#1 in 2004 - Ovechkin or Crosby??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KariyaIsGod*

I am beginning to think Foppa just dislikes Corsby because he's Canadian.

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
Not light years ahead, but he does seem to be a bit ahead because he is older despite having started playing at a later age. We'll see what Sydneykins does in the upcoming WJ Championship. I have no doubts that Sydneykins is good, but Ovechkin IS lightyears ahead in maturity.

Speaking of mature, how old are you? What is with the childish name calling? Grow up! Crosby started skating earlier, so he should be better????? You're going on about plastic sticks and pucks (???) cell phones (???) Crosby being immature or overconfident. Do you know Crosby personally or are you making stuff up?

I do know both kids are very talented! Who will be the better player? Unless you have a crystal ball that works, who knows right now. You can give us your opinion without having to attack the player you don't like in such an infantile manner.

Deleted member 3032

Foppa_Rules said:
I think he is kind of disgusting. Overconfident, ect. Besides, he's Ovechkin's rival.

How is he Ovechkin's rival? Unless you mean on an international level, then sure, I guess. They aren't even in the same draft, so their is no rivalry there. Most people think, at worst, that they are close to equal. I don't understand why Ovechkin "has to be better then Crosby". Crosby and Ovechkin both had to work really hard to get where they are, neither has had it easy. If it was easy, then we would be seeing more young phenoms like them coming into the league. Instead, since Lemieux we're stuck with only Lindros, Daigle, and Kovalchuk for players that were touted to become true superstars. I think all we have to hope is neither go down the Daigle road and they both avoid injuries. Shouldn't we all be hoping they both succeed and flourish? I sure know I liked watching my team play against the recent year Red Wings more then the '95 Senators. Why? It's more fun to watch a talented team then a bad team. We should be wanting all the players to reach their potential, because I'm sure most people in the league are enjoying Kovalchuk being a scoring machine, just like most of us will enjoy Ovechkin or Crosby doing the same in a couple years.

Everything points away from Crosby being the type of person you've hinted at. If he was all those things you said, he wouldn't be as well liked, and he likely wouldn't be where he is today.

No reason to attack another player to bring "your" player up. It doesn't work like that, and in fact often has the opposite affect.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Crosby isn't that bad a guy, but he is kind of Ovechkin's enemy internationally. That makes him MY enemy so I probably won't like him unless they both get magically drafted to the same team. And I do think Crosby might be getting a LITTLE overconfident, judging by his comments. Not much, but more than Ovechkin is. We'll see if all this hype can worm its way into Sidneykins' head.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Think about this Canada NEEDS a Superstar on the Lemieux level thats why everyone is hyping everything thats there while Russia doesn't need for its ego that Superstar on the lemiuex level.

so what i am trying to say is that if the russians hyped Ovechkin like we are hyping crosby people would have given Ovechkin the Calder, Hart and Art Ross by now.

if you get what i mean

KariyaIsGod*

xtra said:
Think about this Canada NEEDS a Superstar on the Lemieux level thats why everyone is hyping everything thats there while Russia doesn't need for its ego that Superstar on the lemiuex level.

so what i am trying to say is that if the russians hyped Ovechkin like we are hyping crosby people would have given Ovechkin the Calder, Hart and Art Ross by now.

if you get what i mean

How does Canada NEED a superstar?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I'm going to go with Ovechkin on the original question, and yes that's based mostly on the fact that he's playing against men.

Crosby's 5-11, 183 lbs is enough to give him equal footing or even a slight edge in junior, but guys who physically dominate in junior are often overwhelmed by pros. Some of the stuff that he has success at in the q could get him punked in the nhl, a-la Eric Lindros.

Ovechkin is battled tested against fully mature professionals and should be physically ready for the nhl right from his first shift onwards. Advantage Ovechkin.

This is strictly in a have-to scenario. As a gm you take the "can't miss" guy, Ovechkin is closer to having proven that he will at least become a bonafide first line player than Crosby is.

On a hunch, or a gut feeling, Crosby is just rippin' it up man. Someone dissed the idea of focusing purely on stats earlier in this thread but the final score in every game is the only thing that matters. Sid is an offensive juggernaut right now and Ovechkin is just doing very well.

As a gm in a fantasy hockey pool I'd take Sid first, imo he has more potential to put up stupid numbers.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
xtra said:

if you get what i mean
We've got Thornton :yo: and :yo: Bertuzzi, we don't NEED diddley squat.

We OWN this game, if you get what I mean.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Oi'll say! said:
I'm going to go with Ovechkin on the original question, and yes that's based mostly on the fact that he's playing against men.

Crosby's 5-11, 183 lbs is enough to give him equal footing or even a slight edge in junior, but guys who physically dominate in junior are often overwhelmed by pros. Some of the stuff that he has success at in the q could get him punked in the nhl, a-la Eric Lindros.

Ovechkin is battled tested against fully mature professionals and should be physically ready for the nhl right from his first shift onwards. Advantage Ovechkin.

This is strictly in a have-to scenario. As a gm you take the "can't miss" guy, Ovechkin is closer to having proven that he will at least become a bonafide first line player than Crosby is.

On a hunch, or a gut feeling, Crosby is just rippin' it up man. Someone dissed the idea of focusing purely on stats earlier in this thread but the final score in every game is the only thing that matters. Sid is an offensive juggernaut right now and Ovechkin is just doing very well.

As a gm in a fantasy hockey pool I'd take Sid first, imo he has more potential to put up stupid numbers.

Crosby does not do ala Lindros stuff, he does not cut across center and does not stickhandle with his head down. Instead he uses his mind on the ice to create chances he is the smartest player in the junior ranks IMO. IMO I don't think Ovechkin is already proved that he can be a bonafide first line player, he would have to show the ability to adapt to the North American game 1st, just because he is doing well in a mens league does not mean that he is automaticly a NHL star because the game are very different. Crosby is proving himself in the North American style game and Ovechkin is proving himself in a mens league but a Euro style game, both leagues have something over one another here. This is the reason guys like Tuomo Ruutu are not dominating right from comming from a mens league because sometimes players have trouble adjusting to the North American style game (I think each player will have his adjustment time).

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Oi'll say! said:

They're completely different players! Lindros buries somewhat, but got away with it in junior because of his size. Crosby is a superb playmaker which is obvious by the points the kid puts up everywhere he plays. Players who see the ice that well seldom get caught.

The 'he's gonna be a bust' projections baffle me because he has done more at this age than a vast majority of players who ended up very good NHLers. As I've said before, his career so far reminds me of Gretzky more than any other player I can recall. I can still remember people sh*tting on Gretzky when he was that age saying he couldn't skate well enough, or he's too frail, or he won't get away with doing that in the NHL. Regardless, if he becomes a major star or not, I marvel over what he HAS done so far.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Oi'll say! said:

:handclap:

I agree with this 100%.

We can 'argue' this forever, we won't know for 5 or so years even the beginning of who was right. They might both be greats, they might both flop. Time will tell, but as of right now, I have to take Ovechkin over Crosby if I'm making the decision.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
i would take ovechkin....

its tough to say that cause u have to like the canadian kid, but right now ovechkin. i think alot can be compared at the world junior champ. last year i think ovechkin got 6 goals....we can see how well crosby does..... i hope crosby makes me eat my words.....

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ovechkin is probably better skill wise as of right now but in the long run i think Crosby will be an all around better player. Both will be NHL superstars soon :D can't wait to see them both in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad