1/26/05 NHL & NHLPA labor talk Game Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zamboni

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
There will be contradicting reports to all of this, as scaredsensfan pointed out. Call me too optimistic, but I don't buy these negative reports at all. Niether side would be wasting their time at this stage just sticking to the extreme points. Also, If ground isn't being made and there is no optimism, why have a meeting tomorrow? In my opinion, these are just diversions to lure media/fanfare away while the sides make progress.

I'm not saying there will be a season and I still think it could go either way. I would not be surprised if the clock ran out, but I'd be shocked if they weren't making progress at this point.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Isn't this a thread for news. Who cares that calgary is a better team than edmonton?

I don't understand goflamesgo. He complains about the players being greedy than rubs it in the face of an oiler fan how much better the calgary players are than edmonton players. :dunno:

You can't have it both ways my friend.

Go Flames Go*

Being greedy and being a good player on the ice our two different things.

SPARTAKUS*

Hey Go Flames Go if the lockout last two season like you're sayin', the you can say goobye to our Flames. There's no way the Flames can miss two seasons and survive the lockout. I don't think the Fla,es are willing to take that chance. It's suicide.

Go Flames Go*

Hey its not like I want it to be 2 years, im just accepting the facts and the realization the players greed has made them so stubbourn. I could be wrong yuo never know. If it ends tommorow I will be happy, and go back to watching hockey, if it comes back in 2 years it might be the same. Its just from what I heard and read and listen to every person speaks negative about this process, and where it is headed.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Son of Steinbrenner said:
Isn't this a thread for news. Who cares that calgary is a better team than edmonton?

Not anyone thats looking for news about todays talks. Can we get this thread back on track without the Flame/Oiler fans pissing contest?

Go Flames Go*

^^ Can you stop complaining because the pissing war has stopped. Get back on topic now.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Hockeyfan02 said:
Not anyone thats looking for news about todays talks. Can we get this thread back on track without the Flame/Oiler fans pissing contest?
these pissing contests are typical of everybodys favorite flames fan. i just wish they would end.

Go Flames Go*

Can anyone get back to the topic and stop bringing up things that have been put aside?

I still have not gotten a answer about why people are so optomistic about a season? What leads you to belive that a mircale deal is in the works, and NHL hockey will be back next month.

Words like "No Progress", and so on sound promosing of a deal to be made? Or how about all the analysts talking about the NHL not budging on a hard cap. Until the players face reality and realize they are making a huge mistake there will be no season.

Go Flames Go*

Its not about winning or loosing. Its about getting the right deal so all teams can survive and all players can reatain there jobs. Teams like Nashville to be able to go out and get a high priced free agent without having to worry about Toronto jumping in and offering a player $2 million more then what he is worth.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Go Flames Go said:
Its not about winning or loosing. Its about getting the right deal so all teams can survive and all players can reatain there jobs. Teams like Nashville to be able to go out and get a high priced free agent without having to worry about Toronto jumping in and offering a player $2 million more then what he is worth.

Nobel cause and all but I'm sick of numbers and just want NHL Hockey back asap.

Go Flames Go*

SSJTOM said:
Nobel cause and all but I'm sick of numbers and just want NHL Hockey back asap.

What good is it to get it back asap and have Nashville come into town with AHL players, when you spend $100 to see a entertaning hockey game.

Would you rather see Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg as team mates against Scottie Upshall, or would it be more fun if two of the best players the NHL has ever seen playing against each other head to head.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Go Flames Go said:
What good is it to get it back asap and have Nashville come into town with AHL players, when you spend $100 to see a entertaning hockey game.

Would you rather see Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg as team mates against Scottie Upshall, or would it be more fun if two of the best players the NHL has ever seen playing against each other head to head.

I like to watch Nashville more than Colorado... :dunno:

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
Based on what I've been hearing through close contacts I've got, it looks 50/50, IMO. It's not as close as some people like to think and not as impossible as some like to think. The meeting was basically to discuss the hybrid luxury tax/cap system, but the real kicker for the players was the concept where teams had salary floors to encourage spending, yet iin return a player dispersal draft (as rumoured here before) which left them pessimistic. I can't really blame all those high n' mighty Leaf, Red Wing, Flyers and Avs players not wanting to be cap casualties for their team and subsequently being drafted by a team not of their choice. Unhappy players in locations they didn't choose to join is a bit counter-productive.

Some, like Go Flames Go, will said "Tough! Gary Roberts will go to Nashville whether he likes it or not and Brendan Shanahan will land in Phoenix." Go Flames Go might like this idea actually because it can bring a high-priced casualty or something to his team if their payroll is down low. First things first, the teams have to have their rosters signed and those UFA's will negotiate with whoever can afford them in the end. But the NHLPA then thought it over, and decided to see how they can work around a dispersal system so it's back to the table in New York tomorrow or Friday. But a wrinkle has been thrown in because Ted Saskin's mother's passing calls for a religious rite. Saskin, being Jewish, must convene with his family for 7 days. Not sure what the Jewish traditional name it is for this, but they obviously need him. Yet the NHL needs him to be there as well. I hope they don't decide to bring in Goodenow as his replacement!!! Just add in Mike Gartner. Anyway, Saksin can't really go to New York, it seems. So, they may have to reschedule things a little, change locations or just do without him for the next week.

Either way, it's progress that they didn't really take a step backward with this meeting because although there were some cap issues and the disperal thingy, the players have not given up their efforts to comprimise and likewise for the NHL. I really hope this thing can be worked out but it seems the players will have to accept this hybrid thing if they hope to get a season going. I just see it as a watershed moment that I believe in my heart can be figured out because as many reports have said, there is major pressure on both sides to get the deal done. I'm an optimist when it comes to these negotiation situations, but it is feasable that by next week we could see the talks degenerate into the armageddon, or a new CBA that will see the season (of 36-40 games) get going with the teams having a mere 2-3 weeks to prepare for what would certainly be a sloppy reg. season. Maybe shortening the first couple rounds to best-of-5 or making it more fair by adding 2 teams per conf. for the playoffs. My concept for this more wide open playoff:
3-10 (best of 5)
4-9
5-8
6-7
Bye: 1,2
Repool:
1-6 (best of 7)
2-5
3-4
Repool:
2-3 (best of 5)
Conf. finals >stanley cup finals as normal best of 7's

Anyway, take my rumours for what they are but it's been all secret stuff that it seems like most media outlets are having a tough time grasping. Eklund just seems to be bringing up concepts that have been discussed, but making his own wild conclusions to them. But don't be surprised if the New York plans are changed due to Saskin's predicament, THAT will become news worthy soon enough.

Go Flames Go*

^^ I do not suppourt a dispersal draft. I am in favour of a phase in period. Where did you get this info from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->