Nikolas Brouillard | Kyle Bigos

Troy Grosenick
J.P. Andersson

Calgaryflames.com said:
Morning Skate Report: Flames vs. Canucks
Sunday, 08.09.2013 / 11:49 AM / News
By Torie Peterson

BROSSOIT BACK IN NET

Laurent Brossoit will make his second Young Stars Classic appearance tonight as the Flames take on the San Jose Sharks. The netminder made 19 saves on Thursday when Calgary defeated the Edmonton Oilers by a score of 5-2.

Joni Ortio handled the netminding duties on Friday, making 39 saves in a 4-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks.

TAKING ON THE SHARKS

The San Jose Sharks are 0-2 at the Young Stars Classic but Abbotsford Heat head coach Troy Ward and the Flames aren't taking the boys from California lightly. They know that their rivals will want to finish off their tournament on a positive note and will be bringing a desperate, hungry style of hockey to game.

"It will be a good test for us," Ward noted. "It will be another growth step for these guys mentally going forward because sometimes, a wounded dog hunts best. They're wounded and we're not right now.

"It will be a good test for our guys. We've challenged them a bit in a couple of areas ... we want to see what that brings to the table."

The Flames are coming into the game riding high. They have outscored their opponents 9-3 in two games and had a solid day of on and off ice practice on Saturday. With a few more practice sessions under their belts, they are feeling more comfortable with the style of play Ward and the Flames want them to play.

"We tried to accomplish a couple of things on ice," Ward said of their hour-long skate yesterday. "Two things mainly that support the systems that we will play in Calgary and in Abbotsford. A little bit of a defensive and offensive philosophy to our game yesterday."

While the Flames are happy with their performance in their first two games, Ward and the rest of the coaching staff have been adamant that their charges keep things in high gear. The organization wants to surround players in a winning culture at all levels within the organization.

"I think any time that you say that, 'We're going to be young,' and 'We're rebuilding,' or whatever the word may be ... it is important that you learn to win," Ward emphasized. "We strive to finish every day 1-0 in Abbotsford and that is kind of our approach here. Whether it is an off day or a (game) day, you have to win those days. We have to win our practice days and our game days.

"We have hopes that we can put this thing to bed 3-0."

SCRATCHES

Max Reinhart (C), Linden Penner (C), Zach Davies (D). Ryan Culkin (D)

QUOTABLE

"I'm having a blast." - Sean Monahan on his Young Stars Classic experience

SPORTCHEK BROADCAST SCHEDULE

Tonight's game will be streamed live on CalgaryFlames.com at 6:30 PM MT. Sportnet's Rob Kerr will provide play-by-play coverage of the Flames last game at the 2013 Young Stars Classic.

Game will be streamed LIVE on
Calgary Flames' Official Website

jJCjaVH.png

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
Sharks haven't posted their lineup yet so I'm using their last game's lineups as a placeholder.

Should be an interesting game - Calgary is the resident powerhouse with Winnipeg but underdog teams usually put up a decent fight even if it's just a prospect tournament.Brossoit starts in net, Reinhart is scratched, Keegan is relegated to the second pairing (probably because he was showing signs of exhaustion after Vancouver's game) and Wotherspoon is on the bottom pairing - plus, Baertschi is back on the top line left wing.

Seeing as how this is the final game of the tournament, I would have liked to see a Baertschi - Monahan - Granlund line.

For preseason/beginning of the regular season, I'm guessing Ortio/Brossoit will be 1A/1B respectively, Baertschi, Monahan, and Reinhart should see 9 games in the NHL along with Markus Granlund getting a look as well.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sharks haven't posted their lineup yet so I'm using their last game's lineups as a placeholder.

Should be an interesting game - Calgary is the resident powerhouse with Winnipeg but underdog teams usually put up a decent fight even if it's just a prospect tournament.Brossoit starts in net, Reinhart is scratched, Keegan is relegated to the second pairing (probably because he was showing signs of exhaustion after Vancouver's game) and Wotherspoon is on the bottom pairing - plus, Baertschi is back on the top line left wing.

Seeing as how this is the final game of the tournament, I would have liked to see a Baertschi - Monahan - Granlund line.

For preseason/beginning of the regular season, I'm guessing Ortio/Brossoit will be 1A/1B respectively, Baertschi, Monahan, and Reinhart should see 9 games in the NHL along with Markus Granlund getting a look as well.

Meh we roll all 4 lines pretty evenly so being on the 1st or 4th line has little to do with the amount of ice time.

Aug 3, 2010
Meh we roll all 4 lines pretty evenly so being on the 1st or 4th line has little to do with the amount of ice time.
This is true and that's Ward's system. but just for once, I wanted to see a men-amongst-boys situation.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

It seems like the Flames take sort of a different approach to this tournament than other teams do. Whereas lots of others seem to treat it like an actual tournament, the Flames tend to look at it notably more as simply a learning experience for our prospects. Maybe it has to do with us having lots of players who might be able to cut it and they don't want to give too much time to a select few? I don't know, but I do know that the Flames lineups seem really different from other teams'.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
That was the happy accident ;)

I actually don't care much for the NFL at all, but I do despise the Cowboys.

You either love them or hate them. But those mid to late 90's teams were amazing and I fell in love with them. Irvin and Aikman :heart:

Anyways like I said in the other thread over the last few years Philly has passed Van as my #2 team. And for this year only the Bruins have even passed the Flyers as I want to see Iggy win.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You either love them or hate them. But those mid to late 90's teams were amazing and I fell in love with them. Irvin and Aikman :heart:

Anyways like I said in the other thread over the last few years Philly has passed Van as my #2 team. And for this year only the Bruins have even passed the Flyers as I want to see Iggy win.
I missed that about Philly. Your taste is getting better with them and the Bruins ahead of the Canucks ;)

I learned to hate the Cowboys because I was a Bills fan back in the day, but as years have passed I just became less and less an NFL fan. But I will admit when I saw the Bills were up by a point today against the other team I despise I got excited and searched for a way to see the dying moments, only to be disappointed once again.

Aug 3, 2010

Seems you're a pretty fickle guy - will your allegiance to the Flaming C waver / change as well?

Just wondering, of course.burnthehereticatthestake

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Seems you're a pretty fickle guy - will your allegiance to the Flaming C waver / change as well?

Just wondering, of course.burnthehereticatthestake

:laugh:

No I loved players like Linden who were all heart and soul and their most recent teams have completely been lacking in those players which is why I have found myself becoming bored and tired with them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The boys are my NFL team as well. They need to lose Romo if they want to win a championship though.

Not to sound all anti Canadian, but I much prefer the NFL to the CFL. The CFL is more entertaining, but the caliber of football in the NFL is second to none.

And like Huds, Aikman, Irving, Smith, Haley and Novachek sold me on the boys to. I still like them.

AH, do you like the Flyers because they hate the Pens?

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Boston used to be my least favourite team in the world, so they're #15 now, because I want to see Iginla win just as badly as I want to see players like Krecji, Lucic, Marchand and Thornton lose.

As for football, I'm a Seahawks fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad