07 Mock Draft

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Alzner is probably at the same level Bourdon was when he was drafted. Luc had some injury troubles and Alzner is a little bit safer so I could see him being able to play on a weak defense next season. The Oiles have a weak defense, but I still don't think he'd crack to top 6 ahead of Smith, Staios, Grebeshkov, Gilbert, Greene and Smid. I think he could have a chance of cracking the Caps or Jackets though.

I wouldn't worry about that, if he is the best player available when edmonton is up, take him. he will be one of the top dmen, for our 08 WJC team, and adding him will be a nice addition. then with your other two picks, you can take whom ever is on the board.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Alzner is probably at the same level Bourdon was when he was drafted. Luc had some injury troubles and Alzner is a little bit safer so I could see him being able to play on a weak defense next season. The Oiles have a weak defense, but I still don't think he'd crack to top 6 ahead of Smith, Staios, Grebeshkov, Gilbert, Greene and Smid. I think he could have a chance of cracking the Caps or Jackets though.

The company line for the Caps is to improve the defense with an addition or two in the offseason.

The problem the Caps have right now is they have about 5-6 guys who they figure can be a part of a NHL defensive blue line, but they're all mostly under 23-24 years of age. They need players with experience if they're ever going to get better. If the Caps drop in the lottery (or go crazy and win the last few games) then I would expect they'd take Alzner if he is the BPA on the board. but put up against Cherepanov/Turris and a few others, I think the Caps would rather have the forward. that's considering Morrisonn/ Jurcina/Eminger /Green/Schultz in the NHL right now, and then Finley/Pokuluk /Hunt/Dovgan and a few others all coming down the pipelines or in the NHL now.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

Alzner is a much smarter player than Bourdon. He's just dynamite at reading the defensive play and rarely makes mistakes; the same cannot be said about Luc.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
NHL ready, and ready to shoulder the load as a top 2 or 3 defenseman in the NHL are different things.

I haven't seen him, so who knows... but I'd have to say that taking a defenseman who might or might not be a top player right away versus a forward who could definitely have an impact in a year or two (if not this year) is an easy choice.

What forward would that be in this draft? I highly doubt Kane makes the transition to the NHL level as an impact player right away. Chrepy, who knows about the transfer, and he would probably be better off(not to mention happier) in the RSL for the next two developing. Turris is going to Wisconsin for at least two years. Riemer is going to UNH. Couture is a good player, but not NHL ready either.

I mean seriously, this is not a really strong draft class. It's rare enough in a good class to have guys step right in and become impact players, and IMO a lot of these guys still need a lot of work.

Alzner could step in next season and play a number 4,5,6 role without any problem. And in two years time he should be 2/3/4

Alison

Sep 7, 2005
sudbury
Except at 29th I would say Aliu to the Caps.
For some reason even with all the problems his stock keeps going up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad