Post-Game Talk: ★ Young Stars Tournament ☆ Game 2: Calgary 4 - Vancouver 1 FINAL

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Michael Ferland turned 21 years old five months ago, and has ten games of professional experience under his belt. He is hardly more polished than a good portion of "prospects" in this tournament.

Woops your right. He is certainly more polished than most as he is older. Not saying he is bad but other players have more time to grow and surpass him.

Aug 3, 2010
While I have been impressed with him you have to remember he is 21 and older than most guys, he is more polished than most others but that doesn't mean he is a better prospect.
Seeing as you know he's 21 now...

I think Calgary knows where Ferland lies on their depth charts. Just like Ortio, he's not had a bad showing here but this is a prospect tournament against younger men.

Players I think that are at least his level or will surpass Ferland are:

Jankowski
Baertschi
Monahan
Gaudreau
Knight
Granlund
Reinhart
Poirier
Hanowski
Horak
Bouma

He might not find room on the Calgary roster unless he is given a chance somewhere else or another prospect is moved. I believe Ferland would be a decent third-line option if he develops fully into his prime.

Last edited:

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Seeing as you know he's 21 now...

I think Calgary knows where Ferland lies on their depth charts. Just like Ortio, he's not had a bad showing here but this is a prospect tournament against younger men.

Players I think that are at least his level or will surpass Ferland are:

Jankowski
Baertschi
Monahan
Gaudreau
Knight
Granlund
Reinhart
Poirier
Hanowski
Horak
Bouma

He might not find room on the Calgary roster unless he is given a chance somewhere else or another prospect is moved. I believe Ferland would be a decent third-line option if he develops fully into his prime.

He's only 21! While these players listed are developing, he will also be developing, and he said in an interview that he completely changed how he trains, eats, works out, and it has been working wonders for him. I think the sky is the limit for him if he maintains this drive he's showing as of late.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Hey, let's not get too in over our heads here. Anyone can have two great games. It's gonna take a great season in the AHL to prove to us that Michael can really cut it as a second line LW or so in the NHL.

Last edited:

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Hey, let's not get too in over our heads here. Anyone can have two great games. It's gonna take a great season in the AHL to prove to us that Michael can really cut it as a second line centre or so in the NHL.

All I'm saying is that its no surprise we're seeing such a change from Ferland, based on how he is training now, and I don't think the fact that he is maybe a year or so older than some of the guys here has a lot to do with it. He seems motivated right now to become an NHL player and thats the sort of drive we havent seen out of him to date. That could be really encouraging.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
While I have been impressed with him you have to remember he is 21 and older than most guys, he is more polished than most others but that doesn't mean he is a better prospect.

I like him because he has the potential to be an impact player for the Flames, he has many intangibles to his game. I stand by my comment saying he should be in our top 20, that's not a stretch.

I really hope he has a good pro season!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't understand how this team can have a ton of cap space and not afford a good PBP announcer.
Play by play announcers are hired by the network, in this case Sportsnet. It has nothing to do with how much cash the Flames may or may not have.

Good game guys, Ortio was insane, what a game by him.

Any canucks prospect stand out?.

thanks
Alot of the other guys were mentioned but despite the final score Eriksson was quite good IMO. I honestly think he has a legit shot at beating out Lack for the backup job.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Some thoughts after the 2 games, mostly on guys I have been hard on.

Michael Ferland - The kid has been quite good after 2 games, has himself a good scrap and a couple very nice passes to set up a couple gimmie goals for Monahan and Granlund. Ferland is showing things that he never showed a glimmer of during his stint with the Heat.

Joni Ortio - Wow. I am not sure much else can be said, he was phenomenal. He showed something tonight that he has not shown in North America before. This Ortio was non-existent in the last prospect tournament and his time with the Heat where he was regularly lit up like a Christmas tree.

It's only been 2 games for Ferland and 1 for Ortio but both have looked fantastic. I hope it continues, I just don't want to get too high after such a short time frame of success.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
I had a hard time understanding how they let the Canucks plant someone in front of Ortio all night long. It was lucky he was as sharp as he was.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Joni Ortio's English is phenomenal. Like, barely even a hint of accent. Which is rare because many young Finns (including our own Markus Granlund) struggle with the language. These two guys were teammates in HIFK so they'll be able to help one another out in Abbotsford.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sad to have missed this game. Given my location, I do get more enjoyment out of beating the Canucks than beating the Oilers.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I know this sounds crazy but I think both have a good chance to make the Flames.

This year? I'd say Granlund is one of the first callups, but short of Joni beating out Mac, Berra and Ramo all at the same time, he's probably back in the AHL this season. I'd love for him to do it though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
This year? I'd say Granlund is one of the first callups, but short of Joni beating out Mac, Berra and Ramo all at the same time, he's probably back in the AHL this season. I'd love for him to do it though.

Well all 3 goalies are a wild card if Ortio can play like this in camp I think he beats out MacDonald and then it just depends what Berra and Ramo do.

I think Granlund has the best shot and surprising people (like Smith did) for a while and Feaster has even publicly said he is very interested to see what he can do. We are so weak and center and RW and with Granlund's experience playing against men I think he has a chance to get a spot.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Wouldn't it be something if Granlund came in a made a bigger impact than his uber talented brother has thus far? I'm not banking on it, but it would be a nice story

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Wouldn't it be something if Granlund came in a made a bigger impact than his uber talented brother has thus far? I'm not banking on it, but it would be a nice story

I think Mikeal should hopefully have a better season for Minnesota this year.

That being said, if Markus can make the shift to RW either in the AHL or NHL this season, I could see some success. I don't know if his two way play will be good enough for the NHL, but his shot is just so awesome that I can see him being a sniper in the NHL pretty easily.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I know this sounds crazy but I think both have a good chance to make the Flames.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them get a taste of NHL action when injuries inevitably strike, or when trades happen near the deadline. I've been blown away by both. Ortio's fundamental's look a lot better (this was always the problem with Irving) and Granlund seems to have good strength along the boards and a willingness to go the net.

Still, they need to stand out against men in the AHL. I'm confident they will and pretty impressive stuff out of a couple of guys who aren't even considered top-10 prospects for this organization. I'd throw Michael Ferland and John Ramage in that mix as well. Those guys weren't even top-20! I've always felt that depth and character was where Edmonton's prospect pool was a failure. I feel like we have lots of it and it's going to make our turn around much faster. Every year we are going to have a constant stream of a mix of impact players and great depth/character guys hitting our pro ranks.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think Mikeal should hopefully have a better season for Minnesota this year.

That being said, if Markus can make the shift to RW either in the AHL or NHL this season, I could see some success. I don't know if his two way play will be good enough for the NHL, but his shot is just so awesome that I can see him being a sniper in the NHL pretty easily.

Yes. I agree he would be better suited on the wing in order to make the NHL. To make the Flames, however, that has to be the right wing or he has to be more 2-way at centre

benfool

Aug 30, 2013

A few years ago I would think that such a statement or expectation would be crazy. It may not be that far of a stretch to say that may happen. There was obviously a massive gap in the talent level when they were drafted but maybe that gap has closed. I have not seen his brother look all that great and a lot of Wild fans do not revere him the way they did originally.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
A few years ago I would think that such a statement or expectation would be crazy. It may not be that far of a stretch to say that may happen. There was obviously a massive gap in the talent level when they were drafted but maybe that gap has closed. I have not seen his brother look all that great and a lot of Wild fans do not revere him the way they did originally.
I think his brother is far more talented then him and is just having trouble translating it to the NHL. He has done it in the AHL and it won't be long before Mikeal is showcasing his skill set in the NHL.

Markus is a little more of a wildcard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->