Сanada win again next all-stars tournament ?

Сanada right now unbeatable team?

• Total voters

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
We all saw how terrible Ekblad looked at the IIHF. Reilly doesnt hold Seth Jones jockstrap. Similar points or not. That gap will only widen in 4 years. Your more then welcome to start a poll Jones versus Reilly... Carlson is a full 2.5 years younger. That's a big difference once in your 30's. It gets pretty desperate once you start including Ryan Pulock in an potential olympic coversation.

I am pro Canadian but what's coming up the pipeline on our backend lacks star quality. Having a bunch of solid young defenders doesnt equate to having stud star type defenseman that Sweden and the USA are churning out in recent years and moving forward. Most of our defenseman are coming out of the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Where is that cant miss top 3 pick Canadian defenseman ? Yes atrocious was maybe the wrong word to use. It will still be good but not at Sweden or USA level.

2 Canadian defenders are projected to go top 10 this year. Cale Makar went 4th overall last year and lead all defencemen at the World Juniors in points, so typical of Canadian hockey fans to just ignore that fact, but you darn well know for sure if it was some 19 year old Finn who did that and went 4th overall the hype around him would be through the roof, but a Canadian D did it so nobody cares or hypes him.

2 Swedish D went top 31 last year compared to 3 Canadians.

As for the next can't miss Canadian defensemen ISS top 31 has Evan Bouchard of the London Knights 67gp, 25g, 62a, 87 p as the 2nd-3rd best defender after Dahlin/Hughes in this upcoming draft.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
We all saw how terrible Ekblad looked at the IIHF. Reilly doesnt hold Seth Jones jockstrap. Similar points or not. That gap will only widen in 4 years. Your more then welcome to start a poll Jones versus Reilly... Carlson is a full 2.5 years younger. That's a big difference once in your 30's. It gets pretty desperate once you start including Ryan Pulock in an potential olympic coversation.

I am pro Canadian but what's coming up the pipeline on our backend lacks star quality. Having a bunch of solid young defenders doesnt equate to having stud star type defenseman that Sweden and the USA are churning out in recent years and moving forward. Most of our defenseman are coming out of the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Where is that cant miss top 3 pick Canadian defenseman ? Yes atrocious was maybe the wrong word to use. It will still be good but not at Sweden or USA level.
I agree that the American and Swedish Dmen in the NHL project better than Canada's going forward but alot can change and Canada is still churning out higher rated prospects currently.

The top 4 D prospects according to Dobber's are all Canucks with 5 in the top 10 and you only have one Yank at 10
Top 50 Fantasy Prospect Defensemen – May 2018 | DobberHockey – Your Fantasy Hockey Source

Not one Yank was taken in last year's 1st round but Makar (4th) and Foote (14th) were from Canada
2016 only one Yank taken in the 1st round but 5 Canucks were taken

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Burns-Vlasic seems like an unlikely pairing in 4 years. Vlasic might make it though.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
25-under Dman who scored 20 points or more this season

Canada
Miller (25)
Parayko (25)
Rielly (24)
Hamilton (24)
Montour (24)
Matherson (24)
Dumba (23)
Pulock (23)
Morrissey (23)
Nurse (23)
Severson (23)
Ekblad (22)
Theodore (22)
Chabot (21)
Girard (20)

USA
Gositisbere (25)
Slavin (24)
Skjei (24)
Trouba (24)
Jones (23)
Butcher (23)
Hanifin (21)
Werenski (20)
McAvoy (20)

Sweden
Klingberg (25)
Lindholm (24)
Brodin (24)
Klefbom (24)

Canada has the best depth, USA has the higher end talent, Sweden isn't even close.

Reactions: BrainyBomber

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
25-under Dman who scored 20 points or more this season

Canada
Miller (25)
Parayko (25)
Rielly (24)
Hamilton (24)
Montour (24)
Matherson (24)
Dumba (23)
Pulock (23)
Morrissey (23)
Nurse (23)
Severson (23)
Ekblad (22)
Theodore (22)
Chabot (21)
Girard (20)

USA
Gositisbere (25)
Slavin (24)
Skjei (24)
Trouba (24)
Jones (23)
Butcher (23)
Hanifin (21)
Werenski (20)
McAvoy (20)

Sweden
Klingberg (25)
Lindholm (24)
Brodin (24)
Klefbom (24)

Canada has the best depth, USA has the higher end talent, Sweden isn't even close.

Canada have the best depth yes, no surprise there, but their young top players among d is not so impressing compare to some other countries at least, and btw Klingberg is a tier above all those d-men you mention, plus sweden has Dahlin in the making. To 2022 if not earlier he will be ready for sure. But otherwize i would agree that after the golden generation of karlsson, OEL and Hedman, it has been a lack of d-men of that caliber comming from sweden other than Klingberg and probabaly Dahlin now and maybe Boqvist.

Overall think USA has easily the best 25 and younger D in NHL right now. Sweden is a distant 2 thanks to Klingberg.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
canadas defence do not match their forwards, espically not going forward. But they are still good enough and d-men are not even close to as importent as forwards are. So even if sweden and usa clearly have better d-men than canada, canada is still heavy favorites in 2020 and 2022.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Canada have the best depth yes, no surprise there, but their young top players among d is not so impressing compare to some other countries at least, and btw Klingberg is a tier above all those d-men you mention, plus sweden has Dahlin in the making. To 2022 if not earlier he will be ready for sure. But otherwize i would agree that after the golden generation of karlsson, OEL and Hedman, it has been a lack of d-men of that caliber comming from sweden other than Klingberg and probabaly Dahlin now and maybe Boqvist.

Overall think USA has easily the best 25 and younger D in NHL right now. Sweden is a distant 2 thanks to Klingberg.

I didn't include players not in the NHL just because it's impossible to really predict the growth of defenceman between now and 2020. If the hype around Dahlin is for real then he'll probably top Klingberg but I think the guys making an impact in the NHL right now will for sure be a factor in 2020. As you said the current crop of Swedish defenceman is so good that this likely won't be a factor before 2022.

Yeah after thinking it over 'not close' isn't fair to say considering they are adding what is projected to be a generational player in Dahlin to that group. I also really like some of the younger forwards a lot so I hope I didn't come off as diminishing Sweden. They will obviously be a gold medal favorite the next two tournaments even without any major additions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad