04 vs 05(top 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Pepper said:
The guy is 6'1 and Pronger is 6'5, that alone makes the comparison invalid as Pronger's size is one of the major component of his play.
Johnson is 6'1 at the age of 17. It isn't out of ordinary for someone his age to gain an inch or two along the way. If he fills out at around 6'3 then those two extra inches aren't a huge deal.

Am I saying he will be the next Pronger? Nope, I've never seen him play. But lets remember he is 17 and has some filling out to do.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
BobMarleyNYR said:
Johnson is better than Barker, hands down. Barker is a terrific defenseman, but there are some questions about his play. Johnson is amazing... I think of him as the next Pronger, and I'd go so far as to say he's better at 17? 18? than Scott Stevens was in his first couple seasons.

It would take a lot for Johnson to make the impact that Stevens had in his first few seasons. At 18 Stevens was a regular for the Caps and put up 25 points his rookie year along with nearly 200pims. His 2 and 3rd years he showed dramatic leaps and got 45 and 65 points. Granted it was a different era, but I think people forget that Stevens used to put up big numbers along with being one of the best hitters in the league.

I'm not putting down Johnson, he'll probably be a great dman, but to say he's better at his age than Stevens was, I don't see it. He still needs to fill out his frame. If he were to step in next year and play a regular role like Stevens did, maybe the comparison can be made, but right now, I don't see him being better than Stevens at the same age.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
Johnson is 6'1 at the age of 17. It isn't out of ordinary for someone his age to gain an inch or two along the way. If he fills out at around 6'3 then those two extra inches aren't a huge deal.

Am I saying he will be the next Pronger? Nope, I've never seen him play. But lets remember he is 17 and has some filling out to do.

Johnson will be max 6'2 and there's a chance he's won't grow at all anymore, most people reach their max height at the age 17-18

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Yeah, I've only seen about 5 or 6 '05 kids this year... I do think Johnson is pretty good. Talentwise, I'm saying he could be a Pronger-like defenseman... comparisons don't necessarily account for everything, like size in this case, I guess.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Last years.

Ovechkin = Crosby . . . and Malkin is almost up there too
Brule
Barker < Johnson

From the Pens board (thanks Jacobv2) Malkin is only .1 behind AO in scoring when you average the games played in a very pumped up Russian Super league. And is a year behind AO in development. So Malkin at the very least is up there in a stratosphere above those like Brule, Barker and Johnson.

Two potential Superstars players came last year. Most are not even sure who to take between Johnson and Brule leaving Crosby as the lone likely superstar of that year. Does that mean that Brule or Johnson could not in the end become much better players than AO, Crosby and Malkin combined? Not at all, these things need to play out. But judging now it is not even close. Bunch those all together and it would look like this:

Crosby (based purely on Marketability)
AO
Malkin

Brule, Johnson and Barker.

Last edited:

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
Well that is a stupid claim. Its not like Johnson is a 19 year old and didn't make it. He is 17 and they didn't let him on the team, something alot of people seem puzzled at. I wouldn't get that worked up over it. Johnson has two more years to make the World Junior team.

I mean, Brule didn't make team Canada. :)

Yes Brule didn't make Team Canada World Juniors because he was never invited. However Brule has as many goals as Getzlaf and Ladd combined. Getzlaf outperformed almost everyone including Crosby in the World Juniors and has trouble averaging a point a game in the WHL. Brule is blowing away Getzlaf and Ladd in the WHL. Brule also has more points than Dawes. In short Brule is pretty good and can play at the World Junior Level anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad