Dahlin
Svech
Zadina
Hughes
Wahlstrom
Dobson

I'd keep 7th OA.

Do a three way deal with Edmonton.

Carolina gets: 10th Overall pick+Sven Baertschi+Ben Hutton+40th Overall(Edm)
Edmonton gets: Chris Tanev+Victor Rask
Vancouver gets: Noah Hanifin

Fair?
CAR definitely doesn’t do that. guys like Baertschi and Hutton are not substantial pieces of a Noah Hanifin trade. Canes can backfill those types of roles with overripe prospects in Charlotte right now. maybe they would place nonzero value to moving Rask, but that’s the kind of deal where you sell lowish on Rask’s value rather than pay a Hanifin type ransom for a 10OA pick and a 2nd round lottery ticket.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If Dobson isn’t available at the pick, I’d offer 7+Hutton

7 + Tanev + Markström is:

Just awful for the Canucks

And your offer is 7 + Hutton?

I guess I am just far under-estimating the value of Tanev? Can’t imagine Markström is worth much of anything. Canes want a steady veteran top-4 D but it isn’t really a need. A rental like Hjalmarsson or a UFA like De Haan would be more than adequate.

What is for sure is that they don’t need Hutton. He doesn’t do anything for the Canes. They Canes have one of the top depth pools in the league for defense and forwards. What they are looking for is a steady, top-4 veteran D (old/expensive is fine), a goalie (hence Canes fans asking for 7 + Demko), and top-end offensive talent (no Canes fans believe they have a chance at Boeser or Horvat for Hanifin).

Who knows - maybe the Canes are in love with Wahlstrom or Tkachuk or Kotkaniemi and the pick alone would be good enough. Although I’m not sure that teams #3-6 wouldn’t also jump on a deal centered around Hanifin for their pick.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018

I guess I am just far under-estimating the value of Tanev? Can’t imagine Markström is worth much of anything. Canes want a steady veteran top-4 D but it isn’t really a need. A rental like Hjalmarsson or a UFA like De Haan would be more than adequate.

What is for sure is that they don’t need Hutton. He doesn’t do anything for the Canes. They Canes have one of the top depth pools in the league for defense and forwards. What they are looking for is a steady, top-4 veteran D (old/expensive is fine), a goalie (hence Canes fans asking for 7 + Demko), and top-end offensive talent (no Canes fans believe they have a chance at Boeser or Horvat for Hanifin).

Who knows - maybe the Canes are in love with Wahlstrom or Tkachuk or Kotkaniemi and the pick alone would be good enough. Although I’m not sure that teams #3-6 wouldn’t also jump on a deal centered around Hanifin for their pick.
The Canes have Alex Nedeljkovic who put up identical numbers to Demko this season. Demko is untouchable along with Pettersson, Boeser and likely Bo. (I would argue Dahlen & Juolevi are too). Markstrom is worth a ton to Vancouver. He is our only legitimate starter with NHL experience. The knock of Hannifin I seem to be hearing from hockey insiders on Vancouver media. Is that Hanifin is not likely to get much better offensively. They believe he essentially is what he will become because he lacks the offensive instincts. They even referred to his draft year where it was believed Werenski had the higher offensive ceiling which seems to be heading that way. So if all this is true. What is Hanifin maybe a 35-40 point at his peak? I think its very difficult to judge a player at 21 but if those offensive instincts are lacking then he's just a very good puck moving D which is valuable in its own right. It sounds like Carolina doesn't want to pay him top dollar when they already have a good D core. They would get max value on a return on him and it would free up money elsewhere on the lineup. They already got a few of their key d pieces signed for term.

I am guessing it would start with the 7th overall and include a LHD D (Pouliot/Hutton) and a middle 6 forward like Baerstchi. If Carolina doesn't want some of these parts they can then deal them in separate transactions and get pieces they prefer back. Markstrom isn't a terrible goalie he is average but he needs defense in front of him if he wants to become a stable force in net. There is zero chance Nilsson Demko lead this team on to the ice. I suspect Markstrom stays until Demko is ready to try full-time duties.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
That is because they have this false expectation that Tanev has real value.
It sounds like they plan to keep Tanev now to partner with Juolevi. They have said that was the plan since they drafted OJ. But over the last few years they said he wasn't untouchable and he could be had if the right offer came. Now that time has passed I think. I suspect he stays in VAN and help guide Juolevi. After a year and a half with Olli next TDL perhaps they explore it then once Olli has been eased into the league with a strong partner who can make the transition easier.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Hanifin? a "proven #1 D" ahahahahahahahahaha

No reason to embellish this. He is a young legit Top 4 who has #2 ceiling. There's more to the game than just MUH POINTS.

Now, that's not to say Hanifin should just be given away obv. 7th overall would have to be in the mix.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Would have to be something stupid for either team. Something like Tanev+Markström for Hanifin+Darling, or something where Gaudette or Horvat. Something stupid, either way.

Winston2018

Winston The Maltipoo
Feb 5, 2018
NNJ
The Canes have Alex Nedeljkovic who put up identical numbers to Demko this season. Demko is untouchable along with Pettersson, Boeser and likely Bo. (I would argue Dahlen & Juolevi are too). Markstrom is worth a ton to Vancouver. He is our only legitimate starter with NHL experience. The knock of Hannifin I seem to be hearing from hockey insiders on Vancouver media. Is that Hanifin is not likely to get much better offensively. They believe he essentially is what he will become because he lacks the offensive instincts. They even referred to his draft year where it was believed Werenski had the higher offensive ceiling which seems to be heading that way. So if all this is true. What is Hanifin maybe a 35-40 point at his peak? I think its very difficult to judge a player at 21 but if those offensive instincts are lacking then he's just a very good puck moving D which is valuable in its own right. It sounds like Carolina doesn't want to pay him top dollar when they already have a good D core. They would get max value on a return on him and it would free up money elsewhere on the lineup. They already got a few of their key d pieces signed for term.

I am guessing it would start with the 7th overall and include a LHD D (Pouliot/Hutton) and a middle 6 forward like Baerstchi. If Carolina doesn't want some of these parts they can then deal them in separate transactions and get pieces they prefer back. Markstrom isn't a terrible goalie he is average but he needs defense in front of him if he wants to become a stable force in net. There is zero chance Nilsson Demko lead this team on to the ice. I suspect Markstrom stays until Demko is ready to try full-time duties.

Hanifin sounds like Mcdonagh

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Disclaimer: I’ve watched damn near every game Hanifin has ever played in the NHL and some might say that I’m not a huge fan of him

Vancouver’s media (and many on this thread) is 1000% wrong. It’s pretty clear all these guys never actually watch Hanifin. I’d say right now he is a solid #4 offensive defender with obvious upside given that he is a 6’3”, 205 lbs 21 year old with 200+ NHL games under his belt.

If Hanifin has one aspect of his game that looks like it is #1D quality then it is his offensive zone play. During the first half of this season Hanifin was top among the league in possession and scoring metrics. He moves well laterally from the point, has great instincts (when confident), gets shots through, and can make beautiful plays.

It is in the defensive zone that Hanifin has issues. And watching Columbus closely these Playoffs, Werenski was struggling with the same issues. Loses his man too often, gets overpowered, gets flustered and makes a bad outlet pass... things that veterans do to abuse young players work well on Hanifin. He has slowly gotten better as his minutes have increased and the hope is that experience will mold him to a more acceptable range. I don’t think he will ever be great in the defensive zone - at best he will refine his positoning, get stronger, and try to keep it as simple as possible. He has the size and skating to be effective enough.

Earlier comparisons as Hanifin’s upside as a “#2 like Hampus Lindholm” are egregiously bad. That is the polar opposite of his likely upside IMO.

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Disclaimer: I’ve watched damn near every game Hanifin has ever played in the NHL and some might say that I’m not a huge fan of him

Vancouver’s media (and many on this thread) is 1000% wrong. It’s pretty clear all these guys never actually watch Hanifin. I’d say right now he is a solid #4 offensive defender right now with obvious upside given that he is a 6’3”, 205 lbs 21 year old with 200+ NHL games under his belt.

If Hanifin has one aspect of his game that looks like it is #1D quality then it is his offensive zone play. During the first half of this season Hanifin was top among the league in possession and scoring metrics. He moves well laterally from the point, has great instincts (when confident), gets shots through, and can make beautiful plays.

It is in the defensive zone that Hanifin has issues. And watching Columbus closely these Playoffs, Werenski was struggling with the same issues. Loses his man too often, gets overpowered, gets flustered and makes a bad outlet pass... things that veterans do to abuse young players work well on Hanifin. He has slowly gotten better as his minutes have increased and the hope is that experience will mold him to a more acceptable range. I don’t think he will ever be great in the defensive zone - at best he will refine his positoning, get stronger, and try to keep it as simple as possible. He has the size and skating to be effective enough.

Earlier comparisons as Hanifin’s upside as a “#2 like Hampus Lindholm” are egregiously bad. That is the polar opposite of his likely upside IMO.
Thank you for the insight Canescup2019, with that being said, what would you be interested in for Hanifin from Vancouver? Would something around Hobey Baker winner Gaudette interest you?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Thank you for the insight Canescup2019, with that being said, what would you be interested in for Hanifin from Vancouver? Would something around Hobey Baker winner Gaudette interest you?

I have zero exposure to Gaudette so I couldn’t say. His stats and reports look good. I do know that the Canes have good USHL/NCAA scouts and it seems that they like guys from that developmental curve.

The Canes have bought into Rod Brind’Amour and, as such, will bring in skill guys that compete hard. They are linked to ROR which is in that same vein. Seems like Gaudette would be a similar baseline only younger and less proven.

I think the idea around #7+ for Hanifin would be that the Canes may have really liked a guy at their original spot (#11). Moving Hanifin for that guy plus filling another need (veteran top-4 D, starting goalie, blue chip forward prospect) might get a deal done.

The Canes will likely move one of Faulk or Hanifin because the two have similar deficiencies. Both need an anchor veteran to shine. For the Canes that makes it tough to fit both into a defense where 1) Slavin-Pesce has such great chemistry and 2) Haydn Fleury and Jake Bean are 19-20 years old.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
You'd think Carolina would have some interest in DiPietro, no? He was just named the OHL goalie of the year, and had an incredible playoffs the year before. He's shaping up to be a really solid goalie prospect, something Carolina could use. He also was just on the team Canada roster.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
You'd think Carolina would have some interest in DiPietro, no? He was just named the OHL goalie of the year, and had an incredible playoffs the year before. He's shaping up to be a really solid goalie prospect, something Carolina could use. He also was just on the team Canada roster.

Wouldn’t pay too much for most goalie prospects. They’re just so unpredictable. He doesn’t exactly have great size, either.

Anyway, Carolina doesn’t have a pressing need at the moment for a goalie prospect. We have a couple decent guys including Jeremy Helvig who just had better stats than Dipietro in the same league. They need a proven starter.

Reactions: Brock Anton

NessFreaK

Dec 12, 2015

Just look at the OHL goalie of the years since 2002. Just look at them.

Beyond that, Carolina has already had 2 - Nedeljkovic and 2 time winner Mike Murphy .. Yet our goaltending is still sadder than a dead llama. Sorry, but we are not willing to put any credence on such prospects.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Lol that is pretty brutal, thanks for putting it into context. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but at least DiPietro won it as an 18 year old as opposed to be an over-ager?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

7+Tanev is a ridiculous overpayment. That offer is not even remotely reasonable.

7+Demko is still an overpayment, but its closer to fair value. I wouldn’t do it either though.

If the Canucks can get Hanifin and give up 1 highly valuable piece (7th overall), it makes sense for them. But if they have to give up another highly valuable piece, in addition to 7th overall, there is no trade to be made.

If Hutton is of no interest, I would offer 7+Baertschi+Markstrom for Hanifin+Darling’s full contract.

That is the best offer I can think of from a Canucks perspective. If it doesn’t work for Carolina, oh well.

baconbacon

Sep 29, 2011
7th Overall
Hutton
Markstrom
For
Hanifin
Darling
2nd rounder

Carolina leaves the draft with 2 potential first line forwards, dump Darling and get 2 suitable nhl replacement players. They could also use this pick as the basis of a ROR trade. Trade Skinner for Simmonds and they become "a lot harder to play against".
Vancouver gets a potential 1st pairing d thats more developed and already a top 4 nhl defenceman. They get a stopgap goalie till Demko can take the reigns and get a decent pick.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Wouldn’t pay too much for most goalie prospects. They’re just so unpredictable. He doesn’t exactly have great size, either.

Anyway, Carolina doesn’t have a pressing need at the moment for a goalie prospect. We have a couple decent guys including Jeremy Helvig who just had better stats than Dipietro in the same league. They need a proven starter.
Dipietro played on an awful team that sold all its good players except dipietro at the trade deadline. Despite all of this, he was still in the running for CHL goalie of the year. He is a better prospect than Helvig imo.

And for his size: He may only be 6’1, but he has a massive wingspan.

If the Canucks didn’t have Demko, he wouldn’t be available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad