1 for 1 in next draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
hockeyman28 said:
Le Golie, you are the only person on this board with apparent thought out reasoning. Many of the other posters feel that since Washington was so frickin terrible last year that they deserve Ovechkin and Crosby. These poor teams last year got Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, Ladd, and Wheeler. That oughta do them for alteast another year, as Malkin and Ovechkin are arguably the 2 best Russian prospects ever. I agree with the fact that the worst teams from a single year should get the best draft picks in that year, but a year has come and past. The poor teams could have easily improved, as could the "good" teams become worse.

Thanks buddy, I'm with you - as long as Crosby ends up in a Jets jersey I'll be happy!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Le Golie said:
There is no way any rational person could support an opinion that the bad teams have any more rights to those picks than the good teams.

Umm..yes there is..bad teams have always gotten the better picks. Since when did teams that make the playoffs have a top 10 pick? Sure theres not season to base it of last year..thats why you combine the past 4-5 seasons.

Bettman is a complete buffoon. Get the hell out of our sport.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
This is such a stupid arument...all the fans with a above average team cry they should have an even shot..but everyone knows if there team was sh**ty then they would NEVER in a million years want to change the system how it has always been (crappy teams get better picks then good teams) Arrogant if you ask me. (and yes im sure ill get lots of negative responses to this..I dont really care..its true if you want to admit it or not)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Umm..yes there is..bad teams have always gotten the better picks. Since when did teams that make the playoffs have a top 10 pick? Sure theres not season to base it of last year..thats why you combine the past 4-5 seasons.

And the bad teams got their picks at the 04 draft. That's the logical reward, they don't deserve a 2-for-1 deal.

And where is the logic in your last comment? I'm not singling you out because the idea of up to 5 years weighing the draw has been widespread - but my favourite team (the Islanders) don't deserve anything now for finishing last in 2000-01. Giving them more balls in the drum for that is the most brain dead idea out there.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:

so why would the M ontreal Canadiens be affected by what happend 4 yrs ago?

The Rosters of teams 3-4 and in some cases even 2 yrs ago are completely differnet then they are now. ...

there's absolutely no point of doing this! The rosters, the game and the CBA! has changed since then...it's time to start cleanly. You might as well say the teams with the most stanley cups go last and the teams with no cups go in the lottery... how fair is that? you say that's too many years back right? well it doesn't matter because 4 yrs or 60-70 yrs is no differnet because the habs are completely differnt today then they were 4 yrs ago and the same goes for A LOT OF TEAMS!

Boston? whos to say what would of happend with them last season?
Montreal..what if Jose got injured?
New Jersey..what if Brodeur got injured?

and so on...

and you can't say i'm only saying "what if" ..because that's basically what your doing, your assuming that the team's will play as well as they do on paper...which is almost never the case!

I seriously think Atlanta,Florida would of been in the playoffs or very close to making the playoffs yet if the lottery is "weighed" then Atlanta is one of the teams with the best chance...

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
Everyone deserves an even shot. Like LG said the bad teams got their reward last year. Why should they get another one? The good teams from 2 years ago shouldnt be penalized b/c of the lockout. Especially since most of the teams that have been good the last decade are going to be gutted by the salary cap.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pretty long and growing thread for an unlinked rumor.

You all know my opinion on this so I will not restate the obvious answer as to what is right.

BTW, I was a bit worried about this until I heard on the radio here that they will actually be basing the draft order on a lottery where the 2003-4 bottom five teams have 85 of the 90 balls in the hopper. Rest of the bottom teams get one ball each. The rest of the draft will be based on your 2003-4 finish.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Le Golie said:
And the bad teams got their picks at the 04 draft. That's the logical reward, they don't deserve a 2-for-1 deal.

And where is the logic in your last comment? I'm not singling you out because the idea of up to 5 years weighing the draw has been widespread - but my favourite team (the Islanders) don't deserve anything now for finishing last in 2000-01. Giving them more balls in the drum for that is the most brain dead idea out there.

The fine...they dont deserve a 2 for 1 deal...but they dont deserve the same shot as say the Wings or Avs. Im alright with a weighted lottary... 6% chance a bad team will get Crosby..thats not a very good chance (still 94% someone else will get him).....im more upset over the fact that good/great teams have an even shot with obviously crappier teams.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
FLYLine4LIFE said:
This is such a stupid arument...all the fans with a above average team cry they should have an even shot..but everyone knows if there team was sh**ty then they would NEVER in a million years want to change the system how it has always been (crappy teams get better picks then good teams) Arrogant if you ask me. (and yes im sure ill get lots of negative responses to this..I dont really care..its true if you want to admit it or not)

:biglaugh:

My favourite team is as average as it gets, and I don't care one bit if Crosby goes to Florida, Nashville, Edmonton, Dallas, Boston, Colorado or Tampa Bay.

It doesn't bother me at all that the great teams might have the same chance at him as the crappy teams. And being the fan of a dead-average team I can honestly say I'm pretty reasonable about it. Just because you can't control your bias doesn't mean others can't.

DarthSather99 said:
All I can say is that no matter what the format. If a team wins the lottery and has been in the playoffs the last few years then the NHL will lose any fans that are currently on the fence about coming back to root for their teams, it will be the biggest joke in professional sports. The NHL better consider this draft and it's positional format very seriously. They are in grave danger of being extinct.

Why? it's been two years already. You think the Atlanta Thrasher's would have been a bad team last year? Look at a team like boston. They lost Rolston, they lost O'Donnell, they lost Nylander, Their going to lose Gonchar to free agency. But they were a good team two years ago. They should have just as good of a chance to get crosby as the NYR or Chicago Blackhawks.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Le Golie said:
:biglaugh:

My favourite team is as average as it gets, and I don't care one bit if Crosby goes to Florida, Nashville, Edmonton, Dallas, Boston, Colorado or Tampa Bay.

It doesn't bother me at all that the great teams might have the same chance at him as the crappy teams. And being the fan of a dead-average team I can honestly say I'm pretty reasonable about it. Just because you can't control your bias doesn't mean others can't.

LOL of course it doesnt bother u..now you have a greater chance of getting a top 10 pick. :biglaugh: (if this garbage rumor was true..which im 100% its not)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
FLYLine4LIFE said:
LOL of course it doesnt bother u..now you have a greater chance of getting a top 10 pick. :biglaugh: (if this garbage rumor was true..which im 100% its not)

Are you sure? I think the Isles would have a much better chance if the flawed '5 year weighted' system was used. Either way I don't care, the Isles wont get him and it doesn't bother me. It would be the greatest thing to happen to the franchise in years, but the Isles certainly don't deserve it any more than the Rangers, Penguins, Lightning or Red Wings.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Le Golie said:
Are you sure? I think the Isles would have a much better chance if the flawed '5 year weighted' system was used. Either way I don't care, the Isles wont get him and it doesn't bother me. It would be the greatest thing to happen to the franchise in years, but the Isles certainly don't deserve it any more than the Rangers, Penguins, Lightning or Red Wings.

Im talking more about a top 10 overall pick more then Crosby..like u..i know the Rangers wont get him...3.3% chance...6% chance..whatever....still extremely low....

SwOOsh*

The fairest way is to have 1 ball for each team. Is it the way I want it? Not really, I would rather the Capitals have a better shot but if you view it from other teams perspectives you get a better idea why it should be an equal oppurtunity situation. You can never tell what's really going to happen with a team... look at the Capitals in 2003-2004 with a good team on paper (well offense :P) finishing 3rd last overall.

MontrealCruiser_83*

I sense no bias at all from the people criticizing the 1 ball each system. :shakehead

Save your time and this site's bandwith, your whole victim spiel is falling on deaf ears.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
MontrealCruiser_83 said:
I sense no bias at all from the people criticizing the 1 ball each system. :shakehead

Save your time and this site's bandwith, your whole victim spiel is falling on deaf ears.

:bow: to one who clearly has no bias of his own and thus can lecture.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually the last linkable reporter with sources who commented on the draft says the opposite of this thread, posting only 6 hours ago:

Then there's the draft. It's likely all teams will be included in a weighted lottery, with the 2003-04 standings determining which teams have the best shot at the No. 1 pick. It's a major issue because there is an enormous prize at stake: Quebec phenom Sidney Crosby.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3686628

And yet we are to believe that no reporter got wind of the gospel rumor that forms the basis of this thread to put it to print. What a bunch of crap . . . .and has sprung up in this way several times over the past few months . . . never linked though days and days and weeks of posts go by in the thread

Last edited:

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
SwOOsh said:
The fairest way is to have 1 ball for each team. Is it the way I want it? Not really, I would rather the Capitals have a better shot but if you view it from other teams perspectives you get a better idea why it should be an equal oppurtunity situation. You can never tell what's really going to happen with a team... look at the Capitals in 2003-2004 with a good team on paper (well offense :P) finishing 3rd last overall.

well, that usually happens when your owner mandates a cut in salary. They purged their roster of all their high priced players. If the caps would, have played out the year they would have been much better.

MontrealCruiser_83*

Jaded-Fan said:
:bow: to one who clearly has no bias of his own and thus can lecture.
I'm a huge Montreal fan and I don't see how either system would give them a benefit in any way. In reality, all you pissed off fans are caring about yourselves. It's not only about the first overall pick. What about Montreal. Do you think I would be happy if we ended up with the 27th or 28th pick while a team like Detroit or Colorado gets lucky with a 9th or 10th overall. Not at all. But I'm willing to accept something like that for the simple oppurtunity at getting a top 15, top 10 or even 3 pick. Some of you guys should be spending your time thanking god that your team hasn't been contracted instead of trying to argue for every little morcel of things arguable.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Actually the last linkable reporter with sources who commented on the draft says the opposite of this thread, posting only 6 hours ago:

Then there's the draft. It's likely all teams will be included in a weighted lottery, with the 2003-04 standings determining which teams have the best shot at the No. 1 pick. It's a major issue because there is an enormous prize at stake: Quebec phenom Sidney Crosby.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3686628

And yet we are to believe that no reporter got wind of the gospel rumor that forms the basis of this thread to put it to print. What a bunch of crap . . . .and has sprung up in this way several times over the past few months . . . never linked though days and days and weeks of posts go by in the thread

Thank You Jaded fan for putting an end to this foolish thread. Finally a reliable source. May this thread RIP forever.

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
DarthSather99 said:
Thank You Jaded fan for putting an end to this foolish thread. Finally a reliable source. May this thread RIP forever.

ARe you kidding me? This reporter knows nothing more than anybody else. He was just assuming.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
With no season to base the standing on an equal chance for everyone isn't a bad idea. Or just changing the draft age to 19 would solve things, heh.

Hey the caps lucked out and go Ovechkin. I ain't complaining. Though I have a feeling they'll win the lottery again :yo: , heheh.

Though it would be hilarious to see the tears if one of the better teams in the NHL lands Crosby. I just hope he's in the Western conference if he's not on the caps. That would suck if he went to Tampa (no offence to 'Ling fans).

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
xander said:
i still don't understand why there must be a draft this year. There is nothing to base this years draft off of so why hold a draft at all? Holding a draft this year (whether based on weighted or 1 to 1 lottery) is just going to screw over alot of teams.

the reason is simple. two words, sidney crosby.

if crosby wasn't part of the draft class they would probably just raise the draft age (which rumor is they want to do anyway, and this is the perfect year to do that) pushing everyone back a year. but they want the unveiling of crosby as a big deal with the return of the nhl.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
fisher said:
As long as the Crosby draft still takes place in Ottawa, I'll be happy.

well if you didn't get the memo, they already decided that the draft won't be held in ottawa. they canceled all the draft events and now it is expected to be held in nyc (where the league offices are held) with the only question being do they go thru the whole draft thing with the podium and everything or just make it a conference call. (i'd think that they will want atleast the top picks going to the podium to have crosby on tv getting his new jersey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad