Friedman: “Stealth team for Noah Hanifin: Vancouver”

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I'm not buying this speculation. The one reason Hanifin over other assets would be available is because he's a marquee asset that could shake loose some other team's "untouchable" asset. Likewise, for where Carolina is in their rebuild, at this point a pick does not make sense unless it were substantially better than where Hanifin was taken and represented a surer, immediate asset. There are only two such picks in this draft and the Canes already have one of them. The Canucks don't have the other.

I've seen a lot of offers in this thread that could help the Canes, but none that couldn't be obtained with other unneeded assets by the Canes leaving their biggest trade chip in their pocket.

If the Canucks were really in on Hanifin...which I don't believe they are...it would be for Boeser or Horvat. No lesser asset or package makes sense.

Reactions: DaveG

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Too bad for the Canes Hanifin has not lived up so far to draft expectations. Still could come around is 21 we will see

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Too bad for the Canes Hanifin has not lived up so far to draft expectations. Still could come around is 21 we will see

The emergence of Slavin and Pesce as a top pairing has greatly reduced the need for Hanifin to become that stud #1 defenseman, so there's no need to feel bad for us at all. Plus, who's to say he still can't develop as a #1D as you said, he's still 21-years old and he certainly wouldn't be the first defenseman to hit his stride when he's 22-25.

There's still huge potential there, and if any team wants to trade for him, they're going to have to give up real value for him. If not, we'll gladly keep him (which is what I'd much prefer to do).

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'm not buying this speculation. The one reason Hanifin over other assets would be available is because he's a marquee asset that could shake loose some other team's "untouchable" asset. Likewise, for where Carolina is in their rebuild, at this point a pick does not make sense unless it were substantially better than where Hanifin was taken and represented a surer, immediate asset. There are only two such picks in this draft and the Canes already have one of them. The Canucks don't have the other.

I've seen a lot of offers in this thread that could help the Canes, but none that couldn't be obtained with other unneeded assets by the Canes leaving their biggest trade chip in their pocket.

If the Canucks were really in on Hanifin...which I don't believe they are...it would be for Boeser or Horvat. No lesser asset or package makes sense.
Hanifin doesn’t get you Boeser, don’t be ridiculous.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Vancouver probably a good fit but who would they give up? Bo? Sounds like too much. Would either team to Bo and 7 for Hanifin and 2nd? Don't know either team that well

lawrence

May 19, 2012
theres no bloody way Vancouver is the only team that is interested in such a good dman........ ohhhhh right...... Friedman is doing the annual (. ___intsert Canadian team here___) is interested in this player to stir up followers again.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
theres no bloody way Vancouver is the only team that is interested in such a good dman........ ohhhhh right...... Friedman is doing the annual (. ___intsert Canadian team here___) is interested in this player to stir up followers again.
I get the impression that after they hear what the Canes expect they slowly back out and run lol. Canes fabs should just say that any young good D man is not for sale. It looks better than some of the expected returns. They forget how the NHL works. All the other GM's saw how the Hall for Larsson deal worked out and I suspect that they are not keen on being the next Chirelli(sp?)

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Bruins are looking for a young defenseman and Hanifin might be a good fit.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Vancouver probably a good fit but who would they give up? Bo? Sounds like too much. Would either team to Bo and 7 for Hanifin and 2nd? Don't know either team that well

I don’t believe Carolina would even consider that for a moment.

I like Horvat a lot but Svechnikov appears to have star potential. Wouldn’t trade Hanifin for the 7th either where we’d only be drafting a player we hope could be as good as him in a few years. Doesn’t make any sense. He will only be moved for a comparably aged center or we will happily keep him. Don’t need draft picks or prospects as we have good depth and aren’t rebuilding.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Again, I'm all over the idea of Hanifin to Vancouver if a deal can be worked out. I have three guys I'd much rather want to keep, unless this is a Carolina adding situation, which is just bug nuts crazy, as Hanifin has great value. Those players are Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson, and other such as Juolevi, Tanev, Demko, DiPietro, our 7th overall pick and even Dahlen could be had, provided they are the main piece. Not the only piece, but the nickel in a "breaking of a dime" situation.

Other "pennies" would be players like Hutton, Baertschi, our second, either of Markstrom or Nilsson, Edler, Stetcher, Gagner, Sutter (ha!), Granlund, I mean it's getting pretty thin here.

I respect the abilities and potential Hanifin has, but we are not in a position to move our biggest assets for him. Period. Of course we'd love to have him, and if we can get him in a trade within the perimeters I've set up we would be lucky, but piling on (say) Demko+7th or Tanev+7th doesn't fix our team, we are making bigger very real holes to possibly fix a long term need. We've tried that before and it's exploded in our face. We've tried to "speed up" the rebuild with trades like Gudbranson, Sutter, Forsling, Baertschi, Granlund and I'm sure a whole host of others I'm mentally blocking, and it simply doesn't work for us. We need a clear win, or an exchange of quantity for quality coming back, which is a big ask for another fan base.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The emergence of Slavin and Pesce as a top pairing has greatly reduced the need for Hanifin to become that stud #1 defenseman, so there's no need to feel bad for us at all. Plus, who's to say he still can't develop as a #1D as you said, he's still 21-years old and he certainly wouldn't be the first defenseman to hit his stride when he's 22-25.

There's still huge potential there, and if any team wants to trade for him, they're going to have to give up real value for him. If not, we'll gladly keep him (which is what I'd much prefer to do).
say that about Juolevi I DARE YOU

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad