Prospect Info: #1 Nico Hischier (C): "I love to hockey" Update: Signed. Will wear #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I'm glad the Adidas aren't on sale yet if for only the reason that we see the first official unveiling of Hischier's # using the unmatched look of the old style.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
So now I have to decide where to send my white out to be lettered and numbered. Gonna go with Hischier I think. Super glad I got lazy and never sent it out last year for Larsson.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey is ordered! Don't have many of them but I'm too hyped (and a little drunk) not to for Nico.

**** I just watched Zacha's one timer video again and now I want a Zacha jersey too...

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Everyone might hate me for this, but I think Hischier should go back to the Q for a year. His skills, skating, intelligence, etc. are all there, but I just don't think anyone should be in the NHL at 6'2 175... that's crazy. Unless the Devils have someone that can put some mass on him in a hurry, I really think he needs to be at least 190, preferably 200, and I don't know how you put 15-25 pounds on him between now and October.

I'll happily eat crow if I turn out to be wrong, but is anyone in the NHL at that height/weight?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
he's 6'1 179. he's going to put more weight on in the offseason. it's not crazy in any sense to be in the NHL at 6'1 and 180+. off the top of my head I know Ehlers is 6' and is pretty light.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Love that jersey. And now it's not a jersey foul to own that one. Buy Reebok!

First thought I had too. I dislike the new jerseys even though they aren't that bad.. was going to hold off on getting a Nico but I think I may be getting a Nico (and Zacha) asap now.

Surprised the blank reeboks aren't cheaper.. $100 for a jersey they soon can't sell anymore?

Everyone might hate me for this, but I think Hischier should go back to the Q for a year. His skills, skating, intelligence, etc. are all there, but I just don't think anyone should be in the NHL at 6'2 175... that's crazy. Unless the Devils have someone that can put some mass on him in a hurry, I really think he needs to be at least 190, preferably 200, and I don't know how you put 15-25 pounds on him between now and October.

I'll happily eat crow if I turn out to be wrong, but is anyone in the NHL at that height/weight?

He's going to Bern if he doesn't make the NHL squad. And without looking it up, I'm sure there are plenty of smaller/lighter players.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

He's basically 180 right now plus he has a few months to add to that. Smaller players have succeeded recently, it's not out of this world for Nico to play at that size. The way the NHL is trending favours Nico. Smaller, highly skilled players are making big impacts on teams.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He's basically 180 right now plus he has a few months to add to that. Smaller players have succeeded recently, it's not out of this world for Nico to play at that size. The way the NHL is trending favours Nico. Smaller, highly skilled players are making big impacts on teams.

He isn't even that small. We talk like he is 5'9"

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It actually reminds me very much of all the concerns about Parise's size before he made the NHL.

I honestly thought for months he was smaller then he was with how people talked about him pre-draft.

When his combine numbers came in I didn't get what the fuss was about.

As for his weight. Any kid his age needs to bulk up a bit. Nothing really out of the ordinary there. He is really elusive so he will be alright.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It actually reminds me very much of all the concerns about Parise's size before he made the NHL. Parise was slightly bigger than Hischier at 5'11", 186, but only slightly.

I don't remember the weight Parise was at when he made the NHL but Nico does have a few inches in height on him. Parise's lower body is insane though but I guess it sort of has to be at 5'11. Nico is so young, he's gonna continue to sprout until there's no more room for to grow. For next season he'll be fine.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
It actually reminds me very much of all the concerns about Parise's size before he made the NHL. Parise was slightly bigger at 5'11", 186 lbs, but only slightly.

5'11 186 is a lot bigger than 6'1 or 6'2 (I've seen both numbers) and 176 or 179 (again, seen both numbers).

I guess we'll see. I have a feeling that's going to stay with the big club no matter what. Again, I'll be happy to be wrong here.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
5'11 186 is a lot bigger than 6'1 or 6'2 (I've seen both numbers) and 176 or 179 (again, seen both numbers).

I guess we'll see. I have a feeling that's going to stay with the big club no matter what. Again, I'll be happy to be wrong here.

Pretty sure he came in at the combine at 179, which I trust more than other sources. That's not much smaller than Parise's size, in fact the extra 3 inches is definitely a notable difference IMO. He'll also probably gain a few pounds before the season starts.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

It means Hischier has more room to add size and muscle than Parise did at the same age. Parise's NHL weight ended up being ~195. They're also stylistically different; Parise is an elite grinder, Hischier relies on elusive puck-possession and thus needs the weight less to be effective.

We shouldn't be concerned about his size.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
It means Hischier has more room to add size and muscle than Parise did at the same age. Parise's NHL weight ended up being ~195. They're also stylistically different; Parise is an elite grinder, Hischier relies on elusive puck-possession and thus needs the weight less to be effective.

We shouldn't be concerned about his size.

Yeah, my concern is not that he's doesn't have enough room to add size and muscle. My concern is that he's going to be playing 2-3 games a week against men that are 30-40 pounds heavier than him. A professional ice hockey game is an extraordinarily stressful physical event, one that requires a couple of days to recover from. It's hard to build out your frame in those conditions. It's probably hard enough to do it while playing MJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad