Рopularity of hockey in Germany

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
As you can see, the very last post is from 2014. I am wondering if something has changed since then and hockey is getting bigger in Germany?

One would think it would, given their silver medal at the last Olympics. Sure it probably would not have happened if the NHL was there, but regardless, it’s still a pretty huge accomplishment.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
It's football and then nothing for a long time. Hockey, basketball and handball are similarly popular and it depends on the area which one is more visible. I wouldn't even bring up sports like ski jumping or biathlon because those events occupy public consciousness only for special events like the Vierschanzentournee or the Olympics but otherwise are irrelevant. During Olympics anything can get ratings provided Germans are contending for medals, it says nothing about the sport's popularity in general.

The only sports that really exist as professional leagues with solid spectator numbers outside football are handball, basketball and hockey. Hockey I believe is the most attractive sport out of the lot but it faces an uphill struggle as even if you enjoy watching it, it's a struggle to play it. Rinks aren't very common and equipment is pricey. Basketball and handball on the other hand are popular sports at the school level, don't require special equipment or a special surface. Not surprisingly Germany is more competitive in those other sports than in hockey and thus viewership and media attention for international tournaments is much bigger. It has to be pointed out though that the leagues in all three sports had to fight for their TV presence as really only football is guaranteed a spot, so hockey's lot is shared by basketball and handball in that regard.
Regarding the bolded I remember seeing Bastian Schweinsteiger excited about Germany possibly winning Olympic gold in hockey versus Russia. I too wanted this to happen not just for Germany but because their head coach used to play for San Jose Sharks.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
One thing that probably also helped basketball in Germany was the surprising European Championship win in 1993.
It was certainly what elevated my casual interest in the game onto another level. I still remember most of the names of the players on the team and almost none of them (I think it was only Welp) have ever played in the NBA, and at the time none of them did.

I wonder if the Olympic silver medal will have a similar effect on some people when it comes to hockey. But I doubt it will be widespread across the country.

PenDuhNotPittsburgh

May 13, 2017
Krefeld
I think, hockey is more popular in America, than in Germany, though.
100% true. Germans pretty much only care about 1st football.......
......2nd formula, boxing, tennis......... and then 3rd the group of hockey, basketball, handball

With football consuming 60% of sport's broadcasting time,
the second group probably 15%
the third group probably 15%
and all the rest taken together 10%

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
100% true. Germans pretty much only care about 1st football.......
......2nd formula, boxing, tennis......... and then 3rd the group of hockey, basketball, handball

With football consuming 60% of sport's broadcasting time,
the second group probably 15%
the third group probably 15%
and all the rest taken together 10%
Handball is bigger than hockey and basketball here in germany and should be in the second tier. Winter sports like ski jumping, biathlon and ski alpin are also very popular especially in south and east germany

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I think regarding team sports its

1. Football

2. Handball (national team games had the best tv ratings out of any sporting event even ahead of football games)

3. Hockey and Basketball.

I feel like Hockey has probably a more dedicated following than Basketball and probably even some Handball teams, however there are still way more people playing basketball casually (obviously as its way easier to play) and Handball in general generates more interest. I feel like Hockey has a good chance on overtaking Basketball however.

Reactions: Kleefeld

member 305909

I must admit that I didn't know that a sport like that American handball even existed. It looks like squash without rackets.

As for American football and baseball trying to break into Europe: no chance. Both are viewed anywhere in Europe as totally foreign sports.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s changed a lot from when I played hockey in Germany for HSV growing up.

Back then we only had an outdoor rink, our nearest opponent was a few hours away, and we introduced neck guards to the league because opposing coaches always asked what my brother and I were wearing.

This would have been during the mid 1980s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad