First Recorded Moments in Hockey - Timeline

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
I made a short timeline of some significant “firsts” in the history of hockey.
This way we’ll have a better overview on what’s been found so far.
Feel free to add new things to the timeline, corrections are also welcome. The cut-off point here is the year 1900. I only want the early stuff. A separate timeline can be made from 1900 and onwards. New things are discovered all the time, and we’re pushing things further back all the time.

1797 - First use of a bung/puck - England

There are many accounts of hockey on ice being played with various type of bungs, some made of wood, some of cork and some of india rubber. The oldest evidence that we have of so far is the great Joseph Le Petit engraving from 1797 (London). Unfortunately the original is trimmed so we don’t know what the name of the engraving is.

1822 - First use of the word hockey (on ice) - England

The word hockey in connection with the game appeared for the first time in 1773 (London), but that was field hockey of course.
The 1527 Galway Statues mentioning “hookie sticks” most likely referred to “hooked sticks”. So what is the earliest found article on hockey being played on the ice? Probably the drowning of Fred Leatherbarrow in St.James’s Park in London, reported in 1822.There are of course earlier instances of bandy or shinty on the ice being mentioned (in England and Scotland).

1827/1858 - First use of referees - England

The information about 1827 came from Richard Brown who was a referee that year, as told to Charles Goodman Tebbutt more than 60 years later. The first contemporary evidence of referees was told by George Frederick Pardon in the 1858 book Games for All Seasons where he described the game on the ice with an umpire calling play.

1827/1871 - First identified goaltender - England

The first identified goalie that we have is John Jackson from Earith who was in goal in 1827. That information however came from interviews of participating players more than 60 years later by Charles Goodman Tebbutt. Another first hand recollection came from an 1894 book written by John Dugdale Astley who vividly recollected how the Prince Consort and Lord Listowel were goalies in a game played 1853. The oldest contemporary note that I have is from a game played in 1871 in Bury Fen where one of the Tebbutt brothers was in goal.

1827/1871 – First identified captain(s) in a game - England

The first known captain was William Leeland in 1827. However that was not a contemporary observation, but we know that for example Glossary of North Country Words, in Use from 1829 described that a game was headed by two captains, so we know through a contemporary source that captains were in use at that time. First known contemporary reference so far is from a game played on January 3, 1871 with William Meadows (Bluntisham) and Christopher Smith Billups (Chatteris) as captains.

1831 – First organized game - England

Organized means that the game was planned ahead of time. The first such game that I am aware of was played on a field of ice in Colne Fen between nine players from Bluntisham and nine players from Colne on February 4, 1831.

1847 - First stick manufacturer - England

The earliest hockey stick manufacturer as far as I’ve been able to find, was John Owen Byles in London who advertised them in Bells Life as early as 1847. These were of course primarily made for field hockey, but no doubt could be used for playing on the ice as well. Conover & Walker, a hardware and sporting goods store on Broadway in lower Manhattan sold “Shinny sticks” as early as 1860, unclear though if they also manufactured them, or only sold them.

1850/1857 – First recorded medical injury - England

In 1857, the Medical Chronicle published a clinical lecture by prominent London surgeon Dr. William Lawrence, who discussed an ice hockey-related injury that he had treated in England seven years earlier. "In the winter of 1850, it appears, the patient was playing on the ice; while engaged in some game, the precise nature of which I do not understand, and termed 'hocky' -- a game, as I learn (and you will correct me if I'm wrong,) where there is hard hitting of a ball, or hard hitting of a hard ball, which struck the side of the leg, or tibia, of this poor young man. He says he did not make anything of it at the time, nor did he interrupt his playing; he even went on in the excitement of the game till he unluckily got a second blow, but this time with the 'hocky' stick, on the identical same spot.”

1868 - First written rules for ice hockey - England

Of course, we are all aware of the rules that were published in The (Montreal) Gazette on February 27, 1877, pretty much verbatim from the 1875 field hockey rules. But in 1868 the Boy’s Own Book listed six rules, saying that “with a party of good skaters, this game affords fine sport, but of course can only be played on a sheet of ice of great extent.”

1870 – First game with rosters and goalscorers - England

The ice hockey game between Spetchley and Worcester on December 27, 1870 is the earliest known game with all players identified (ten aside), as well as the goalscorers. Spetchley won the game 4-3.

1871 – First known assist in a game - England

Neville Goodman (Chatteris) in a game against Bluntisham

1871 – First known hat-trick in a game - England

The ice hockey game between seven aside of Moor Park and Oxfordshire (5-2) on February 2, 1871 is the earliest known game where a player scored a hat-trick. 24-year old Algernon Henry Grosvenor scored three goals in the win. Grosvenor played into his early 50s, playing for Princes ice Hockey Club in the late 1890s. The entire family loved hockey and played the game whenever they could.

1871 - First account of a game being timed - England

A game between Elsham Club and Brigg Club (eight aside) is the first known game where the time of all goals were noted.

1875 - First indoor game - Canada

The late Dartmouth historian, Dr.John P.Martin, wrote that the newspapers did report about indoor hockey games in the new Halifax rink 1863. This has never been substantiated. I know that eight different local Halifax newspapers were checked in order to find any evidence of it, but nothing was found. Montreal on the other hand definitely played indoors 1875, so that is an undisputed fact.

1876 – First use of the word “puck” describing the playing object - Canada

The first time it appeared was in The (Montreal) Gazette on February 7, 1876 in a game between Victoria Skating Club and Montreal Football Club. “a scramble, the puck is away and glides to the feet of two young ladies…”

1876 - First identified skater positions - Canada

Added by Iain Fyffe
The February 7, 1876 edition of the Montreal Gazette describes the Montreal FC team playing four forwards, two half-backs and two backs (plus a goalkeeper). I'm not aware of any earlier references, which would probably have to come from England if there are any.

1880 - First lecture on the sport - England

A Scotsman by the name of Charles Carnegie held a course of lectures in Kirriemuir (Scotland) 1861. One of them titled "Games and Amusements" touched on the game of Lacrosse on skates, even though he called it hockey. The first to hold a lecture and talk about hockey on the ice was Neville Goodman at St.Ives in 1880.

1881 – First specific skate made for the sport - England

The "Standard Hockey Skates" authorized to be used by the National Skating Association were in use in 1881 at the latest. These were manufactured in Sheffield by Colquhoun & Cadman and the Marsden Brothers. These were the first specific ice hockey skates. They had the letters S.H. (Standard Hockey), upon the blade and upon the straps, they also had a symbol of two crossed sticks and a ball.

1883 – First tournament - Canada

The Montreal Winter Carnival in 1883 had the first tournament. It was played on the St.Lawrence river between January 26 and January 27. Three teams participated: Montreal, McGill and Quebec.

1883 – First rules drawn up by a national association - England

The National Skating Association (NSA) adopted a set of rules for the Fens and Metropolitan District. These rules are the earliest known ice hockey rules to have been published by a structured sports organization, pre-dating the Canadian AHAC rules by more than four years.

1886 - First international tournament - USA

Added by Iain Fyffe
When the Montreal winter carnival was cancelled in 1886, two Montreal clubs (AAA and Crystals) traveled to the Burlington, VT carnival to play in a tournament with a local team representing a hotel called Van Ness House. The Vermonters managed no goals and lost both of their games, while the AAA won the title with their victory over Crystals.

1886 – Formation of the first league - Canada

Amateur Hockey Association of Canada (AHAC) was founded on December 8, 1886 in Montreal.

1891 - First goal netsUSA

Ok, so it was ice polo, but the photos of the Starrs Agricultural School in Connecticut, using nets as early as 1890/91 qualifies in my book. This area obviously needs further research. The Rink Hockey Association (ice hockey) in London had goal nets in their rules as early as March 26, 1897. I know that goal nets were used in Canada within a year or two as well. The earliest use of goal nets in Canada that I am aware of was in early January 1899 (Niagara Falls).
I even think the CAHL adopted nets to their rules that same year.

1896 - First book written on ice hockey - England

The first known book written on ice hockey was A Handbook of Bandy; or Hockey on the Ice, written by Arnold Tebbutt.
It was first published on January 15, 1896 and had 57 pages.

Added by Iain Fyffe
Art Farrell's 1899 work Hockey: Canada's Royal Winter Game is the earliest known work on the subject in Canada.

1899 - First goalie mask - Canada

The earliest instance that I am aware of is from January 1899 when Edgar Hiscock of the Kingston Frontenacs probably used one.
He broke his nose in a game and it was said that he would be forced to wear a baseball mask in future games. It is still unclear if he did, but it is highly probable.

Last edited:

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Are you not considering the 1859 Boston Gazette article about ricket in Halifax to be an instance of written rules?

No, the ones I was talking about were published in a book under the heading, "These are the rules". The Boston Evening Gazette was just an article trying to explain the game of ricket.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Can you provide an image of the 1847 field hockey stick so that readers can see if it is adaptable to ice hockey as claimed.

There is no image of these sticks. The manufacturer advertised these in the newspapers. Could they have been used for playing the game on the ice (with skates) ? We of course don't know, but why not ? I don't see why a field hockey stick would stop anyone from using it in ice hockey. If you have any other early hockey manufacturer that you want to share with us, then that would be great.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Ice Hockey Stick

There is no image of these sticks. The manufacturer advertised these in the newspapers. Could they have been used for playing the game on the ice (with skates) ? We of course don't know, but why not ? I don't see why a field hockey stick would stop anyone from using it in ice hockey. If you have any other early hockey manufacturer that you want to share with us, then that would be great.

Well other than the fact that a field hockey stick features a blade that is flat on one side and rounded on the other while a ice hockey stick from the era featured a blade that was flat on both sides. Google field hockey stic images for plenty of images illustrating the difference and research the field hockey rules and how stick use is limited.

Advertising in a newspaper is not evidence of the earliest stick - field or ice hockey. It is just evidence of the earliest advertising.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Well other than the fact that a field hockey stick features a blade that is flat on one side and rounded on the other while a ice hockey stick from the era featured a blade that was flat on both sides. Google field hockey stic images for plenty of images illustrating the difference and research the field hockey rules and how stick use is limited.

Advertising in a newspaper is not evidence of the earliest stick - field or ice hockey. It is just evidence of the earliest advertising.

I am very well aware of how a field hockey stick looks like. To adjust it for the game on the ice would not have been a problem at all.
Or do you think that a rounded side of a blade would have stopped someone from using them on the ice ?
The advertise by the manufacturer showed that hockey sticks were produced commercially back then, that's the point. Neither you or I can prove our standpoints. You think they couldn't use a field hockey stick for game on the ice, I think they could. So we can leave it at that, because we won't get beyond that point anyway. If the sticks are your thing, then please feel free to add an ad or something that you think is more appropriate. I welcome any additions.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Ice Hockey

I am very well aware of how a field hockey stick looks like. To adjust it for the game on the ice would not have been a problem at all.
Or do you think that a rounded side of a blade would have stopped someone from using them on the ice ?
The advertise by the manufacturer showed that hockey sticks were produced commercially back then, that's the point. Neither you or I can prove our standpoints. You think they couldn't use a field hockey stick for game on the ice, I think they could. So we can leave it at that, because we won't get beyond that point anyway. If the sticks are your thing, then please feel free to add an ad or something that you think is more appropriate. I welcome any additions.

By adjust you mean what? Tooling the round side flat? Then it would no longer be a field hockey stick. No one has ever claimed this was done.

Ice Hockey sticks allow for RHS and LHS and backhands, Field hockey sticks and rules do not. The rounded side inhibits handling the ice hockey projectile in the usual manner.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Commercial

Advertising does not imply commercial production. It implies advertising.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Well other than the fact that a field hockey stick features a blade that is flat on one side and rounded on the other while a ice hockey stick from the era featured a blade that was flat on both sides.
Are you saying that you cannot play a version of hockey on ice using field hockey sticks? (Which means, I suppose, I'm once again I'm asking what do you mean by ice hockey?)

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Sticks

Are you saying that you cannot play a version of hockey on ice using field hockey sticks? (Which means, I suppose, I'm once again I'm asking what do you mean by ice hockey?)

You can use croquet mallets but that would not make them ice hockey sticks either. Likewise people play broomball on ice or on ice hockey rinks, indoors or outdoors, and have done so for ages but they do not call it hockey nor do they pretend that brooms are hockey sticks.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I welcome any additions.

... interesting & fun list RGO. It really is a shame the Native North American's in the Maritimes didnt keep written records, as we do have anecdotal inf that they were indeed producing hand carved hockey sticks out there prior to that advertisement you uncovered..... also, it could be some people did indeed use Field Hockey Sticks, however, Id also think theyd have used Irish Hurley Sticks of 17th~18th Century vintage. Not the modern version with the pocket in the blade, but a flat bladed stick. Length a bit longer than the ones used today as well....

The rounded side inhibits handling the ice hockey projectile in the usual manner.

Ya, all true C58. But as it was a strictly for fun pickup type situation in the UK, Im sure people used FH Stix to play on ice. Close enough. Come by chance type dealeo. There must be still some undiscovered records, adpanels etc, even early early examples of sticks dryer than straw in old attic's & barn lofts both sides of the pond.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Here are drawings (edir. well engravings) of different kind of field hockey sticks from 1868 Every boys book. I don´t know much about the subject but there didn´t seem to be a standard stick. Next page talks about using cask bung in hockey.

https://archive.org/stream/everyboysbookcom00routrich#page/264/mode/2up

Earlier version of this book which most likely had also hockey chapter was heavily advertised in The British Colonist during winter of 1856-1857 (this is how I found it)
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=NPQGAAAAIBAJ&sjid=CDUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5507%2C885987

And just in case I do not believe that this book has much to do with anything :)

Last edited:

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
By adjust you mean what? Tooling the round side flat? Then it would no longer be a field hockey stick. No one has ever claimed this was done. Ice Hockey sticks allow for RHS and LHS and backhands, Field hockey sticks and rules do not. The rounded side inhibits handling the ice hockey projectile in the usual manner.

This was in 1847 and if anyone wanted to "adjust" a field hockey stick so that it would be better suited for the game on the ice, then I don't see a problem with it. You obviously do, which is fine, but you won't change my opinion on it with any of your subjective interpretations of things. By the way, I said that I believe these sticks were field hockey sticks, but the ad only said "an extensive assortment of hockeys", so it could be both (or just) field/ice hockey sticks. We just don't know.

Advertising does not imply commercial production. It implies advertising.

Well, the ad said that the J.O.Byles company had "manufactured an extensive assortment of hockeys, on an improved principle".
Commercial or not, he wasn't sitting and carving out single hockey sticks, he was manufacturing them, which implies that it was done on a larger scale than just carving out a few sticks that someone ordered. Instead of getting caught up with words, it would be nice if new stuff could be presented by you (or anyone else).

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker

The February 7, 1876 edition of the Montreal Gazette describes the Montreal FC team playing four forwards, two half-backs and two backs (plus a goalkeeper). I'm not aware of any earlier references, which would probably have to come from England if there are any.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
1886 - First international tournament - USA

When the Montreal winter carnival was cancelled in 1886, two Montreal clubs (AAA and Crystals) traveled to the Burlington, VT carnival to play in a tournament with a local team representing a hotel called Van Ness House. The Vermonters managed no goals and lost both of their games, while the AAA won the title with their victory over Crystals.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009

Excellent additions Iain, I had all three of them on my list to add, but wanted to make further research before posting them. There are English games earlier than 1876 talking about goaltenders and defenders, but not as detailed as the Montreal game, listing all positions.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Great thread. For a long time, I've felt that the early origins of hockey was the one topic really missing from this board. It's far from my area of expertise, so I wasn't going to be the one to lead the discussion.

I'm glad to see the topic finally getting the attention it deserves over the last few months, and this thread looks to be a great summary of what is known already.

Theokritos and I (mostly theokritos) have been trying to keep the "origins and early development of hockey" section in the megasticky thread up to date, and I added a link to this thread. If anyone has any suggestions on how to manage or organize that area or whether any of the older stickied threads are no longer needed, PM either him or me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->