04 vs 05 - Barker vs Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
I already started a poll on these two. But which defensemen would you rather have on your team. I realize they are different players, but both were taken 3rd overall in their respective draft years. Also, who do you feel has the better offensive upside?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Chuckalinsky said:
Any reasons or just personal opinion?

Barker has all the tools, dont get me wrong. I think to most, its a matter of his intensity. He doesn't always bring his A game to the rink. Johnson, at least from what i've seen has the same skills(if not better) but brings it every night.

Both will be #2/3 d-men in the NHL...at least.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Johnson needs prove himself on much higher level before we can really make comparisons, currently Barker is much more proven & thus has more value.

Having said that, I'd preferred to see Ducks pick Johnson instead of Ryan.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I would take johnson ahead of Barker any day of the week.
Barker is a very good offensive d-man, maybe better than JJ, but he lacks the physical play and defensively he's not as good as Johnson.

While I see Johnson as a franchise d-man, Barker is more a power play quarterback.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Let's not forget that Barker had a bout with Mono that pretty much screwed his entire 2nd half of the season. Offensively, I can't imagine that Johnson is much (much,much,much) better than Barker. Actually, I'm not sure what that means.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Jack Johnson: 6 ft 190lbs

Tell me, how many dominating defensive defensmen do you know that are pushing 6'?

Could he still grow? yep. But we aren't talking about a young Pronger here. we aren't even talking about a young Phaneuf- who has a NHL dman body.

What about Barker? Mr "no motivation". He's a legit 6'3" 213 lbs.

With Mono he posted these numbers:

2004-2005 52 15 33 48 99

Oh but he sucked in the playoffs, right?

2004-2005 12 3 3 6 16

So let's see...

More size: ?
More scoring ?
Better Skater ?
Best shot ?
Oh who's better at moving the puck ?

yes... Johnson is "very very very" easily above barker... :shakehead

I haven't seen that much of Johnson. What I saw, I liked. I'm not denigrating the kid. As an American I want him to be the Future Chelios that he may become.

But I really don't see how people can just throw out how he is easily a better prospect than a defensmen who has NHL size/wheels/shot, who was nearly a ppg in the WHL, and .5 ppg in the playoffs.

-fullmetalninja

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Defensively Johnson IMO will become a poor man's Konstantinov (his idol growing up), Offensively I believe he'll be even better than Vladdy.

Therefore, JJ easily.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I might be biased, but I'd take Johnson. He's a bit smaller 6'1, 201 compared to 6'3 213 but he definitely makes up for it in edge. Growing another inch and adding 10 pounds or more isn't out of the question by any meens. This is like comparing a young Chris Chelios to a young Brian Leetch IMO, both are players you'd love to build a team around.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DaveG said:
I might be biased, but I'd take Johnson. He's a bit smaller 6'1, 201 compared to 6'3 213 but he definitely makes up for it in edge. Growing another inch and adding 10 pounds or more isn't out of the question by any meens. This is like comparing a young Chris Chelios to a young Brian Leetch IMO, both are players you'd love to build a team around.

Intensity and physical play is what seperates Johnson from Barker, and those differances IMO will make Johnson the better pro.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Im a huge Cam Barker fan... I was skeptical of his role with Canada at the WJHC but when he was in the line up he played exceptional and it's too bad he had mono or else the second half of the year may have been the eye opener people need to realize this kid is a stud on the blue line.

Personally I feel Jack Johnson is going to be a pretty good defenceman I just think Barker is a safer bet. Both will be top pairing D in their careers.. If I had a choice though right now I'd pick Barker just because I believe he has more offensive upside while not giving up too much on the defensive end. If I was looking for a greater competitor and physical dman Johnson would be my choice.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Intensity and physical play is what seperates Johnson from Barker, and those differances IMO will make Johnson the better pro.

Like I said, Johnson will have to prove himself at much higher level to really measure his skills & physical play.

He can definetly be the better of the two but so far we have way too little information to make the call.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
Like I said, Johnson will have to prove himself at much higher level to really measure his skills & physical play.

He can definetly be the better of the two but so far we have way too little information to make the call.

Agreed.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
At this point my feeling is that Barker will be the better offensive player while JJ will be the better all around defender. Like RR said, his intensity really helps to set him apart.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Matt MacInnis said:
At this point my feeling is that Barker will be the better offensive player while JJ will be the better all around defender. Like RR said, his intensity really helps to set him apart.

As much as I like Johnson, I think some people are selling Barker a bit short here. He's no banger, but he does have elite offensive abilities and projectible size. I think he'll be a very good NHL player, just not the type to take the bull by the horns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->