Boston Bruins 火熊熊將在2018年O.R.G. NHL中國運動會

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ROADTRIP!!!!
cut.png

The National Hockey League will return to China in September for a pair of preseason games between the Boston Bruins and Calgary Flames as part of the 2018 O.R.G. NHL China Games™, the NHL®, the National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA) and Bloomage International jointly announced today.

On Saturday, Sept. 15, the Flames will play host to the Bruins at Shenzhen Universiade Sports Center in Shenzhen, and on Wednesday, Sept. 19, the Bruins will play host to the Flames at Cadillac Arena in Beijing. The matchups in September will be the third and fourth preseason contests played in China following the 2017 NHL China Games™ presented by O.R.G. Packaging, which included games in Shanghai and Beijing between the Los Angeles Kings and Vancouver Canucks.

The announcement advances the NHL and the NHLPA's commitment to grow the game globally, while furthering the League and the Association's international strategy. The Bruins held youth hockey camps in Shanghai and Beijing during the summers of 2016 and 2017, and in 2013, several Flames alumni served as hockey ambassadors and conducted youth hockey clinics in Hong Kong. In addition, numerous NHL clubs have recently conducted hockey camps for Chinese youth both in China and North America, including the Canucks and Kings, as well as the Montreal Canadiens, New York Islanders, Toronto Maple Leafs and Washington Capitals.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I'd love to go to China and see one of the games along with do some sight seeing.

Alas, unless I hit the lottery or find a sugar daddy, I'll settle for catching up on the trip via Behind the B
Me too Ali. Let's make a pact that if either one of us hits it big by Sept, we'll take the other.
Megamillions & Powerball FTW!!

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If this decreases the number of preseason games I get charged for, hooray!

I’d love this too, and I’d be surprised if they fit in a full slate of 3 games at the Garden. Assuming everything stays the same as last year , our pre season is supposed to start around Monday September 17. Their last game is Wednesday September 19. I wouldn’t expect them to be ready until 9/22 with jet lag and travel time. If they play every other day, that’s 9/22, 24, 26, 28, 30, October 1. It puts a b2b at the end for an already tired team, and eliminates the traditional QC seventh game. Perhaps Bruins skip both opening Weds and Thurs....but I really hope they play on Wednesday, if ya know what I mean.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I'd love to do it. Unfortunately, my job prevents me from going during the school year.

Last time I went to Beijing, it was 24 hours travel time with connections. It's a long flight and takes several days to adjust from (especially on the way back).

Reactions: Alicat

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Out of curiosity, I checked the preseason schedules of the Canucks and the Kings, who did this trip last year. The Canucks had 3 true home games, 3 true away games, and 2 games in China. Of those non-China games, it looks like 2 were played split-squad, with half the team not going to China and playing games in the US.

The Kings had a similar schedule: 3 home, 2 away, 2 China, with 1 US game split-squad.

I don’t know how they determine the split-squad, but my guess is any vet who wants a free trip to China gets it, and any vet who really doesn’t want to travel doesn’t have to. Pasta’s popular out there, partly because 88 is a “double lucky number”, but mostly because he’s just so gosh darn perfect....he’s been there twice. Will he go again?

As far as STHs go, I’d bet we’re saddled with 3 games. Worse, one or two of them may be split squad, and they’d probably be even more AHL- talent than usual.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Preseason schedule has been announced.

Bruins Announce 2018 Offseason Critical Dates & Preseason Schedule

Saturday, September 15 (Shenzhen Universiade Center, Shenzhen, China)
-Preseason Game at Calgary Flames, TBD
Sunday, September 16 (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
-Preseason Game vs. Washington Capitals, 1 p.m.
Tuesday, September 18 (Capital One Arena, Washington, DC)
-Preseason Game at Washington Capitals, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, September 19 (Cadillac Arena, Beijing, China)
-Preseason Game vs. Calgary Flames, TBD
Saturday, September 22 (Little Caesars Arena, Detroit, MI)
-Preseason Game at Detroit Red Wings, 7 p.m.
Monday, September 24 (Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, PA)
-Preseason Game at Philadelphia Flyers, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, September 26 (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
-Preseason Game vs. Detroit Red Wings, 7 p.m.
Saturday, September 29 (TD Garden, Boston, MA)
-Preseason Game vs. Philadelphia Flyers, 5 p.m.

As I thought, it looks like we're doing split-squad from 9/15 to at least 9/19. I presume at least for that period (and maybe 9/22?), the NHL lifts the mandate on how many vets the Bruins have to ice for a preseason game, since we're probably going to be playing almost everyone we have.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The only way I'm ever going to China is if the Star Trek transporters become a reality.

That flight? Noooooooooo thanks.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad