eligible for bonuses.

For most rookies, that means they can earn another 850k depending how well they play and where their bonuses are distributed.. but the Type B bonuses are fairly hard to hit for anyone. All ELCs automatically get the type B bonuses.. the type A bonuses are up to negotiation, those are the ones that Lou used to never give out.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Where did you get that from? All bonus packages aren't created equal.. so you can't just take another ELC's bonus package. That would represent the 'easiest' bonus package possible, which may be what he got but not necessarily.

NHL all-rookie team
NHL all-star participant
NHL all-star game MVP

There's a maximum of 212.5k per category. In each category, it's up to the team/player to negotiate where the bonuses are. For instance, you can give all 212.5k to a player when they hit 20 goals.. or you can give 112.5k for 20 goals and 10k a goal after that until 30 goals. You can also give all 212.5k for 100 goals or give no goal performance bonuses at all.. you get the point. It's like that for each category so there's a fair bit of negotiation to do as the player stands to gain much more if there are easier limits.

You'll notice that adds up to way more than 850k.. but it's capped there so a player can only earn (and get a cap charge) of up to 850k even if they hit more bonuses.

Type B bonuses cap at 2M. Same deal here where the club can negotiate how much/where to put the money.

These are much harder to hit and are all for finishing top 10 in one of statistical categories (TOI, G, A, P, etc.) or winning/finishing high in the voting for specific league trophies. Of note, the Calder isn't eligible for bonuses.

For most rookies, that means they can earn another 850k depending how well they play and where their bonuses are distributed.. but the Type B bonuses are fairly hard to hit for anyone. All ELCs automatically get the type B bonuses.. the type A bonuses are up to negotiation, those are the ones that Lou used to never give out.

Lou gave out type A bonuses, they were just only for ice time, and he never signed an ELC that could potentially pay that player more than the rookie maximum. I did not realize that the League gave out type B bonuses, but according to the CBA teams and players can also negotiate for type B bonus payouts, and to my knowledge Lou never did this.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Look, the kid is a bona fide top line center and future star in this league as long as he continues to want to improve his game and develop physically.

He has the physical skill/hands/skating along with high end hockey sense with great character.

It's going to be fun to watch him grow, but please, let's be a little patient with him as it will take a little time until we see him reach his potential.

His teammates will have to carry him at times this coming season.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

NHL all-rookie team
NHL all-star participant
NHL all-star game MVP

that was from Auston Matthews' contract.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The danger here I see is if we're trying to bring in McLeod and Hischier at the same time, it might be difficult to protect both of them.

With Zajac, Boyle, Henrique, and Johansson all capable of playing center, I don't expect this to be an issue at all.

It is my hope that our centers for the season are as follows: Zajac 1C, Hischier 2C, McLeod 3C, Boyle 4C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad