'04 ccm 852's vs. '06 892's?

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
NEW QUESTION, LOOK DOWN TO POST # 12. they sold out of 892s so I'm wondering '04 852's vs 06 692's

I need new skates. I have the '04 852's right now, but they're beat beyond belief. I'm trying to decide between another pair of the 852's

hockeymonkey_1932_87557270

# Features: CCM® F-I-T-SYSTEM® combines heat and pressure for a "gapless" customized fit
# Pro molded anatomical ankle support delivers the required support and eliminates breakdown
# Pro comfort plus foams immediately form to the ankles eliminating break-in
# Integrated Lace Bite Protector evenly distributes lace pressure and anatomical felt tongue with TACKS® binding stays in place and provides a comfortable fit
# NYTEK H20 lining produces a great combination of comfort and moisture reduction
# SP7 ballistic nylon quarters provide increased lateral stiffness and abrasion resistance
# WEARFORCE side vamping and toe covering for improved abrasion and cut resistance
# MICROTEX trims maximize abrasion resistance and long term durability
# SP2 ballistic toe tip for improved abrasion and cut resistance
# CCM F-I-T SYSTEM footbed provides excellent fit and comfort
# Lightweight fiberglass composite outsole increases energy transfer
# PROLITE 3 blade holder
# PROFORMANCE PROFILE STAINLESS steel runner yields the optimum combination of speed, agility and stability

and the new 892's :

hockeymonkey_1932_11216602

* F-I-T-SYSTEM - CCM F-I-T-SYSTEM combines heat and pressure for a "gapless" customized fit
* Lateral Support - Pro molded anatomical ankle support delivers required support and eliminates breakdown
* Ankle Pads - Pro comfort foams immediately form to the ankles eliminating break-in
* Tongue - COMFORT FLEX tongue features lightweight high-density molded foam "saddle" lace-bite guard combined with thick felt covers full length of foot for maximum comfort and protection
* Liner - NYTEK H20 lining combines comfort and moisture management
* Quarter Package - MAX ARMOUR applied to ballistic nylon package improves protection and durability
* Vamping - WEARFORCE maximizes abrasion and cut resistance
* Trims - MICROTEX brushed leather grain trims deliver abrasion resistance and durability
* Footbed - H20 CONTROL footbed provides excellent fit, comfort and moisture management perforations
* Outsole - Low profile overmolded black composite perforated outsole reduces mass, increases energy transfer and delivers on durability
* Holder - CCM E-BLADE PRO blade holder maximizes energy transfer and features replaceable runner attachment
* Runner - PROformance Stainless runner delivers long lating edge and excellent glide

They're only $55 difference, but I'm a poor college student, and if there isn't a difference thats worth $55, id rather just save the money.

anyone have any input?

Last edited:

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Virtually no difference between the two skates. Having worked in a pro-shop for a few years no, I would bet my paycheck that blindfolded you'd never know the difference between them if you wore one over the other on the ice. If you like what you had, stick with that.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
The new holder was the only thing I was going to mention, but... if he likes what he's been skating on, I don't see any point in changing it. The difference isn't that dramatic and judging by what he's said about his old pair, they lasted him quite a while.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
but considering how used to them he is you don't think he'd notice even a slight difference... like a lace lock for example?

bottomline they are an upgrade and more than likely he'll be more than happy with them.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Unless he has a desire to change his runner and such (or he isn't skating on the original runners from his 852's to begin with) then I don't see anything of merit being upgraded. Paying $55 for lace-locks isn't exactly economic. You're right in saying they are an upgrade, but a mild one, and not one you're likely to notice once you're on the ice. If money is really an issue, save the cash and stick with a new pair of what you've been skating in.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I personally thing that just the upgraded holders and lace lock is worth the extra money, not to mention the look of the skate is much better.

I also think the skate is stiffer, not sure if you'd notice the new toecap or new tongue but they're also different. I also thought that the inner padding around the ankles was thicker but I haven't seen those in a while.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
I personally thing that just the upgraded holders and lace lock is worth the extra money, not to mention the look of the skate is much better.

I also think the skate is stiffer, not sure if you'd notice the new toecap or new tongue but they're also different. I also thought that the inner padding around the ankles was thicker but I haven't seen those in a while.

Yeah, I just got a pair of 892's for Christmas and love them. They have been pretty stiff and the ankle padding is quite thick.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Off the shelf, I can't tell the difference in ankle padding, but I liked the old look better, as well as the old toe-cap. The tongue is different, but not noticeably so... it will come down to whether or not the OP wants to spend the extra $55. There are enough differences to justify it, I suppose, but eyes closed and skates laced, I doubt any of them are really significant.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I would agree for the most part, but it all depends on the person. Most wouldn't notice, I would... but then again I would have also laced it up myself and used the lace lock to make sure that my laces were loose down low and tight up top too which is a pain in the ass if you don't have a lace lock or waxed laces(which don't work for me because I like it really loose down low and really tight up high).

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
The 852's will meet your needs and save you some money. That pretty much say it all.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
OK NEW QUESTION:

they sold out of the 892s.

should I get 06 652's over the 04 852's? I'm guessing the 852's are probably a better way to go...

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I just didn't know if there was any advantage to the new chassis

during the break between the 2nd and 3rd periods of the atlanta/buffalo game i went online and bought the 852's. im playing forward tomorrow, and looking forward to the last, or one of the last times, getting nasty blisters on my heel. holla!

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
hahaha all right! yea i did get them from hockey monkey. crazy deals on there.

i know at a shop they do that steam heat thing, what if you don't have that option? hairdryer?

I need to do that to my goalie skates too, I got a new pair of Pro Tacks i have only worn a couple times

i tried to get the 892's this afternoon but they were already sold out. oh well, not a big deal to get the 852s again

also what should the blades be torqued to?

Methane

Jan 14, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
kinnee.net
Great skate is the local shop, and I believe they charge $50 per pair if you don't buy from them

Another great point as to why it's better to buy from your local store. You saved some cash online, but now a service they'd probably perform for free is $50 which I bet makes them more expensive than if you just bought them locally.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I went there yesterday, they have no CCM's in sz 8. the only grafs they have that fit me are too narrow. even if i wanted to buy the 892's from them for $200 (yes, you read that right, $200) more than they were listed at hm, they dont have them in my size. they dont even have the $480 pro tacks in my size. so I got 852s for $125 online.

they will not be getting in any more skates until they get their '07 shipment. Also, they cannot get any more 892's, as ccm is doing something different for '07.

but, in the past month, I have bought from them; Nike bauer 4500 helmet, cage, easton jock shorts, mouthguard, nike bauer one piece composite vapor VIII, and prob some other misc crap. not to mention 3 sherwood goalie sticks came from there.

As for my goalie gear, my chest/arm, the ccm 452's ive had for the past 8 years, pants, helmet, sticks, cup, catch glove, and dangler are all from Don Simmons right over the boarder. only reason i didn't get my new goalie Pro Tacks from there is they didn't have the Graf 750s in my size

i support my local shop, but sometimes they dont have what I need, so i go online.

Methane

Jan 14, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
kinnee.net
I went there yesterday, they have no CCM's in sz 8. the only grafs they have that fit me are too narrow. even if i wanted to buy the 892's from them for $200 (yes, you read that right, $200) more than they were listed at hm, they dont have them in my size. they dont even have the $480 pro tacks in my size. so I got 852s for $125 online.

they will not be getting in any more skates until they get their '07 shipment. Also, they cannot get any more 892's, as ccm is doing something different for '07.

but, in the past month, I have bought from them; Nike bauer 4500 helmet, cage, easton jock shorts, mouthguard, nike bauer one piece composite vapor VIII, and prob some other misc crap. not to mention 3 sherwood goalie sticks came from there.

As for my goalie gear, my chest/arm, the ccm 452's ive had for the past 8 years, pants, helmet, sticks, cup, catch glove, and dangler are all from Don Simmons right over the boarder. only reason i didn't get my new goalie Pro Tacks from there is they didn't have the Graf 750s in my size

i support my local shop, but sometimes they dont have what I need, so i go online.

Quite understandable. As for stock issues we have had two tournaments locally in the past two months, the local shops are well picked over.

It's just a pet peeve of mine to see people do SO much online shopping when there is a shop close where they can go and touch, feel and interact with the gear. Not to mention build a relationship with the guys in the shop which tends to get you good deals and extras thrown in.

fullmetal2405

Feb 3, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
yeah, I hate how the closest shop to me involves getting on the highway and driving about 45 minutes. :( Though surprisingly enough, they seem to have better deals than online stores. Got my RBK 5K goalie skates for $250. Lowest price I've seen online is $290. :dunno:

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Another great point as to why it's better to buy from your local store. You saved some cash online, but now a service they'd probably perform for free is $50 which I bet makes them more expensive than if you just bought them locally.

Got my skates from Hockey Monkey and got them baked at a local shop for 5 bucks. The other shop was 15. Not sure what the difference is between the 5 -15 dollar bake opposed to a 50. I'm almost sure not much.....

Methane

Jan 14, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
kinnee.net
Got my skates from Hockey Monkey and got them baked at a local shop for 5 bucks. The other shop was 15. Not sure what the difference is between the 5 -15 dollar bake opposed to a 50. I'm almost sure not much.....

I don't see how you can charge $50 for a bake. That's just Pejorative Slured and my point still stands. There are other intangibles for purchasing from you LHS. Things like better deals later on, support if something goes wrong with the product, etc.

Then again this isn't the point of the thread, but it's a peeve.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
yea, I spend a good amount of money at my local shop, sometimes I have to seek alternative means though.

with Great Skate it's tough. They are the only shop in Buffalo, and they also have a nation wide catalogue. With that in mind, they don't have to stay competitive with prices, and they don't offer deals because hey, who cares, the crap will sell on their website anyway.

they have such a high turnover of employees because they don't treat them well. So there are always a number of guys who don't have much experience yet. I personally have 5 friends who either work there now or have in the past, and they all hate it.

as far as goalie gear goes though, the guys up at Don Simmons have always treated me well, and I do the same by giving them thousands of dollars of business (goalie gear is expensive!). they catch some flak on the goalie forums, but they treat me well so I return that.

I just wish someone could bake my skates. And profile them. noone locally does profiling

maybe in the off season I'll try and get in touch with the Sabres equipment manager. Ryan Miller and Paul Gaustad live right around the corner from me, and Miller just bought a condo right around the corner from my parents.

both his and gaustads apartment, and millers new condo, are in the heart of the city, which is good to see. Pro athletes usually stick to the burbs around here.

edit: it also kinda sucks that there are NO shops in the city. Great skate is out in amherst, which is a good 25 minutes from my apartment, out in the middle of the burbs. Between college and work, I have to plan my day around getting my skates sharpened lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad