#1 in 2007? Who will it be? Other 07 talk.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
From what i've heard James van Riemsdyk stood out the most at the U-17 festival for the USA U-17's.

What can you guys tell me about this 6-5 Hayes kid? DId he play at the U-17's last year? A kid with that size and skill is very intriguing.

ushr said he could potentially be the 1st overall pick in 2008. hes been playing prep, and with some ntdp developement he could turn into the best player available for that draft. he was on the usa select team last summer, and had a great showing. apparently the line of jimmy hayes, mike hoeffel and brett bruneteau put on a clinic at selects. none put up huge numbers, but apparently just dominated, and did whatever they wanted.

dell

Oct 5, 2005
I watched a whole lot of the 17's camp. I would hardly say Hayes Hoeffel and Bruneteau dominated. They had 10 points combined. If they were dominating, they would have put more in than that. Hoeffel and Hayes have the size that makes them hard to move around. Just playing with these 2 Bruneteau should have had 10 goals.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I watched a whole lot of the 17's camp. I would hardly say Hayes Hoeffel and Bruneteau dominated. They had 10 points combined. If they were dominating, they would have put more in than that. Hoeffel and Hayes have the size that makes them hard to move around. Just playing with these 2 Bruneteau should have had 10 goals.

can you give us a recap on who you thought were the top 10 or so forwards and top 5 defenseman? im only going by things that i heard second hand, it would be nice to hear from someone that was there. the things i heard were dmen that stuck out were blum, cohen, blood, ruth, petrecki, and bailen and others. forwards were that line previously mentioned, pat and matt white, thurber, james vr, palmieri, harper, and i probably missed a few. this is just second hand info, id like to hear your opinions though.

dell

Oct 5, 2005
can you give us a recap on who you thought were the top 10 or so forwards and top 5 defenseman? im only going by things that i heard second hand, it would be nice to hear from someone that was there. the things i heard were dmen that stuck out were blum, cohen, blood, ruth, petrecki, and bailen and others. forwards were that line previously mentioned, pat and matt white, thurber, james vr, palmieri, harper, and i probably missed a few. this is just second hand info, id like to hear your opinions though

Well, I think this group of forwards is really deep. Not a ton of high end guys, but a lot of guys in the next tier. I think the scoring at this camp was tough. It depended on a lot whether you put up any numbers at all. Some guys played a lot of their shifts in a game shorthanded due to all the penalties. But here goes:

Hayes and Hoeffel were both good. They are huge. Tough to move, and both plenty skilled.
Thurber is a tough customer. I like him.
Matt White and Nick Dineen were good together. Not a lot of points, but both really good players.
Pat White was good.
Tyler Johnson was really good. Strong for his size.
Van Remsdyke(sp) - was the best of the NTDP forwards by a long shot.
Ryan Hayes didn't do much. Tries to do to much himself.
Tyler Thompson was pretty good here. Needs to play the whole game though.
Joey Diamond is a good player. Tough and can score.
Corey Tropp wasn't bad. He has nice hands
I honestly didn't notice the Mueller kid, but he must have done something right. Led in points.
Palmieri is a big tough kid. He looked good.
Corey Chakeen looked good.
Nico Sacchetti is a solid player.
Schooley and Miani are both good players also. These are the guys I took notes on.

Defensively, I like Ruth, Lavin, Blood played well. Cohen was patient.
Brian Brutlag looked good.
I really didn;t see a dman that stood out as far as their presence running a powerplay. But, the powerplays were really not very good. You could tell they didn't play together much the most on powerplays. There were a significant number of shorthanded goals.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
thanks for the info................i heard that james vr looked like a man amongst boys, was the best player at camp, hes stock is really skyrocketing. how were some of these big name defensemen from you standpoint?

blum
petrecki
llewellyn
shattenkirk
greszczak

dell

Oct 5, 2005
blum
petrecki
llewellyn
shattenkirk
greszczak

Blum is a very solid D.
Petrecki wasn't there. But saw him play several times in the USHL last season. Lots of talent, struggled with plus/minus last year, but is a great prospect.
Llewellyn played like an idiot. Tons of penalties. Stood next to one scout who said he won't go watch Tri-City play next season because he can't stand to watch Llewellyn play. He really doesn't need to play the way he did here, because he is talented.
Shattenkirk was fairly invisible.
greszcak played as well as I've seen him play.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
At the moment, Esposito! hands down... ive seen this guy in action for just about 6 games, but i realy liked what i saw. Ofcourse, time will come and things might change.

