Kings Vision: 1/23/14 - Conan - Wayne Gretzky Interview

KingsVision

Jun 24, 2009
[nhl]546092[/nhl]

Hockey Legend Wayne Gretzky stopped by Conan to talk about his hockey career, how the game has changed since his retirement and the Stadium Series game.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The thing I found interesting was Wayne saying it came down to two or three teams that he could have been traded to in 1988. I always thought it was just LA in the picture, who else was involved?

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
Haha at the Coors Light part :laugh:

The thing I found interesting was Wayne saying it came down to two or three teams that he could have been traded to in 1988. I always thought it was just LA in the picture, who else was involved?

I think Vancouver was in the mix. Not sure about other teams.

scryan

May 1, 2013
yeah watching Kings Ransom they made it seem like there was almost no way he could be traded the GM's offered a ton of money, then Wayne sat in on the speaker phone call and heard his GM talk about trading him...

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, i watched that Kings Ransom. He was sitting in McNall's office, that's why it didn't really shock me. Him stating other teams were in the bidding really flies in the face of the way McNall told the story.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

totally unverified but I thought Detroit was in the mix too.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Off the top of my head, Wayne admitted that he thought he'd actually be going to Detroit (that might have been on the Gretzky DVD that was released 10+ years ago).

Happened to meet Gretzky in 2007 while in Vegas. He was gracious and talked to us for a few minutes. I did my spiel about how I was one of the California kids that he converted into hockey. He then made fun of me for wearing a Devils shirt.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Off the top of my head, Wayne admitted that he thought he'd actually be going to Detroit (that might have been on the Gretzky DVD that was released 10+ years ago).

Happened to meet Gretzky in 2007 while in Vegas. He was gracious and talked to us for a few minutes. I did my spiel about how I was one of the California kids that he converted into hockey. He then made fun of me for wearing a Devils shirt.

Lol, "Mickey Mouse organization" :laugh:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...oRUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=C48DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4350,4965221

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I think Vancouver was in the mix. Not sure about other teams.

here is a story on pre-trade Gretzky talk,

"Bob McCammon, who was coach of the Vancouver Canucks at the time, had a question:

“Have you heard about Gretzky?”
“What about him?”
“The Oilers are trying to deal him,” McCammon said.
“Yeah, Bob, sure they are.”
”I’m not kidding,” McCammon insisted. “(Edmonton owner Peter) Pocklington has offered him to Los Angeles. He’s also offered him to us — $15-million (U.S.) and five first-round draft choices if the Kings want him. He wants $22-million and five first-round choices from Vancouver.”
“You’re making me nervous,” McCammon was told.
“I’m telling you … it’s going down,” he said. “I don’t know where he’s going, but Gretzky’s going. Ask Glen.”

Jay Greenberg, a bright hockey writer who was with Sports Illustrated at the time, had joined us in time to catch the end of our conversation.

“Any chance of that happening?” he asked, after McCammon had left.
“Bob gets a kick out of throwing around stuff like that,” Greenberg was told. “If the Oilers deal Gretzky, Pocklington gets lynched. I don’t think I’d even want to ask Sather the question.”

The story goes on at:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/01/26/gretzky-trade-the-scoop-that-got-away/

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad