OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Ok, so this is totally random, but even though we all have our preferences, it's just difficult to care too much about the hockey without NYR still in. I'm an author and love playing with words and such like, so I re-wrote the lyrics to Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" and related them to the NHL. I know that it's a song that plenty of people have done versions of, but despite being a colossal waste of time, I do find it vaguely funny to insert my lyrics into his song. Have a look, play the real song in one window, but try using my lyrics. Just nice to have an NHL version. If any offence is caused (I'm sure it won't be, but it is HFB) it was not intended.

Hahah awesome! Always hilarious when people make versions of this song, thanks for sharing. Although you did mention Dwight King, so yes, I was offended :laugh:

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Chance the Rapper's new album is pretty damn good.

It's amazing, I thought it would be great but this is something else. He's totally taking all the shine away from Drake right now and I love it :laugh: It will be a great album to jam to in the summer, for sure.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's amazing, I thought it would be great but this is something else. He's totally taking all the shine away from Drake right now and I love it :laugh: It will be a great album to jam to in the summer, for sure.

It's amazing how smooth the music flows song-to-song. I didn't even realize an hour went by until it started to loop again.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Any rap people here?

See the conversation about Chance two posts above ;) That album's been on repeat for the past couple weeks now. But yeah, I'm a pretty big hip-hop fan in general. Don't think there are too many of us here, haha. Who are some of your favorites?

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Just gonna throw some bands/ bands-albums up because I'm bored and why not.

Animals as Leaders
The Avalanches (haven't listened to them that much, but I like what I've heard)
Beach Fossils - Beach Fossils
Blood Orange
BORNS - Dopamine - fun album
Dead Meadow
Deerhunter - Fading Frontier
Dream Theater - prog rock with some metal influences
Explosions in the Sky
Japandroids - Celebration Rock
LCD Soundsystem - just listen to all their albums
The Mars Volta
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? - highly recommend this one if you're looking for something more pop-ish and weird
Portugal. The Man - going to be at Central Park SummerStage soon
Radio Moscow - for fans of neo-psych
Real Estate - Real Estate - great album
The Sheepdogs - more neo-psych
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music - one of the few country artists/bands I've enjoyed. You'll be in for a surprise if you've never heard him before.
Temples - Sun Structures
Ty Segall and the million bands/artists he's affiliated with
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
We Are Scientists
Thank You Scientist - not affiliated with each other
Wavves
White Denim
Wild Nothing - put on a great performance last night at Webster Hall.

Dream Theater's newest album was amazing.

You might like Periphery. They're kinda prog-ish, some people call them djent. Juggernaut Alpha and Juggernaut Omega are they're most recent albums, but they just dropped a new single today and a new album is out in July I think.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Dream Theater's newest album was amazing.

You might like Periphery. They're kinda prog-ish, some people call them djent. Juggernaut Alpha and Juggernaut Omega are they're most recent albums, but they just dropped a new single today and a new album is out in July I think.

You talking about The Astonishing? It was really good, I think the people who felt lukewarm toward the album were expecting more of a prog metal album.

When you take it for what it is [a rock opera] and remove any pre-conceived notions, it's really good.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Not sure if we have any Thrice fans here at HFNYR, but their new song "Black Honey" is definitely worth a listen. So good to hear new material of theirs. I've had the song on repeat since it came out.

The anticipation for their new album (May 27th) is killing me.

Pretty good track. Was wondering when they were going to put out something new.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
You talking about The Astonishing? It was really good, I think the people who felt lukewarm toward the album were expecting more of a prog metal album.

When you take it for what it is [a rock opera] and remove any pre-conceived notions, it's really good.

Yup, The Astonishing. Definitely agree with you there though, I'd love to see like a full on stage play of the album.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
50% of the time I'll listen to new releases or classic albums, the other 50% of the time I just listen to Young Thug

*Bob Richards*

I like a few isolated Drake songs. Other than that, I'm really not a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad