05-06 World Junior Favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
as far as forwards go do any of you think that dane byers has an outside chance at cracking team canada as a 4th liner /penalty killer /role player ??? he has had a breakthrough year and is playing extremly disciplined i think he could be a sutter type player (hardworking grinder) who could play a similiar role as clarke mcarther and colin fraser played last year ? thoughts ?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Hockeycanada said:
In any other year I would say that the US is the favourite, but this year, in Vancouver, Canada will also be in contention for the gold.

How many World Juniors has the US won in the past 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, ever? If I am not mistaken... the US has only EVER won the tournament ONCE in its entire history, and have only medalled 4 times. Those medals are: Bronze in 1986, Bronze in 1992, Silver in 1997, and Gold in 2004.

Well... I can only assume they are the favourites that choke every other year. Funny how the underdogs of Russia with 30 medals and Canada with 25 medals seem to beat out the favourites "any other year".

I mean HOLY CRAP, Canada will be IN CONTENTION for gold this year... and thats a once in a lifetime occurance :sarcasm: :(

Hockeycanada*

Slitty said:
How many World Juniors has the US won in the past 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, ever? If I am not mistaken... the US has only EVER won the tournament ONCE in its entire history, and have only medalled 4 times. Those medals are: Bronze in 1986, Bronze in 1992, Silver in 1997, and Gold in 2004.

Well... I can only assume they are the favourites that choke every other year. Funny how the underdogs of Russia with 30 medals and Canada with 25 medals seem to beat out the favourites "any other year".

I mean HOLY CRAP, Canada will be IN CONTENTION for gold this year... and thats a once in a lifetime occurance :sarcasm: :(
Yes, the Americans have only won a gold once, and they really got lucky(remember Fleury shooting the puck off Coburn's rear end? :cry: ) that year. The reason the Americans could be considered the favourites this year is because this is one of the best young group of American prospects the country has ever seen.

You can easily tell from my name that I am not an American hockey supporter by any means. I shouldn't have said Canada will be in "ontention", rather that they will be strong contenders.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Not exactly, you said you wall call the Americans the favourites any year other than this one.

You also said that Canada will be a contender for gold this year in a way that implied they arent contenders for gold in others years.

The US is one of a few contenders THIS YEAR in my opinion:

Canada
Russia
US
Finland

could all take it.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Slitty said:
Not exactly, you said you wall call the Americans the favourites any year other than this one.

You're misinterpreting him. When he says "in any other year", he means that the strength of this year's US team would make them the favourites "in any other year" except this one, because Russia and Canada have particularly strong teams this year.

Which doesn't really make sense, considering Canada has had much stronger teams in the past, ie, last year.

Hockeycanada*

Injektilo said:
You're misinterpreting him. When he says "in any other year", he means that the strength of this year's US team would make them the favourites "in any other year" except this one, because Russia and Canada have particularly strong teams this year.
:jump:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Slitty said:

How many times has Canada been the favorite in the Olympics in the last 50 years or so???? And only one gold medal??? GASP!!!! Do us all a favor and think next time please. :shakehead

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Mobey said:
How many times has Canada been the favorite in the Olympics in the last 50 years or so???? And only one gold medal??? GASP!!!! Do us all a favor and think next time please. :shakehead

I would say they have been the favs twice and won gold once. Not a bad average!

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Mobey said:

Yes... I think I will have to do the thinking for both of us, as you are clearly unacapable of thinking on your own.

A more viable question is how many time has Russia/Soviet Union been the favourite at the Olympics in the past 50 years. The answer to that is that they have been favourites 10 times, and won gold 8 out of those 10 times.

Was Canada a clear cut favourite in 98' BTW? I know everyone was dissapointed that they didnt get a medal, naturally... but would a silver or bronze have been a tradgedy?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Slitty said:
Was Canada a clear cut favourite in 98' BTW? I know everyone was dissapointed that they didnt get a medal, naturally... but would a silver or bronze have been a tradgedy?

You lose any credibility with that statement in regards to Canadian hockey....

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Mobey said:
You lose any credibility with that statement in regards to Canadian hockey....

Sorry that I have to respond to this nonesense everyone :shakehead

Now dear Mobey, do I really need to point out where you lost your credibility, even in making assertations that I have made my credibility? I gather you're not the brightest crayon in the box, but c'mon little buddy, I believe in you, with a little effort and a dilligent night over a pot of coffee... and Im sure you can figure it out just like the rest of us.

As for me asking a question, yeah, I would likely to know Canadian people's opinions on whether they would have been upset if they won the silver or bronze as opposed to nothing. If being interested means I lose my credibility, so be it. :dunno:

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Mobey said:

Talk about not thinking. :shakehead

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Slitty said:
yeah, I would likely to know Canadian people's opinions on whether they would have been upset if they won the silver or bronze as opposed to nothing. If being interested means I lose my credibility, so be it. :dunno:

as a huge fan of Canadian hockey.... silver, bronze and nothing mean about the same to me in the end.

That's just for best on best championships though, so things like the under 18 world championships, I don't take a silver medal there too personally. Even for the World Junior Championships, Canada usually doesn't usually have the best available players.

But for things like the Olympics or World/Canada Cup, silver doesn't mean much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad