Post-Game Talk: ★ Young Stars Tournament ☆ Game 1: Calgary 5 - Edmonton 2 FINAL

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
After watching the highlights, my goodness is Michael Ferland a big man with some soft hands. Excited to see what he can do after what was essentially a failure of a season last year.

Markus Granlund also looked very slick and confident.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Who is number 63? I didn't watch the game but watched the highlights and just in the highlights he seemed to stick out.

Edit: is it Monahan?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Even though Ferland was an older guy in this, he had high end smarts that allowed him to make amazing plays at high speeds. He really has a great tool box. I got to listen to most of it and it just seemed like him nd Granlund and Hanowski's name just kept coming up. The highlights certainly explained why

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I missed the game, how did he look overall? I've always felt he's been massively underrated by our fan base.

Also curious, how did Sven, Monahan, and Poirier look?

Ferland played well. He was not the physical force that he usually is, but he did get caught up in a few skirmishes after the whistle. He looks noticeably faster in my opinion which may be a good indication that he has put in the work over the summer to improve on his conditioning and overall fitness levels. His skill for a big man is high end, and his upside is still amongst the most intriguing in our prospect pool. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do in Abbotsford this year (hopefully he gets in Ward's good books).

Sven showed glimpses of high end skill (he had a sick give and go with Knight in period one that resulted in a great glove save by bunz) but really did not dominate the game like some expected him to do. I don't think he played bad by any means, and in fact didn't even get that much icetime from what I could see.

I thought Monahan was excellent. I have read a few comments saying that he was merely average but I strongly disagree. His positioning and defensive instincts are NHL caliber at this very moment, and while his offensive game is by no means flashy..it is productive. His hockey sense becomes so prevalent when you are solely watching him as the play develops. He is always in the correct spot.

Poirier looked average at best in the first period, but really turned it on in the second and third periods of the scrimmage. As we all know he can skate like the wind, but the thing that impressed me the most was his ability to go to the dirty ares on the ice and crash the net. He scored his goal because of that innate ability of being around the puck at all times. I have a tough time not imagining him as an NHL player in some capacity in the future.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I would also say that when Poirier is not exerting himself on the ice that his skating does look rather clumsy and ineffective, but boy oh boy when he wants to get going it is about as top notch as you will find. I could see how it may throw off a few scouts if they did not watch him play more than a few times, or consistently enough to get a read on that trait of his.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Very well said, HighLifeMan. I agree on all points.

Ferland is very intriguing. Size, toughness, and hands. The hands and dangles he showed today were great and had me chuckling the way he pulled off some sweet moves to get to the front of the net. He can be a real force at the NHL level if it all comes together, I feel.

I want to say his comparison is a lesser Lucic. Is that a fair comparison or am I off? I believe I have heard that comparison thrown around when he was with the Wheat Kings in past years. I could be wrong, though.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Very well said, HighLifeMan. I agree on all points.

Ferland is very intriguing. Size, toughness, and hands. The hands and dangles he showed today were great and had me chuckling the way he pulled off some sweet moves to get to the front of the net. He can be a real force at the NHL level if it all comes together, I feel.

I want to say his comparison is a lesser Lucic. Is that a fair comparison or am I off? I believe I have heard that comparison thrown around when he was with the Wheat Kings in past years. I could be wrong, though.

I think that is a more than fair comparison in terms of playstyle. He definitely brings that mixture of skill and physicality that is so heavily sought after in the league today. Both of them were late bloomers as well in terms of establishing themselves in the CHL. Even potential wise as you said if all goes right he could very well put up 20-25 goals, and 50ish points a season. I am not sure he has the will in him to reach that level, but I suppose you can't rule it out at this point in time because of the tools he possesses.

TylerSVT*

Personally I think they're the two most skilled forwards at this tournament. If Vancouver didn't keep taking penalties, they could be winning this game.

LOL,

Horvat is good but no way is he at Monahans level, and Hunter while good, is nowhere near some of the other players at the tourny.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Hertl before Horvat right now. As I've said before Horvat has a lot to prove this year before I'd put him with the top prospects right now. He's great I'll give you that.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
If Horvat was better than Monahan, why was Monahan selected earlier?

That's not what I'm saying. Monahan is without a doubt the better player overall (him and Sven are honestly probably the best in the tournament). But I think Horvat has a better offensive toolset and if he can get that together and turn it into sheer production, he could become more offensively dangerous than Monahan would.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Monahan's skating is kind of average. I think he'll be a good second line center, but i don't know about him being a number one guy. I was hoping for a little more explosive stride. He's a hard worker though, so I'm sure he can improve.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
At the same time, I'm very impressed with Emile Poirier. His speed is Lombardi–esque but his hands and his brain are actually able to keep up with his feet. This guy could be one of the league's best PKers in five years. Very smart player and completley unafraid to go to the net.

I wish Bartschi would stop coasting. I'm not concerned because TJ Brodie had the same bad habit of dogging it in prospect camps and prospect tourneys. Still, Bartschi is plenty capable of making everyone else on the ice look like midget players, and I'd love to see that out of him.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Monahan's skating is kind of average. I think he'll be a good second line center, but i don't know about him being a number one guy. I was hoping for a little more explosive stride. He's a hard worker though, so I'm sure he can improve.

Maybe he was over-thinking the game? He's one of few who have a legit shot of making the big club and his defensive game was sound from what I heard.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
At the same time, I'm very impressed with Emile Poirier. His speed is Lombardi–esque but his hands and his brain are actually able to keep up with his feet. This guy could be one of the league's best PKers in five years. Very smart player and completley unafraid to go to the net.

I wish Bartschi would stop coasting. I'm not concerned because TJ Brodie had the same bad habit of dogging it in prospect camps and prospect tourneys. Still, Bartschi is plenty capable of making everyone else on the ice look like midget players, and I'd love to see that out of him.

This. If he was going full force it could've been 8-2 yesterday, which at least scares the **** out of the other four teams even if it technically doesn't get us anywhere that a 5-2 win doesn't already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad