Boston Bruins 火熊熊將在2018年O.R.G. NHL中國運動會

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I went to Japan quite a few years ago when I was in high school....99% sure I connected from Washington both ways. This was in the days before tablets and phones and any sort of in-seat entertainment, so I listened the hell out of my CDs. Heck, I seem to recall there even being empty seats on the flight - a miracle nowadays!

I don't recall the jet lag going over being bad for me at all, and I know I didn't sleep on the plane ride, because I'm a fussy sleeper. But it hit me like a ton of bricks coming back....the only time I've ever slept on an airplane was on the flight from DC to Logan in the middle of the day.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I went to Japan quite a few years ago when I was in high school....99% sure I connected from Washington both ways. This was in the days before tablets and phones and any sort of in-seat entertainment, so I listened the hell out of my CDs. Heck, I seem to recall there even being empty seats on the flight - a miracle nowadays!

I don't recall the jet lag going over being bad for me at all, and I know I didn't sleep on the plane ride, because I'm a fussy sleeper. But it hit me like a ton of bricks coming back....the only time I've ever slept on an airplane was on the flight from DC to Logan in the middle of the day.

Likewise - long flights eastbound just take it out of you.

A guy I work with recently took a flight from Sydney to Dallas....took him over a week to bounce back.

Qantas (QF) #7 ✈ 24-May-2018 ✈ SYD / YSSY - KDFW ✈ FlightAware

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

On all of my trips to Asia, I've never had much jet lag going west. I'd do weird things like wake up at 3 a.m. every night (or 3-4 p.m. EST), or have the urge to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon for a couple of days, but I'd get pretty normal pretty quick. The first day after coming back home, I woke up and felt like I had the worst hangover of my life ... and I hadn't had a drink in years. It took at least a week to get back to normal.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The "Goodwill" trip has begun. I rarely fly, but that's an interesting seating arrangement...

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is why

banner03_05.gif

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I wish I had those seats when I went over to Manila.

These are what you get in 1st class or business class

Beijing is almost 13 hours in the air from Logan. The plane flies over Svalbard which a Norwegian archipelago between mainland Norway and the North Pole. One of the world’s northernmost inhabited areas, it's known for its rugged, remote terrain of glaciers and frozen tundra sheltering polar bears, Svalbard reindeer and Arctic foxes. The Northern Lights are visible during winter, and summer brings the “midnight sun”—sunlight 24 hours a day.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Beijing is almost 13 hours in the air from Logan. The plane flies over Svalbard which a Norwegian archipelago between mainland Norway and the North Pole. One of the world’s northernmost inhabited areas, it's known for its rugged, remote terrain of glaciers and frozen tundra sheltering polar bears, Svalbard reindeer and Arctic foxes. The Northern Lights are visible during winter, and summer brings the “midnight sun”—sunlight 24 hours a day.

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Interesting.

I’m not sure I could handle 24 hours of sunlight.

Reactions: Fenway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
It's a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong flight

View attachment 130095

This blew my mind, since I figured flying west would be faster, and I was 99% sure I flew west going to Japan. From peeking on FlightAware, it turns out I was right - Washington to Tokyo's a west-bound flight. I guess Japan's not as "right off the coast" of China as I thought, duh.

I had no idea Kuraly had a twin. Hope they have fun and soak everything in - international travel can really open you up to so many new experiences. Yes, I know Heinen's Canadian, and they both travel back-and-forth between the US and Canada, but as my dad once said, "I don't consider going to Canada international travel." (Which is why he had to hop a red eye from New York to Boston and back again one time to get his passport for a cruise. Oops.)

I wonder if they'll go back for the pre-season games...it wouldn't surprise me, as it's in a couple of months. It's nice that they do this "goodwill" stuff - hopefully it gets them some goodwill from the front office, and gets them out of signing buckets of pucks and doing the "behave in the arena" promos.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This blew my mind, since I figured flying west would be faster, and I was 99% sure I flew west going to Japan. From peeking on FlightAware, it turns out I was right - Washington to Tokyo's a west-bound flight. I guess Japan's not as "right off the coast" of China as I thought, duh.

I had no idea Kuraly had a twin. Hope they have fun and soak everything in - international travel can really open you up to so many new experiences. Yes, I know Heinen's Canadian, and they both travel back-and-forth between the US and Canada, but as my dad once said, "I don't consider going to Canada international travel." (Which is why he had to hop a red eye from New York to Boston and back again one time to get his passport for a cruise. Oops.)

I wonder if they'll go back for the pre-season games...it wouldn't surprise me, as it's in a couple of months. It's nice that they do this "goodwill" stuff - hopefully it gets them some goodwill from the front office, and gets them out of signing buckets of pucks and doing the "behave in the arena" promos.

Coming back is another story - talk about spanning the globe

upload_2018-7-15_0-11-45.png

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Thinking about being in a plane for that long gives me the heebie-jeebies. And I'm not the type that can fall asleep on public transportation. Maybe if I had a setup like they've got I could do it. :dunno:

Thankfully I don't anticipate ever having to make that kind of a trip. :laugh:

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thus my dilemma :laugh:

2 years ago when I went to Rio as a NBC freelancer they booked me on Boston/Toronto/Rio via Air Canada.

Imagine the joy of 300+ passengers when they announced both wifi and inboard entertainment were not available on a 10 hour flight. In fairness, they served free booze on the flight.

I was spoiled when I was young by the Air Shuttle that ran from Logan to LaGuardia from Eastern and then Pan Am. You could board the plane WITHOUT a ticket and pay on board.

In 1986 Pan Am went after Eastern

Eastern went broke in 1989 and the shuttle was sold to

PLEASE DON'T COMMENT ON THIS VIDEO

Travel is the worst part of my job and I think I have one year left in me.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
2 years ago when I went to Rio as a NBC freelancer they booked me on Boston/Toronto/Rio via Air Canada.

Imagine the joy of 300+ passengers when they announced both wifi and inboard entertainment were not available on a 10 hour flight. In fairness, they served free booze on the flight.

I was spoiled when I was young by the Air Shuttle that ran from Logan to LaGuardia from Eastern and then Pan Am. You could board the plane WITHOUT a ticket and pay on board.

In 1986 Pan Am went after Eastern

Eastern went broke in 1989 and the shuttle was sold to

PLEASE DON'T COMMENT ON THIS VIDEO

Travel is the worst part of my job and I think I have one year left in me.

Travel is definitely not for me anymore. My last significant trip was out west to New Mexico a few years ago and that pretty much hit my limit.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m not sure my asthma/allergies would be able to withstand the air quality. I`m like Paul Pfeiffer.....gonna wager only a few know who that might be

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Coming back is another story - talk about spanning the globe

View attachment 130193
That route looks similar to the one I took going from Minneapolis to Tokyo.

We went straight across coming home since we flew to Atlanta.

I needed a week to recover.

Never slept the 16 or so hours to Manila but on the way home I was out before takeoff.

We had a group with us who had been over to Manila once before us so they used miles to upgrade to those seats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad