Friedman: “Lots of expectation St. Louis will be an aggressive trade partner”

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Hindsight is always 20/20. Most teams are absolutely clamoring for goalies who have only one above .500 season out of their first seven (his career stats at that point were 70-82 with a .909 SV)
I thought it was quite obvious that Dubnyk would be good if he got out from under the Oil. Watching him play, it was easy to tell that his team was more a factor of his numbers than he was the main factor. That’s not really hindsight.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If I was the GM of the St. Louis Blues they would've had 3,5 years of Devan Dubnyk at this point. It was so obvious problem already back then. He cost a 3rd round pick for Minnesota. Armstrong has done nothing since then. Pathetic managing.
And the funnier thing is that the team that got him (Minnesota) has done even less. But continue on about how he solved a team’s problem apparently...

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Hindsight is always 20/20. Most teams are absolutely clamoring for goalies who have only one above .500 season out of their first seven (his career stats at that point were 70-82 with a .909 SV)
But there is no hindsight. I said it already when there were just rumors that Dubnyk was going to be moved from Arizona that St. Louis should go hard after him. He played amazingly well for them in 14/15, when Arizona was one of the bottom teams in the league. They had nothing to lose but yet 3,5 years later haven't done anything.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
And the funnier thing is that the team that got him (Minnesota) has done even less. But continue on about how he solved a team’s problem apparently...
At the end of the day players are mostly responsible for only their own performance on the ice. Dubnyk has cemented his status as a #1 goalie in Minnesota. He's playing well. Now St. Louis meanwhile has done nothing to their goalie situation and hired Mike Yeo (who was the head coach of Dubnyk in Minnesota for a while) as a coach and missed playoffs for the first time in seven years.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Mike Yeo coddles the top players too much. And when he does decide to get angry, it's hard to respect and work for the guy who clearly plays favorites.

During that 7 game skid you could clearly tell he had no answers. He was just hoping for a win.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
At the end of the day players are mostly responsible for only their own performance on the ice. Dubnyk has cemented his status as a #1 goalie in Minnesota. He's playing well. Now St. Louis meanwhile has done nothing to their goalie situation and hired Mike Yeo (who was the head coach of Dubnyk in Minnesota for a while) as a coach and missed playoffs for the first time in seven years.

Goalies are hard to predict and Dubnyk's had his down moments as well. This feels like Monday Morning Quarterbacking to me. Armstrong has managed to bring in both Brian Elliott and Carter Hutton who have posted fantastic #'s as backups and sometime starters for the Blues. If he were truly as incompetent as you're suggesting then those guys wouldn't have set the records they did in a Blues uniform.

Allen got an extension too early. That is probably our biggest gripe as Blues fans about him. Lehtera, Yeo, Berglund...the guy has managed cap really well here but those extensions weren't smart. Going to be hard to move Allen with 3 years of term left on his deal so in all likelihood we're stuck with him for at least next year but who knows, maybe Armstrong can move him. We have a 23 year old Ville Husso who plays a style very similar to Elliott and Hutton who've had a ton of success here and he has starter potential. So while having Allen as the current starter stinks at least there is a potential solution waiting for his shot and with Allen's yearly inconsistencies he'll get his shot sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 67Blues

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I remember when we planned our Cup parade once we traded for Miller as everyone on HF said we'd be an instant favorite. But then he came here and basically crapped the bed and we basically were right back where we are today. Goalies are funny things, their game may or may not translate to a new team. Who's to say that Dubs came here, played poorly in our system, then everyone would be laughing saying that the Blues didn't study what he was like in Edmonton. You just never know, and hindsight is always clearest.

The worst thing Army did as was stated by @TK 421 was to extend Allen without him proving much of anything. The Blues had control and should have bridged him.

Reactions: Dbrownss

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Hoffman still of interest?
Sure but OTT asked for Kyrou at the deadline and Armstrong declined. I'm sure talks will start up again at the draft but if the Blues miss out on Hoffman because they were unwilling to move their 2 best prospects, I'm STL fans will be fine with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbrownss

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Hoffman still of interest?

Armstrong is determined to shoehorn that Winnipeg 1st as the add to get Hoffman so we may be at an impasse based on both sides fans here on HF and reportedly between the GM's as well. A Fabbri+ Winnipeg 1st is rumored to have been Armstrong's offer but this is obviously just speculation.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I thought it was quite obvious that Dubnyk would be good if he got out from under the Oil. Watching him play, it was easy to tell that his team was more a factor of his numbers than he was the main factor. That’s not really hindsight.

Actually Dubnyk 's numbers were pretty damn decent the last couple of years with the Oilers that he split the duties with the Gawd awful Nick Khabby so we all saw his potential, it's just that the then management was totally clueless on how to build a winner in front of him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ok, and Yeo also beat Dubnyk and the Wild in 5 games a year ago in the playoffs.

I'm not really understanding your point.

Yes the Blues' goaltending is not ideal. We know that. But the team you're comparing them to has a lot of work to do on their own, and they have gone a long time without making the necessary moves to upgrade their weak offense. Both teams need to make changes this summer. That's not news. And the Blues aren't the only team whose goaltending has been problematic for a while. Philadelphia comes to mind too. It's not an easy thing to fix.

mjst37

Jun 22, 2015
Any way we can get Vincent Trocheck from Florida without giving up Fabbri, one of our top 4 dman, and Thomas?
Would love to get him for some of the guys like Barbashev, Thompson, Blias, Schmaltz, Sobotka, Jets 1st.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Any way we can get Vincent Trocheck from Florida without giving up Fabbri, one of our top 4 dman, and Thomas?
Would love to get him for some of the guys like Barbashev, Thompson, Blias, Schmaltz, Sobotka, Jets 1st.
Nope......

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Trocheck just had a 70 point year...

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Jeff Carter, despite being older, makes perfect sense for the Blues. He’s a RH shot, can play both C and RW in the top 6, his contract isn’t bad at all, he’s still fast, and his leadership would be huge. Also wouldn’t take them out of the Tavares race.

Maybe something like Thompson+Barbashev/Sobotka+WPG 1st?

Having a potential top 9 of this would be my ideal offseason for the forwards.

Schwartz-Tavares-Schenn
Fabbri-Carter-Tarasenko
Steen-Thomas-Berglund

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

We’re not getting a 70 pt C for our spare parts. I love Trocheck and think he would be terrific here but the the cost would -rightly- be sky high.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

DKUR9Tk.png

Reactions: RoarBacon

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Rumor has it Stl. is looking for a center ....What about Zibanajad from the Rangers ? what are your offers .

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Actually Dubnyk 's numbers were pretty damn decent the last couple of years with the Oilers that he split the duties with the Gawd awful Nick Khabby so we all saw his potential, it's just that the then management was totally clueless on how to build a winner in front of him.

The problem with Dubnyk at the time, which even the most ardent supporters (me among them) couldn't reconcile was his ability to lose the game on a brain-fart despite still putting up a 0.915 or higher on any given night.

He had an unnerving ability to let in an unscreened point shot, or even a bouncer from the neutral zone.

It was Oiler loser-itis and it affects our players differently. We had enough turnover last year to create new hope, but as soon as it (insidious lack of confidence) affected one guy this year, it spread again like wild-fire. This year it was Talbot, who (together with our backups, but mostly him) oddly let in 15 goals on the first shot of the game. I think it was something like 22 within the first 3 shots of the game.

That kind of stuff doesn't happen unless you are in your own head.... Dubnyk had that same issue when he was in Edmonton.

They say goalies are crazy... (I am one)... and watching your teammates make the same mistakes night in, night out has the effect of crossing wires in your brain. Once that happens, it is never certain that they can be uncrossed. Lucky for Dubnyk he managed to straighten out his confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad