03-04 Avs/Roy's Retirement After 03

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Hi guys/gals

Kind of a "joint" post/question I have. I remember hearing Roy started getting arthritic hips toward the end of his career....was it known in "close circles" 2002-2003 was going to be his last hurrah? I ask because I think of the 03-04 squad, getting Kariya, getting Selanne, did management (maybe Pierre Lacroix if he's still there at this point? Or maybe it is Francois Giguere by now?) ask Roy to see if he could come back for one more season in 03-04 because of the big off-season moves? Or did his body make him call it a career come heck or high water? Look forward to hearing the scoops from my fellow fans *thumbs up*

P.S. I'd also like to learn/know if there were other injury problems that made Roy hang it up you guys may know about. Thanks!

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I think people had noticed that Roy didn't play very well in the second of back to back games. So it actually wouldn't have been surprising if Roy had decided to hang up the skates at the end of the season. I don't remember the Avs asking Roy to come back after signing Kariya and Selanne. I think a lot of people were speculating that might happen but Roy shot those thoughts down pretty quickly. I think by that time everyone was settling on Aebischer already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->