blackpilot

Aug 5, 2005
blum
petrecki
llewellyn
shattenkirk
greszczak

Blum is a very solid D.
Petrecki wasn't there. But saw him play several times in the USHL last season. Lots of talent, struggled with plus/minus last year, but is a great prospect.
Llewellyn played like an idiot. Tons of penalties. Stood next to one scout who said he won't go watch Tri-City play next season because he can't stand to watch Llewellyn play. He really doesn't need to play the way he did here, because he is talented.
Shattenkirk was fairly invisible.
greszcak played as well as I've seen him play.

How is it Petrecki was picked for the summer U18 Tournament in Slovakia when they are suppose to be chosen from players at the festival? That's what USA states. For whatever reason he wasn't there, it seems unfair to the guys that showed or couldn't attend because they were injured.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
How is it Petrecki was picked for the summer U18 Tournament in Slovakia when they are suppose to be chosen from players at the festival? That's what USA states. For whatever reason he wasn't there, it seems unfair to the guys that showed or couldn't attend because they were injured.

He had nasal/facial surgery and could not travel to the Select 17. He is a no brainer to make that team.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
For those who've seen Backlund, is he really more skilled than Backstrom? Is he a faster skater, more elusive one on one? Probally not the play maker Backstrom is but is he a more dangerous player one on one?
Keep in mind that I've only seen Backlund 3 times so take it for what its worth. IMO both are very comparable right now with Backlund still having room to grow as a player. Both are outstanding playmakers that can kill a team with tic-tac-toe passes but I think that Backlund is a better long passer and better at slowing the game down, drawing players to him and dishing to open linemates.

Both are very stong and while not PF's, mix it up very well and play with "no fear". We'll see what happens in the long run but I really don't see either of them being the bull that Forsberg was at his best, not many players ever were. Scrappy is the term I would use for both of them.

As far as stickhandling goes, I haven't seen Backlund bring the play up ice like Backstrom. Backstrom reminds me alot of Scott Gomez with his ability of carrying the puck up ice while not being overly fast. That being said I do think that Backlund protects the puck better and has better hand skills than Backstrom. Backstrom does alot with his sense and shiftyness but Backlund can flat out beat players with his moves.

With skating its Backlund all the way. He's alot faster than Backstrom and can make plays at top speed. IMO he's around Kessel skating wise (I know AE is too) but he's also alot stronger on the puck than Kessel and more than willing to go into traffic.

With the players that I've seen so far for 07 its Backlund and Espo that have impressed me the most. Backlund being very close to Forsberg at the same age and Espo being maybe a Guy type.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
For those who've seen Backlund, is he really more skilled than Backstrom? Is he a faster skater, more elusive one on one? Probally not the play maker Backstrom is but is he a more dangerous player one on one?

Hockey sense: Bäckström (Backlund not far behind)
Skating: Backlund (although he is not super fast, but above average.. while I honestly would call Bäckström an average skater speed wise)
Shooting: Backlund
Hands/technical skills: Bäckström (he has incredible hands ,although Backlund too has very good)
Goal scoring ability: Backlund
Playmaking ability: Bäckström (no contest, Backlund is very good, but Bäckström is superb)
Defensive game: Bäckström
Forechecking: Backlund
Physical game: Backlund (no contest)
Attitude: Tie (both are down to earth, but at the same time are very determined to win. Backlund is the more cocky one of the two, but not in a bad way).

both are very allround and I should be able to see them play 20 times or so, this season.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
How bout goalies. 4 went in the first round this year, is it possible to see more next year?

Tyson Sexsmith has the most potential of the group, and if Dustin Slade doesn't return as an OA or being traded, Sexsmith could be the no.1 guy on the Giants. That would be good for his development, and he could possibly be a 1st round pick. Some other goalie prospects(that IMO could be picked in the first round if they have a succesful year) are WHL goalies Kurtis Mucha and Justin Leclerc. But I feel like i'm forgetting someone....

And to answer your question: NO, at this point it seems pretty impossible to that four goalies(or more) will go in the first round. But you never know about goalies..I think that Mucha and Sexsmith will be the only goalies selected in the first round.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

well I seen Backlund play a few games. I like Backlund a bit more than Backstrom, I love the physical play in Backlund, he was very good in throwing hits around and plays a simular style to Peter Forsberg. Backlund is great all around in the offensive end, and is just amazing to watch. Both players Backlund and Backstrom are both going to be dominante, I would give the edge to Backlund though. Better skater, better finisher, more physical, good two way, gives it on the ice and has a leadership attitude.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
Tyson Sexsmith has the most potential of the group, and if Dustin Slade doesn't return as an OA or being traded, Sexsmith could be the no.1 guy on the Giants. That would be good for his development, and he could possibly be a 1st round pick. Some other goalie prospects(that IMO could be picked in the first round if they have a succesful year) are WHL goalies Kurtis Mucha and Justin Leclerc. But I feel like i'm forgetting someone....

And to answer your question: NO, at this point it seems pretty impossible to that four goalies(or more) will go in the first round. But you never know about goalies..I think that Mucha and Sexsmith will be the only goalies selected in the first round.

I hear this quite a bit about Sexsmith but I'll ask it again, on what are you basing this opinion? He was injured all summer, did not come back to the team until January, did not do well at the U-17 tourney when he did come back, hardly played in the regular season in Vancouver, and played zero games in the playoff/mem cup. What exactly has he done to be placed in the position that some posters place him?
BTW, there is no way he will be the #1 guy this year if Slade does not come back. It's a mem cup host year and if Slade is gone Vancouver will trade one or more of their young goalie/player prospects for a proven #1 vet.
You are correct about Mucha, the kid can play and has a record to prove it.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
How high will Katic go top 10? I know he's going in the first round for sure.

From everything I've been reading to this point, he seems to be a top 10. Let us make an example of Jesse Joensuu that plenty can and most certainly will change by the time the '07 draft rolls around. In other words, at this point, Katic could stay where he his, he could fall out of the 1st round and even off of the charts altogether, or even jump up to #1... it happens. I think that is definitely 1 thing many people are indeed catching onto around here these days :)

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
From everything I've been reading to this point, he seems to be a top 10. Let us make an example of Jesse Joensuu that plenty can and most certainly will change by the time the '07 draft rolls around. In other words, at this point, Katic could stay where he his, he could fall out of the 1st round and even off of the charts altogether, or even jump up to #1... it happens. I think that is definitely 1 thing many people are indeed catching onto around here these days :)

The only knock on Katic is his size but his game is ideally suited for today's NHL. A solid skater with good offensive instincts and willing to get his nose dirty. Definitely a lock of the upper half of the first round.....as of now because you are correct in anything can happen and no doubt the rankings will change considerably over the course of the year.

X-SHARKIE

The only knock on Katic is his size but his game is ideally suited for today's NHL. A solid skater with good offensive instincts and willing to get his nose dirty. Definitely a lock of the upper half of the first round.....as of now because you are correct in anything can happen and no doubt the rankings will change considerably over the course of the year.

Sounds to me like Mike Green of Washington. Would you agree?

Transported Upstater

Personally, I think Katic's skating is a bit better than solid...he's a terrific skater for his age and position.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Mucha in the playoffs last year should be a 1st rounder but if he fails to progress and keep up his play he'll drop back down off the radar. Everyone remembers his game 1 shutout of the giants but everyone forgets his inconsistant play that landed him the #3 spot in portland(behind luke shier who has since been dropped from portlands protected list). Kurtis only got a shot after both other goalies went down and he made the most of it. I personally like kurtis a lot and has the correct demeanor for a goaltender, he's calm in net and is always in position when he's on his game. I personally think he's the best young goaltender in the WHL right now and look for him to be better than price down the road. Sexsmith has shown me nothing and I havent seen the kid from lethbridge though i'll mark it down when they come to town so i can get a look at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->