1/26/05 NHL & NHLPA labor talk Game Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Go Flames Go said:
They are trying to get the players to accept the cap in any form and they have resisted so far. Its looks terrible on the part of the NHL and NHLPA that they are not even meeting, so they just do this to share war stories.

:lol

You could of come up with a better reason than that... :shakehead

Look at your answer, read it over, think about what has transpired the last 1 week or so and tell me if that makes sense...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Go Flames Go said:
You guys are reading way to much into this. If its gonna get done(which I am 99.9% confident it wont), they will announce it.

You're the one reading way too much. I read between the lines.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
nomorekids said:
why couldn't they have done this in NOVEMBER? that's MY question :banghead:

Because teh players knew it wasn't the 11th hour like it is now, so they could remain firm on no cap to see if they could make the owners cave again. Now it is the 11th hour and they NEED to make a deal or risk losing out on apiece of the pie for this season. I bet the players were going to hold out till this point all along and I also be the owners resolve is stronger than the players and they will get the hard cap.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Decide for yourself

Eklund is reporting that they have reached "a deal in principle".

Hopefully if it's true, a more reputable source will pick up on it.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
handtrick said:
There is no doubt in my mind an agreement will be reached for this season relatively soon.

The framework is in place, or they wouldn't have gotten this intense.
I would consider daily meetings into the wee hours of the morn intense.
What they're doing now is what they should've been doing in july of 04 not the end of January 05.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Just got back from Class guys...what has happened in the past 3 hours? Is there any news comming out at all? Any progress with anything? Im skimming through stuff and it seems there no info...unless im missing it...anything out..or is the media being hush hush?

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
nomorekids said:
why couldn't they have done this in NOVEMBER? that's MY question :banghead:

Nothing happens in the labor relations negotiations until the absolute deadline.
They had to go through this phase of the lockout so Bettman & Owners and Players & Goodenow could have their "biggest Johnson" contest. Each side had to be softened up and see who had the real strength this CBA year. The course of events hasn't surprised me in the least so far.
If no agreement is reached to save the season, I would be EXTREMELY surprised.
Just my two cents.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Just got back from Class guys...what has happened in the past 3 hours? Is there any news comming out at all? Any progress with anything? Im skimming through stuff and it seems there no info...unless im missing it...anything out..or is the media being hush hush?

Everything is hush hush. I guess thats a good thing. I mean they are still meeting and it's almost 5 oclock

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
leaflover said:
I would consider daily meetings into the wee hours of the morn intense. QUOTE]

If they need it, that is what comes next. If a framework is already in place, they may not need the wee hour negotiations. No doubt there has been behind the scenes and back channel negotiations ever since the last week at the Chicago / Toronto meetings.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Chayos1 said:
Because teh players knew it wasn't the 11th hour like it is now, so they could remain firm on no cap to see if they could make the owners cave again. Now it is the 11th hour and they NEED to make a deal or risk losing out on apiece of the pie for this season. I bet the players were going to hold out till this point all along and I also be the owners resolve is stronger than the players and they will get the hard cap.

Which is why i'm so :banghead: at the players, they've known about the owners resolve for years, the owners have told the players that they'll be after cost certainty for years, the players simply thought they were bluffing, and were willing to sit out a good portion of the season to see if the owners would bluff, now that they haven't Linden calls these small focus groups meetings :madfire: that's why I laugh when people say Linden is a hero for getting both sides talking again, that's bull****, he just realized the owners weren't playing

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
handtrick said:
Nothing happens in the labor relations negotiations until the absolute deadline.
In a sense you're correct but the absolute deadline in labour negotiation is generally the end of a current CBA not 5 months later.The 11th hour was early september,this is more like high noon.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Leafer4Life said:
A deal in principle? Does that mean, that they think they've reached a deal, but need to vote on it or something? :dunno:

that or the rumored meeting place for todays Talks are infact inside the principle of the the Teachers Union who Owns the Leafs....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Leafer4Life said:
A deal in principle? Does that mean, that they think they've reached a deal, but need to vote on it or something? :dunno:

Probably just means that the big issues have been settled, the small stuff still needs to be hashed out, but due to the timeframes involved, a deal in principle has been reached to get the players over to North America and ready to play

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafer4Life said:

That means they've agreed to a deal, but it's not final yet, but the lockout would end while the fine points are completed.

Is anyone listening to the FAN 590 right now?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
417 TO MTL said:
Which is why i'm so :banghead: at the players, they've known about the owners resolve for years, the owners have told the players that they'll be after cost certainty for years, the players simply thought they were bluffing, and were willing to sit out a good portion of the season to see if the owners would bluff, now that they haven't Linden calls these small focus groups meetings :madfire: that's why I laugh when people say Linden is a hero for getting both sides talking again, that's bull****, he just realized the owners weren't playing

The owners didn't try yo hard to get the two sides together.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
leaflover said:
In a sense you're correct but the absolute deadline in labour negotiation is generally the end of a current CBA not 5 months later.The 11th hour was early september,this is more like high noon.

That was the first deadline [the end of the CBA], but with the war chests and the rhetoric, there was no way this lockout wasn't going to happen. The REAL 11th hour is right now, and both sides know it.

Don't underestimate the behind the scenes influences of NBC, Lemieux and Gretsky, and the playing conditions in Europe.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
go kim johnsson said:
That means they've agreed to a deal, but it's not final yet, but the lockout would end while the fine points are completed.

Yes.. it's like they're going out of their way NOT to talk hockey.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:

I am.
Not saying anything on there yet.They made a mock proposal to Maclean in Columbus for a laugh.Hope nobody took that seriously. :amazed:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
GregStack said:
The owners didn't try yo hard to get the two sides together.

Until the players acknowledge that the games needs some form of cost certainty (like they have in the last week) there was no point

Briannj1970

Jan 15, 2005
leaflover said:
I am.
Not saying anything on there yet.They made a mock proposal to Maclean in Columbus for a laugh.Hope nobody took that seriously. :amazed:

If you're talking about the 24% rollback, luxury tax at 40 mil and cap at 50 mil, then that's the actual rumored proposal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
leaflover said:
I am.

Howard Berger mentioned the rumor that was on Eklund's site, where one player would be designated as the franchise player.

He says that the best thing for hockey fans to hear, other than the announcement of a deal, is that no one will say anything and they will meet tomorrow

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
leaflover said:
What exactly did the players say about accepting cost certainty in the form of a hard cap?

They said they'd accept it after 3 years if the 24% rollback\luxury tax didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->