Friedman: “Believe Kovalchuk’s eyes are on New York” (if he returns to the NHL

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
Im not familiar with the situation but didnt kovalchuk actually saved the devils by going to the KHL ? I tough they were close to bankruptcy and couldnt pay Kovalchuk...

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Im not familiar with the situation but didnt kovalchuk actually saved the devils by going to the KHL ? I tough they were close to bankruptcy and couldnt pay Kovalchuk...
Well, they certainly have extremely rich owners now.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
You really bumped this thread for that? What in the world

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I thought the Rags were trying to blow it up and rebuild. Nothing like what adding Kovi would mean.
Pretty sure theyre looking to do a quick turnaround. I don’t think Dolan or NY really have the stomach for an Buffalo/Edmonton-style perpetual rebuild. And they have some good parts already. Expecting them back in the playoffs by 19-20 at the latest.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Maybe I'm missing something, but if the Rangers are rebuilding, what do they want with a 35 year old Ilya Kovalchuk?

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Kovalchuk wants to be in New York

He played with Buchnevich in SKA

He is currently playing with our top goalie prospect Shestyorkin on SKA, as well as our newly acquired prospect from the Devils.

Both of their contracts are up after next season.

If Kovy signs, and both Shesty and the Devils prospect come over to the start of the 2019-20 season then he could be very comfortable here, and get paid well.

Kovy in recent year has never been a problem in the lockerroom or playing hard.

I'd take him.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The kid Rykov they just or for Grabner and the Olympic goalie Shert....play w Kovy

Buchnevich also played there so this may make some sense . Nash replacement

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Has he actually said that or is that an assumption? I'm curious if he's stated that officially. If I was in his shoes I would ask myself there is it worth to risk playing your last competitive years under a team that has just published going to be sellers and ultimately leading to a rebuild? Perhaps he also would like to have a proper #1 center to play in Barkov and prefers an old linemate in Dadonov over Buchnevich with whom he played less than 20 games as a teammate. Just raising questions and I honestly don't think that is set on a stone yet.
Fair questions that I don't have the answers to. Just was providing some reasons why he would want to play in New York City.

Reactions: Depch

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I'm sick of this loser.

Elite talent. Heart of a guinea pig.

He can stay in the Home of the Olympic Athletes for Russia as far as I'm concerned.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
People act like Kovy is some scrub now lol. He’s better than Radulov. Tell you that. I’d take him on the Avs. Even a declining Kovalchuk is a top 25 winger in the NHL at this point in his career.

I get the hate for the guy. And I don’t understand the NYR fit. They have no pieces to contend. If he wants to be happy and comfortable with Shestyorkin he might as well just stay at SKA. Get paid and wins championships there.

Don’t see the point in coming here. Making less money. In a foreign country in a league where you’re hated by many. And playing on a trash hockey team. Rangers are not the wave

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Pretty sure theyre looking to do a quick turnaround. I don’t think Dolan or NY really have the stomach for an Buffalo/Edmonton-style perpetual rebuild. And they have some good parts already. Expecting them back in the playoffs by 19-20 at the latest.
I don't think anyone has the stomach for one of those type rebuilds.

Reactions: egelband

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Seems like the NYR are heading in the opposite direction right now. The NYI would definitely show Tavares they were serious about winning, it I can’t see hem paying Kovy and Tavares in the same offseason.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

If they trade McD it's not going to be a quick turnaround. It will take too much time for Kovy.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Tavares isn't re-signing with the Islanders.
I kinda think he will. The Isles finally are going in the right direction. And they’ll have the cap to pay him I imagine. It would be totally reasonable for him to re-sign. Don’t sense a Karlsson situation. Just my feeling anyhow.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Kovalchuk wants to be in New York

He played with Buchnevich in SKA

He is currently playing with our top goalie prospect Shestyorkin on SKA, as well as our newly acquired prospect from the Devils.

Both of their contracts are up after next season.

If Kovy signs, and both Shesty and the Devils prospect come over to the start of the 2019-20 season then he could be very comfortable here, and get paid well.

Kovy in recent year has never been a problem in the lockerroom or playing hard.

I'd take him.

What do you mean by recent years? He led his team to the Cup finals 6 years ago.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
People act like Kovy is some scrub now lol. He’s better than Radulov. Tell you that. I’d take him on the Avs. Even a declining Kovalchuk is a top 25 winger in the NHL at this point in his career.

I get the hate for the guy. And I don’t understand the NYR fit. They have no pieces to contend. If he wants to be happy and comfortable with Shestyorkin he might as well just stay at SKA. Get paid and wins championships there.

Don’t see the point in coming here. Making less money. In a foreign country in a league where you’re hated by many. And playing on a trash hockey team. Rangers are not the wave
Must be nice to have such a short memory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->